Software Developers View of Hardware - Last Question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys what did u think of the very last question in software develpoers view of hardware? The one where u had to make ur own logic gate. Personally i thought it was a bit of a crap question, they didnt really exaplain 2 well what they actually wanted, so i wasnt sure what to do, ended up drawin some weird think but software teacher reckons i'll at least get a mark or 2 for it lol, she didnt really understand the question either? I saw her after the test and we discussed it and she seemed rather confused by it lol. Other than that i think i blitzed it pretty well, hopin 4 90+

Ghost1788

HSC
that question was preety good

all you had to do was make sure that a signal of 0111 produced an end result of 0
and anything else was 0

i put something like...

BIT 1--------------------------------OR-------MOTOR

BIT 2-----------------NAND--------/

BIT 3-----AND------/

BIT 4-----/

i cant remember wat i put...all i know is that it worked out...

Last edited:

helenpoo

HSC
I thought it meant that the motor would be on for every combination but 0 1 1 1?

I completely screwed that one up. I wouldn't even want to talk about it, but I like torturing myself.

Ghost1788

HSC
helenpoo said:
I thought it meant that the motor would be on for every combination but 0 1 1 1?

I completely screwed that one up. I wouldn't even want to talk about it, but I like torturing myself.
Yes it did

all you had to do was make the logic gate that would do that...

HSC
hmm yeah i thought same as u helenpoo, i drew a thinkg that satisfied that, cant remember what though and did a truth table to make sure, so hopefully i'll get somethin 4 it, oh well it was only 1 stupid question worth 4 marks so i dont care, plus softwares finally over so im happy lol now only physics 2 go and i can go out and get pissed lol

helenpoo

HSC
Yeaaa.. you can just call me helen :p

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around Ghost's piccie.

Ideas Man

HSC
Ghost1788 said:
that question was preety good

all you had to do was make sure that a signal of 0111 produced an end result of 0
and anything else was 0

i put

BIT 1--------------------------------OR-------MOTOR

BIT 2-----------------AND--------/

BIT 3-----AND------/

BIT 4-----/
Nah, that's wrong, if it's 0111 like it's supposed to be, then motor will be 1, which is wrong.

HSC
I found this question easy - my explanation may be a bit off though, but i got the right circuit in the end.

didn't particuly like the one on floating point though. wasn't really sure what to write there

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Is it just me or was that last question far to easy for 4 marks?

NOT the first one then and 1 AND 2, 3 AND 4, and NAND Those two results.

What compenent is the EOD control structure in?

clintmo

i answered this in other thread,

bit 1 had a not coming off it

bit 1 and 2 met at an AND

bit 3 and 4 met at an AND

The outputs of these two AND's met at a NAND

(that is my answer)

EDIT: its located in the trailer information, the end part :p

Ideas Man

HSC
chooette said:
What compenent is the EOD control structure in?
I said the very end, because EOD which looks like it stands for End Of Document, tells the printer to clear itself, set itself to wait and that it's the end of data i.e. end of printing.

HSC
hey im pretty sure i got it all right. her Karen what u doin here u dont do software lol, im guessin thats breesy on ur account?

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Yeah, i said the end slash MSGEND... Still very unsure about what that question even means.

theking2nv99

Would it be possible for someone to explain it out for me. I really sucked in this last part and got lost. If anyone could explain it out for me it'd be much appreciated

HSC
theking2nv99 said:
Would it be possible for someone to explain it out for me. I really sucked in this last part and got lost. If anyone could explain it out for me it'd be much appreciated

well here is the very last part

1) the first bit - put a not on it

2) the second and third bits - and

3) the third and fourth bit - and

4) put an and on the results from (2) and (3) - this will mean that only if the second, third and fourth bits are 1, then result from this bit is 1

5) put a nand gate on the results from (4) and (1), so only if bit1 is 0, which is then turned into 1, by the not gate we put on earlier, is this result going to be 0 - which is was what wanted

HSC
Oh god, section 3 was hard. Spftware developers section anyway, I was tempted to have a crack at evolutionary of prog languages. lol.

Oh and what about that sort algorithm?? Ugh mine half worked.

InFeRn0

HSC
did u all read the question properly ... it said converting all other four-bit signals to 1 ...

bentrengrove

all i did was stick a not gate on bit 1 then stick them all into a 4 input nand gate.
That way only one of them can come out as 0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)