SMSHS: Is Year 12 Entry Worth It? (1 Viewer)

StrawberryZephyr

HSC
Hi! Earlier this year I was considering applying for St Marys Senior High School and I asked on here for advice. I got a lot of mixed responses, and the end result was I decided not to apply because I was too uncertain. I have since changed my mind, but the applications for year 11 entry have closed. I'm still able to apply for year 12 entry though (applications open in December), and for the past few weeks, I have been debating whether I should apply for year 12.

My only qualm is whether it's worth it. Changing schools will mean I'll have different teachers, have to make new friends, and be in a completely different environment, and I'm not sure if it's worth all the extra stress that could come with it.

So my question to you: Is it worth it to enter SMSHS in year 12, or should I just stay where I am? (I'm currently at a pretty low ranked high school, I think it was 440 or something last time I checked)

Thank you!!

Last edited:

TheShy

HSC
Like the above said, it's not a bad school, I would go if I were you and it'll be cool to see u in yr12

lolzdj

HSC
St Marys is pretty great. I have a mate who moved over from another school recently (for year 12) and he's having a pretty good time.

StrawberryZephyr

HSC
Thanks! I'll apply once the applications open. Do you have any tips for getting in? I've heard that EC's are good, but what else could I put in my application to give me a better chance of getting in?

StrawberryZephyr

HSC
I didn't get in (For Year 11 Entry) because I had crap comments, (messing around in class), though my grades were actually good and I got Distinctions and High-Distinctions in AMC, ICAS etc which I attached.

The point is they only look at your comments, I even appealed to them saying why they didn't accept me because they accepeted lower ability students, heaps of dumb people with D grades made it from my school, they just had good comments and they behave in class. They actually explained to me they just use comments to judge the outcome. Tell me the quickest way to judge 900+ applications in just a span of 3 weeks, they can't properly analyse everyone so they read the comments and when they replied back after my appeal they said they mainly look at comments. They give the outcome 3 weeks after closing date btw.

I would say just don't bludge in class and act like your trying very hard so you get those positive teacher comments. Should get you in.
Thanks!! I'll definitely have to make sure I get good comments then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)