Share trading. (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
What do you guys use to trade shares.

I am looking at the ANZ etrade one but I am wandering about other methods.

Also how much do you guys earn through this ( appreciation of shares + dividends )

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm on Bell Direct but am not a huge fan of it. I find the interface a bit clunky for my liking. I'm also not a fan of depositing funds into a trust account which does not appear to be covered by an ADI licence (and hence govt. guarantee over deposits). Previously I used Commsec and actually made quite a bit more as a result of their T+3 settlement- i.e. I could buy/sell shares and keep all my funds in high interest accounts; and rarely ever need to draw on it since I would close positions quickly within a day or two.

Currently planning to open an HSBC Premier account and use Etrade since I've heard good things and it will let me get back to my old style of trading.

I've made decent returns over the years. Don't really care about dividends since I rarely hold shares long enough to get dividends nor do I enjoy going through the cum/ex dividend price movements.

Garygaz

HSC
i trade through the broker i work at. it's a phone discount broker, so the rates aren't as good as say online trading through commsec, but they aren't bad by any means.

i keep my money in a money-market account at bankwest which i get about 5% interest on and all trades settle on t+3 through this account (options same day).

i have a few stocks which i hold, like mms and tls (well, i sold them yesterday, but i held them for about 6 months) and a couple of specs on some smaller stocks as well. i also subscribe to a share valuation/report service.

i also like to trade options, mostly buying calls when i think stocks that i already believe are undervalued become oversold in a 10 day period. so with some help from the service i subscribe to as well as some of my own calculations, i find the 5 most undervalued stocks, and wait for some of my indicators to show they are likely to bounce. it has a really good success rate, though as with most tech analysis you are vulnerable to everything you can't measure in your parameters (considering some days it feels like the market is trading off the news ticker).

TylerGold

HSC
N/A
I am on bell direct. looking to change to etrade (as i am an anz customer -it would just be easier) but i don tthink i will as there are account maintenance fees if you dont trade often.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I saw anz e trade but you have to be 18 :( is there around this?

You said undervalued stock, I assume that means in the future it is expect to rise alot? Same with oversold stock?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Commsec is the biggest on-line trading platform I think. Be very careful before jumping in. I've been trading shares for decades and still haven't got it right[I think Garygaz has a more professional approach]. Best to observe the market first - over a very long time. Of course if you jump in blindly you may just be lucky 1st couple of times (and you may delude yourself into thinking you are good at it) - but equally you may lose your hard-saved limited initial capital. Also learn from more experienced players like Garygaz.

Powlmao: maybe you ought to concentrate on your HSC first.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm looking to trade my lvl 52 pikachu.
It has adamant nature and good IVs and EVs.

Hit me up.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I saw anz e trade but you have to be 18 :( is there around this?
Parents. Also will hit their income tax/CGT though.l

You said undervalued stock, I assume that means in the future it is expect to rise alot? Same with oversold stock?
Yes but that's only for value investors who plan to hold for a decent period of time. I personally find it more enjoyable and safer to play day trade to limit maximum gain/loss (and lock them in) and reduce need for settlement. Only challenge is record keeping can be a pain with Computershare/LMS whereby even if you can enter your details electronically, they still try to send you crap in the mail.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I dont think my parents would like it under their name due to the fact that they pay nearly 100K in tax a year , plus my dad (who is fairly smart in this kind of stuff) reackons i should wait till near year when i turn 18 observing the market until i can legally have it under my name.

Probably what i will do.

Anyone has E trade? looks really good, especially since i am with anz, but i am also with commonwealth too

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I can only speak from Commsec but I really liked the interface both on the computer and on my iPhone. Unfortunately brokerage was getting a bit exxy (close to $100 a trade each way due to my trade size and lack of CDIA account) so I switched to Bell which was much cheaper but much less confidence inspiring. I'll wait until I'm back in Sydney and then will see.

jamesruserox

small member
HSC
I dont think my parents would like it under their name due to the fact that they pay nearly 100K in tax a year , plus my dad (who is fairly smart in this kind of stuff) reackons i should wait till near year when i turn 18 observing the market until i can legally have it under my name.

Probably what i will do.

Anyone has E trade? looks really good, especially since i am with anz, but i am also with commonwealth too
whut

100k in tax?
how much is he earning?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I use Commsec, only get charged $20 per trade(mind you when I first signed up was getting my trades for free on a deal which worked out well with shares I was making marginal income off.) It's actually really well laid out and moving money around accounts is quite easy. Mind you, trading shares is all about timing, I lost almost half of my initial investment due to the company being late on an announcement(which was the one I was waiting on) and spending two days tanking 20%. Was finally going back up so was trying to liquidate them the other week and they didn't peak where I was expecting and have tanked again. Not as much but still.

But it depends on what you want to do, I play around in high risk stuff so I either make a bit or I lose a bit you just need to know what you're doing with it. And don't be disheartened when your share investments dip.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
He earns alot.

How much where you making in your marignial income?

I have to look at commsec

jamesruserox

small member
HSC
hehe trading

if I ever trade, i'll be picking the companies with either the weirdest names, something no one has ever heard of, or the coolest looking graphs.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
hehe trading

if I ever trade, i'll be picking the companies with either the weirdest names, something no one has ever heard of, or the coolest looking graphs.

Very interesting. Must give your unorthodox method a go.

Last edited:

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
hehe trading

Let me know how quickly you lose your money!

(I did that for the Share Market Game at school)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)