Should I drop extension english 1? (1 Viewer)

ivyska

HSC
Hello! I'm currently doing Maths Adv, English Ext 1, SOR2, Legal Studies, Biology and Modern. I'm trying to decide if I should drop the extension and just do advanced English. For context, originally I never wanted to do extension English, but my year 9 English teacher persuaded me to try and I don't plan on following through with an English-based subject in university. So I'm wondering if I should just drop it. I do enjoy English, hence taking advanced, but it's by far not my favourite subject and I don't feel very confident in it, considering my mid marks in the subject last year.

I can't speak to how hard the course is, I'm only 4 weeks in and there hasn't been much homework for any subject, so I don't know how I'll perform when the subject ramps up, and that's what I'm worried about. I think I'd rather just drop it, as I'm on 12 units without it, and just channel my energy into subjects I actually feel confident in.

So in my situation, would there be any reason not to drop it? I find the course interesting so far, macolobilalisn (no spell check) stuff and from the other forum posts I've read extension does greatly help with work in advance and seeing as half of my subjects are HISE-based, doing extension would probably help with them too, but is it worth it for the lost time?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that you should consider both options in order to make a more informed decision.

Dropping English Extension 1:

Your reasons for dropping English Extension 1 can be summarised as follows:
  • You never wanted to take this subject in the first place.
  • You do not plan to pursue a degree where it is assumed that you have studied a higher level of English.
  • You are not as interested in it as you are in your other subjects.
  • Your previous marks have not been at a standard that you would consider favourable, making you question whether you should keep English Extension 1.
You definitely express valid reasons for wanting to drop this subject, which would justify dropping it in the event that this is your decision.

Keeping English Extension 1:

Your reasons for keeping English Extension 1, as well as a reason that I included (which you may already be aware of) can be summarised as follows:
  • You have so far been interested in the content, potentially indicating a positive experience.
  • English Extension 1 can help you enhance your standard of performance (through your writing for instance) in English Advanced and possibly in your HSIE subjects.
  • It can act as a backup unit (including as your second best unit of English, halving the contribution of English Advanced to your ATAR). In the event that your overall performance in this subject ends up being unfavourable, the worst case scenario, assuming that you would be taking at least 11 units by the end of year 12, is that it would not count towards your ATAR and would therefore not affect it in any way.
The potential issue that I see is whether keeping English Extension 1 as a backup unit is justified, especially if you believe that you are capable of performing favourably in another 2-unit subject, which would not only be a better option in such a case, but would also make a more significant contribution to your ATAR since it has a higher unit value.

Alternatively, you could keep English Extension 1 until the end of year 11. This would allow you to experience the subject more thoroughly, while also capitalising on the possibility of supporting your performance in English Advanced and/or your HSIE subjects. At the end of year 11, you will most likely have a much clearer perspective of this subject, allowing you to a more informed decision at that stage.

I hope this helps! 😄

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hello! I'm currently doing Maths Adv, English Ext 1, SOR2, Legal Studies, Biology and Modern. I'm trying to decide if I should drop the extension and just do advanced English. For context, originally I never wanted to do extension English, but my year 9 English teacher persuaded me to try and I don't plan on following through with an English-based subject in university. So I'm wondering if I should just drop it. I do enjoy English, hence taking advanced, but it's by far not my favourite subject and I don't feel very confident in it, considering my mid marks in the subject last year.

I can't speak to how hard the course is, I'm only 4 weeks in and there hasn't been much homework for any subject, so I don't know how I'll perform when the subject ramps up, and that's what I'm worried about. I think I'd rather just drop it, as I'm on 12 units without it, and just channel my energy into subjects I actually feel confident in.

So in my situation, would there be any reason not to drop it? I find the course interesting so far, macolobilalisn (no spell check) stuff and from the other forum posts I've read extension does greatly help with work in advance and seeing as half of my subjects are HISE-based, doing extension would probably help with them too, but is it worth it for the lost time?
I did english extension for prelim, and ended up dropping it in yr12. I think the subject is a lot of work around exam-time (memorising quotes from like 5 texts), and if it's not something you are passionate about I think it will be a bit of a struggle (it was for me). I was very glad to drop it. Ultimately it is up to you, but if you aren't super into english, I probably wouldn't recommend keeping it.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
why does everyone want to drop it omg, it seems so fun, especially looking at the content my friends are doing... if i could turn back time i would definitely do ex1

raspberriesandpears

HSC
i've got to be the english representative and say no!! don't drop it!!
(seriously do whatever works best for you but i am someone who does e1 and loves it. it is not all negative)

Sir Jigger II

HSC
I'm intending to do Math Ext, Eng Ext, Earth Sci, Eco, Business. I dont really enjoy ext eng but i have recieved good marks for English. I also chose it because I thought it would increase my chanced for getting into an international univerity e.g NUS, Harvard etc. I want to drop ext Eng and go down to Adv Eng and pick up legal. Would this decision be wise?

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I'm intending to do Math Ext, Eng Ext, Earth Sci, Eco, Business. I dont really enjoy ext eng but i have recieved good marks for English. I also chose it because I thought it would increase my chanced for getting into an international univerity e.g NUS, Harvard etc. I want to drop ext Eng and go down to Adv Eng and pick up legal. Would this decision be wise?
legal is so much work with a lot of memorising and writing

sabito

HSC
I think dropping it is wise, some would argue that 12 units is already too much let alone 13 (with ext1 english)

You are also right about the difficulty of the subject, my english ext 1 test at school contains of one imagative, reflection + essay with three texts (all in bloody 2 hours)

I just think the subject is very easy to bomb especially in the hsc especially when you are not too confident at it

You could also focus more on english advanced + other subjects, same effort, with better returns

Maybe complete the prelim test first tho

Work load is also crazy with only one extra unit which might not even count towards your hsc

I am dropping ex1 btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)