SMH article (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Sah
umm... formulas do give meaning concept. If one can actually understand the formula they will learn the concept. It can work the other way too. For example that formula tells u that the intensity of EM radiation given off by a black body cavity is a function of the frequency of the wave and the temperature of the black body. This resembles the graph of the freqeuncy and the intensity. Sure it probably wont explain how plank came up with all this stuff but it will help show the results. Planks results were emperical any ways, he got the formula from experiments then he went and said that for this to happen electron oscillation must be quantised.

Yeah the new BOS syllabis are kinda crappy, but they attempt to make subjects more "interesting" to people. The did succeed to a small degree because the new physics sylabis is ok. Quanta to quarks is pretty interesting for me but space and motors are pretty boring.
yeah, they made it crap to increase the amount of kids doing it....but then again u can't call it physics, and i reckon in a couple of years time, all hsc kids will b asked to do a bridging course for physics, regardless if u've done it or not. :D

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
i dont see whats wrong with the impact on society stuff...whats the point of learning the stuff if u dont know what the hell it means for people

Affinity

HSC
oh, there's nothing wrong with thinking about what it means to people, but including it in the syllabus FORCES you to take one stance, for example, I would not be able score any marks if I express my opinion that the impact of understanding superconductivity on society was next to nothing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)