software engineerin, where @? (1 Viewer)

mp3mojo

ne suggestions ppl?
where should i go 4 software engineerin?
UTS, UNSW or USYD? thanx

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I know someone who does it at UTS...and I had planned to do it at UTS as well... I think UTS is probably the best uni for it because of their internship program as part of the course so you get experience along the way.

mp3mojo

yeah i kno UTS offers betta training but then again UNSW is more known internationally.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
really dunno wat 2 do...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo
yeah i kno UTS offers betta training but then again UNSW is more known internationally.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
really dunno wat 2 do...
UNSW is a prestigious uni... that is why everyone goes there. *shrugs* It's really your choice then between prestige and better training.
Speaking on an international basis... employers overseas would also much rather prefer you to have a bit of work experience along with the degree in hand rather than just a fresh uni student with no experience.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
..and which uni you like better. ;)

UTS has Building 10 *sighs* but I'm going to UNSW (Comp Sci, hopefully)

mp3mojo

i lik both the uts & unsw environments, so it doesnt really matter

i kno businesses prefer experience, but i can always get experience after my course in unsw rite?

arrr so confused.... not many days left 2 decide either....

T

tekster

My older brother is currently in his final year of Software Engineering @ UNSW. From what I've heard, UNSW is the more prestigious for computer related courses with generally high cut-offs (UNSW Software 95.25, dunno about the others.. but I remember them being lower).

In terms of training/industry preparation I'm not too sure about UNSW but from what I've heard, at the end of the day you're competing for the same job as computer engineers, telecommunications engineers and other assorted IT courses.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo

i kno businesses prefer experience, but i can always get experience after my course in unsw rite?
Hmm how are you going to get experience *after* the course if you have no experience? That probably doesn't make sense but think about it... whether your degree is from UNSW or UTS it will be of the same value. However, a degree from UTS also gave you an oppurtunity to see what it is like in the real field. So when two people from the respective uni's are applying for the same position ... the employer will favour the experience not "Amazing, he's from UNSW".

mp3mojo

so basically when i finish my course form whicheva uni, ill hve no experience anywayz, not even if the course itself has 'industrial training'?

let me set the scene:
* UTS, 5 years, B eng s/w & Dip of eng prac
* UNSW 4 years, B eng s/w (course includes 60 days of industrial training).

which course do u guys reckon u would choose? cos i really dun hve a clue. if i can, i would luv 2 go 2 both, so i wont hve 2 decide hehehe :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)