so...its february and you haven't started your pip... (1 Viewer)

*Erika*

HSC
i know i was in this boat last year, and everything changed for the better when my teacher gave us a small research assessment task...made it worth 5%, so we had to do it, but it was for our benifit, not so much to contibute to our overall results...

find 5 secondary sources on your subject, from at least three different places (a book, a documentary, an interveiw, a newspaper artical) and go through them....

list all the society and culture concepts you can relate to your topic, (and make sure you use them all in your pip, even if you only mention their realtionship to the topic breifly)

with the 5 sources, write a page on each summarising the information you got from them and how it has helped with your pip...if the source hasn't helped, still summarise the info from it, but find another source that is more useful and add it to your other 5 sources...

then, write a 1000 word essay, just on the topic, nothing too specific...just refering to secondary sources...

then you're set...you have half your bibliography done...a better understanding of your topic and an short essay which you can expand on and develop into your p.i.p by adding the other elements needed

for each 'thing' you wanna cover in your pip, remember...

1. Explain the piece of info you wanna present/your theory on something
2. Show your personal experience with the 'thing'
3. Show how secondary research either compliments or disproves your ideas
4. Show how your primary research " " "
5. Show how the thing, idea, theory or peice of info is relevant to the society and culture course...

its a really simple way to structure your ideas, and shows the syntheis of your information...

also, have a linking paragraph between each concept or idea you're covering...

with your intro, give a broad overveiw of the topic, make sure you cover the methadologies you used, how effective the were and why you used them....and why you picked your topic in the first place, like, it's importance to you, and its relevance to the course....

and refer to how your pip has expanded your social and cultural literacy in your conclusion...

well, thats how got taught how to do it, by a head marker and it made it much easier for me, and i went really well, so i hope it helps you get a kick start on your project...don't leave it till the day/week before its due...it nearly killed me!

if you're really struggling to keep to it, talk to your teacher and do it in chunks...like, ask if you could hand in your log one week for them to look over, and then your intro the next week....a draft the next week, and another draft a few weeks down the track, and then maybe your conclusion...the best bit about this approach is they can tell you where and how you can make your pip better...which keeps you on track, while improving the quality of your work... which = good marks, and a piece of work you can be proud of

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Great idea Erika, for the Class of 2005.

freaked

HSC
Well its almost the end of February and even though I have started researching (sort of) I haven't gotten very far, so I'm going to give your idea a go.
Is anyone else as far behind as I am??

soulshine

HSC
yeah man. *puts hand up*

i was given an assessment to hand in last week: a submission of my log so far, a list of resources, and a short analysis of my cross cultural component. i only decided on my topic 2 days before it was due. and since then i've done nothing. so. yeah. i dunno where that puts me in the scheme of things but i'd say that now's the time i should get my bum into gear.

Kulazzi

HSC
we have to an assesment speech based on our PIP---> methodology, cross-cultural conponent, etc. etc. I thinnk to cover the introduction

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
yeha i had a speech to do as well...it was an assessment but it really helped me to get my ideas in order. trust me buy a small hand held tape recorder and anytime u get an idea or comment about ur pip just grab it and record it no matter how stupid it sounds.
when you listen back to it u find good ideas and i find it a good way to keep a basic log.

Zackeroo

HSC
So... It's June and I've kinda made a start

Just wondering tho (idk if imma get any replies on this since this is an old thread) does anyone else have a school which asks for the PIP a whole month before the actual Nesa due date? Mine is due 3rd July, but the PIP is actually due to Nesa on 3rd August

quickoats

HSC
So... It's June and I've kinda made a start

Just wondering tho (idk if imma get any replies on this since this is an old thread) does anyone else have a school which asks for the PIP a whole month before the actual Nesa due date? Mine is due 3rd July, but the PIP is actually due to Nesa on 3rd August
My teacher had a really early due date, but didn’t require a 100% finished product - he just wanted it pretty much done. You are free to add, edit, and adjust your pip in the month, but your teacher probably wants your class to have some accountability so there’s no last minute pip dramas

Zackeroo

HSC
My teacher had a really early due date, but didn’t require a 100% finished product - he just wanted it pretty much done. You are free to add, edit, and adjust your pip in the month, but your teacher probably wants your class to have some accountability so there’s no last minute pip dramas
Yea, I realised, but I felt like a whole month before was a bit too early

quickoats

HSC
Yea, I realised, but I felt like a whole month before was a bit too early
lmao talk about a month before... my teacher wanted pips done by February right when we came back from holidays. this of course did not happen, but my class probably made more progress than we would’ve if he didn’t enforce a very early deadline.

Zackeroo

HSC
lmao talk about a month before... my teacher wanted pips done by February right when we came back from holidays. this of course did not happen, but my class probably made more progress than we would’ve if he didn’t enforce a very early deadline.
WOWW, very interesting... In February, my teacher wanted a first draft of Chapter 1... and I thought that was early 😂

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)