Section II - Short Answer (1 Viewer)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Re: Business Studies Section II: Short Answer

Just as a general remark: did anyone find the short answers as a whole rather unorthodox?

Like when I got in there and started reading them, the thought that hit me first was 'Oh. This is all the stuff that I didn't expect to be in the exam'. The content in SA was gulfs apart from the sorts of questions we'd been asked in the trials and it threw me off balance for a while.

Furthermore, sometimes I got the feeling that you could hit different syllabus dot pts for some questions. For the very last SA question on the enviro-bags or whatever, Michaelmoo wrote about customer-oriented marketing but I talked about psychological influences on consumer choice - regardless of which one was (more) correct, it seemed that in some cases it was difficult to make a link between the question and the syllabus.

On a final note, after the exam I went home and looked through my classroom notes and my textbook regarding the features of an employment contract. Couldn't find any reference to them =/ which explains my making it up in the room.

But meh. Two-fingered salute to Board of Studies and move on I guess.
+1
And I do not recall actually being taught about the advantages and disadvantages so that was an epic fluke

This exam pissed me off....alot of the stuff was pretty irrelevant
I hope so much that everyone did crap so it gets scaled up.. but its pretty unlikely

toby12

HSC

the SA section was just weird i thought. not the conventional type of questions, just really general and all of the place..

what did everyone put for the advantages and disadvantages of a casual employee?

bmn

HSC

what did everyone put for the advantages and disadvantages of a casual employee?
It was advantages and disadvantages of having a casual employee to the business I think.

I put:
Advantages: Don't have to pay entitlements, more flexible
Disadvantages: Higher wages, takes time to adapt to business culture (couldn't think of a second one...)

jmuller92

HSC

I think i put:

ADV: Dont have to pay leave entitlements, not obliged to provide work if demand for products falls

Disadv: Have to pay a higher upfront award rate, and cant remember the other one

I honestly think the board of studies realised that everyone over the last few years had been learning the syllabus off by heart and raping the exams, so this time they took an abstract approach to trick us all.

I feel like i wasted alot of time studying topics like effective prof managagement and human res managagement thinking thered be more focus on that.

What can i say, board of studies are their own breed.....

murphyad

HSC

For the casual thing, I put something about higher staff turnover = greater retraining costs as my second disadvantage.

brades

HSC

there was a question about the possible conflicts of interests over the roster and how to resolve this. wat did everyone put for that?

murphyad

HSC

Conflict between management and employees. Tell them they have common ground. Business profitability is important to employees too, because otherwise they will lose their job, not just a few working hours. Therefore, common ground found, interests more similar and thus conflict reconciled.

Benskies

HSC

employment contract:
-conditions of employment eg. wages
-stipulates employee benefits eg. sick leave

im pretty sure employee/employer obligations arent in employment contracts, they are usually implicit.

for the environmental bag, i did the price discrimination thing and the "fits all shopping" is misleading cos like what if you buy a TV....

overall i think it went OK i hope!

superralex

Sheriosusly BHS09.
HSC

Does anyone remember the ASX question!? I think I mis-read it and thought it said if the business listed itself on the ASX to obtain finance.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad

Does anyone remember the ASX question!? I think I mis-read it and thought it said if the business listed itself on the ASX to obtain finance.
i think i was:

List ONE advantage and disadvantage of obtaining finance through the Australian Stock Exchange.

amber!

HSC

Just as a general remark: did anyone find the short answers as a whole rather unorthodox?

Like when I got in there and started reading them, the thought that hit me first was 'Oh. This is all the stuff that I didn't expect to be in the exam'. The content in SA was gulfs apart from the sorts of questions we'd been asked in the trials and it threw me off balance for a while.

Furthermore, sometimes I got the feeling that you could hit different syllabus dot pts for some questions. For the very last SA question on the enviro-bags or whatever, Michaelmoo wrote about customer-oriented marketing but I talked about psychological influences on consumer choice - regardless of which one was (more) correct, it seemed that in some cases it was difficult to make a link between the question and the syllabus.

On a final note, after the exam I went home and looked through my classroom notes and my textbook regarding the features of an employment contract. Couldn't find any reference to them =/ which explains my making it up in the room.

But meh. Two-fingered salute to Board of Studies and move on I guess.

yes yes i agree! for example, the question where there was a lot of information in a table, then it just said " define customer orientation?"
the questions where basically a luck thing, whether or not you paid specific attention to really small parts of the Syllabus where major key points werent present.

bayan92

HSC

yes yes i agree! for example, the question where there was a lot of information in a table, then it just said " define customer orientation?"
the questions where basically a luck thing, whether or not you paid specific attention to really small parts of the Syllabus where major key points werent present.
+ 1

The whole unorthodox thing came up when I was discussing the paper with my teacher after. The paper this year really focuses on little snippets which we may see as insignificant but have great impact on TODAY'S business climate.

Weird things:

• No accounting
  • Just one mention of theories
  • A minute amount on global
  • HEAVY emphasis on marketing and 'ethical and legal aspects'
It guess it really focused on the effects of external influences on the business rather than internal influences, eg. ASX, ethics, influences on ER, global marketing etc.

pinkispunk66

HSC

serioulsy whoever this businessking person is..
if you think you are soooooo amazingly good at business why don't you post something more than saying "omg im just so incredible and gonna come first in the state..."
why dont you actually help us outif you think you know so much?
isn't that the point of this site? just puttin it out there ay..

bench

HSC

serioulsy whoever this businessking person is..
if you think you are soooooo amazingly good at business why don't you post something more than saying "omg im just so incredible and gonna come first in the state..."
why dont you actually help us outif you think you know so much?
isn't that the point of this site? just puttin it out there ay..
It was pointed out earlier to me that BUSINESSKING is a troll... :chainsaw:

pinkispunk66

HSC

whats a troll?
haha im new to this site..

bench

HSC

whats a troll?
haha im new to this site..
Troll - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum distruption and argument. (from urban dictionary)

pinkispunk66

HSC

whats a troll haha
im new to this..

pinkispunk66

HSC

woops didnt mean to type that twice
so is he a real person or what?

Freshjiver

HSC

for the "features of an employment contract";

how about - statutes, awards, agreements, common law..?

they're all listed on the syllabus with "the employment contract".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)