Selective schools (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
This forum is full of people asking for tips on selective interviews lol. For people who got in, how was your reports and extracurriculars cuz I'm probably gonna apply next yr for yr 10 if I don't make selective this yr (likely).
This would mean A LOT thanks so much!

c8

HSC
I can't remember exactly but my report was a mix of A's B's and C's (i may have gotten a D for math in the oldest report I gave but to be honest idr)
My extracurriculars: lots of volunteering (council events, hospital, festivals), leadership within school, couple of sports, and like your regular extracurriculars like public speaking and debating. Although, for the top selective schools im pretty sure they only cared about my test results

Mach_1

HSC
I honestly didn't have many extra curricular involvements. Only had representative swimming, tennis, and martial arts outside of school.

Zero involvement with any leadership stuff, no duke of ed, no public speaking, no volunteering, no music, no school clubs.

As for my report: maths, English, science and commerce were 90+ I think, and the rest were hovering around 80.

Honestly it could swing both ways. You don't need the best marks if you have god tier extra curricular involvements, nor do you need any extra curricular if you have pretty solid academics.

The best thing you can do is focus on the exam and prepare for the interview. If you don't make it in this round, try a little harder with marks, especially maths and English, and pick up a couple extra curricular things. Also, teachers' comments on your report may play a considerable part, so account for that too.

Feel free to DM me if anyone reading this wants to chat more about it. (Moved from normanhurst to ruse in yr 11 for reference)

beetree1

HSC
I got all A's (our school doesnt give numbers til senior years) and when i went for my interview, they had already printed my letter of acceptance so i guess the interview wasnt a very significant factor for me ah

I did one term of netball in year 7 and nothing else Looolllll i didnt end up going tho

wzsmartypants

HSC
I can't remember exactly but my report was a mix of A's B's and C's (i may have gotten a D for math in the oldest report I gave but to be honest idr)
My extracurriculars: lots of volunteering (council events, hospital, festivals), leadership within school, couple of sports, and like your regular extracurriculars like public speaking and debating. Although, for the top selective schools im pretty sure they only cared about my test results
wow which school did you make? Can you please give some examples of volunteering that I can do during holidays which do not require tons of time? thx

wzsmartypants

HSC
I got all A's (our school doesnt give numbers til senior years) and when i went for my interview, they had already printed my letter of acceptance so i guess the interview wasnt a very significant factor for me ah

I did one term of netball in year 7 and nothing else Looolllll i didnt end up going tho
Wow, may I ask why you didn't end up going? what school?

c8

HSC
wow which school did you make? Can you please give some examples of volunteering that I can do during holidays which do not require tons of time? thx
To be honest mine were mostly in the community and would probably be non-existent with covid rn. If you can, I know some covid clinics take volunteers but I don't know what the criteria is and it's pretty unsafe stuff lol

beetree1

HSC
Wow, may I ask why you didn't end up going? what school?
I made it into Baulkham hills (its in my info, i know i lied to everyone but i just put it when i signed up) but i live in the south area so it was too far for me to go too everyday, so i didnt end up going.

wzsmartypants

HSC
I made it into Baulkham hills (its in my info, i know i lied to everyone but i just put it when i signed up) but i live in the south area so it was too far for me to go too everyday, so i didnt end up going.
wow! people this talented like you can also perform very well outside of selective school XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)