Section II - Ancient Societies (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is for general discussion on the ancient society questions (sections 2 and 4).

How did you go? Were the questions fair?

How many pages did you write?

Last edited:

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Society was ok... sparta shorter questions was good, filled the little book pages thing, what was with asking the same 2001 question about name 2 kings?! We had that in our trial though, and it bugged me coz I knew none, so I think I got them for that...

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
sparta for me, was damn easy the king which i had to name 2, i knew it would be something similar to the past exams, and my ancient history teacher predicted that and which i agreed and found out what its gonna be, the rest was staight forward questions about geographical features,helots and spartan cultural life etc

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I did the long answer question for Sparta, namely the one on women. It was quite good, because I read a brilliant essay not long ago off the resources here that answered this question perfectly.

Edit: But yeah, it was a bit odd how there's some dotpoints that haven't been tested yet, and they're regurgitationg questions word-for-word.

HSC
yeah i did sparta short answer ones, really wanted to do the women essay and do rome as the short answer society but a few of the questions stumped me coz i didnt study enough on rome lol

HSC
i put the eurotas river flows through the laconia plain on which they live and then i said they were surrounded by mountains parnon to east, arcadian to north and taygetus to easy however u coulda also put anything such as plentiful suopplies of timber and stone, the prominence of shellfish used for dye, fish, etc anything really

HSC
what u got should do i think, vast plains should be enough to get u the mark and mountains will get other mark easy

positive

HSC
Haha what a model answer you got up there, anyways I hope I get the marks, lucky it was low mark or I would have being screwed...

It's funny tho because I seriously guessed!

Some reason reason Laconian Plains rung a bell in my head, and the mountains bit was a guess because I had nothing else!

Another lucky thing I pulled off, I was reading through my notes and came across "Leonidas" and I think hmm ... I only know one guy, so at 8:30am, I google spartan kings and got another one.

And whaddya know they asked for it!

Agis II (easiest to remember!) and Leonidas woohoo!!!

B.J

HSC
I put Eurybiades as one of my kings but i got no idea if he was one, someone tell me if im wrong here

but other than that it seemed pretty straightforward

HSC
For kings i got that question in my trial and i only knew one so i put leonidas and then put agamenmon coz i'd just watched the movie Troy a few weeks ago and couldnt think of anything else. I got the full marks too which was pretty funny although i still think i shouldnt have, i know agamenmons brother was king of sparta but i dont think agamenmon ever was. Anyways lets just say i had that question prepared 4 the test. Mum drilled it into me about 1000 times:
"Now whats two kings from Sparta" every bloody day lol

HSC
Hmm not sure bout Eurybiades? He was the commander during the fight with Persia right? know he was a commander but dunno if he was ever a king

rockon

no use for a name
HSC
i did Ramesside Egypt- New Kingdom... it was fairly easy questions.. this is always the easiest section though....

B.J

HSC
crippled_kungfu said:
Hmm not sure bout Eurybiades? He was the commander during the fight with Persia right? know he was a commander but dunno if he was ever a king
yeah exactly i dunno if he was actually king. Oh well get a mark for Leonidas

What were peoples points for cultural life??... i said dancing, music and religion but arts were illegal

**blu_rose**

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I did the long answer question for Sparta, namely the one on women. It was quite good, because I read a brilliant essay not long ago off the resources here that answered this question perfectly.

Edit: But yeah, it was a bit odd how there's some dotpoints that haven't been tested yet, and they're regurgitationg questions word-for-word.

yeah i did that one too, i was actually anticipating something on women cuz it hadn't been asked before
what did u talk abt cuz i felt so bad when i went blank all of a sudden
i covered stuff on the agoge, women as mothers and how they inherited wealth, stuff on how they were too liberated, bride and capture thing umm i dont rememeber what else

HSC
for cultural i put stuff like dancing and music and poetry , also bits on religionand how they used omens and consulted delphi oracle ect also put religious festivals. Um didnt know if leisure applied to it or not, think it should so put a bit there on leisure cant think what else i wrote

sleeb

HSC
Anyone do athens long essay on the layout of the city??? what did you write about?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
**blu_rose** said:
yeah i did that one too, i was actually anticipating something on women cuz it hadn't been asked before
what did u talk abt cuz i felt so bad when i went blank all of a sudden
i covered stuff on the agoge, women as mothers and how they inherited wealth, stuff on how they were too liberated, bride and capture thing umm i dont rememeber what else
I broke it into paragraphs on:
- Role as mothers
- Education of women
- Social privileges and how the Greek Writers thought of Spartan Women
- Role as heiresses and estate managers
- Participating in religion, festivals and leisure activities
And I also mentioned perioikoic/helot women and the marriage rituals briefly.

Did anyone do the short answer q's on Minoa?

Kirika

HSC
yeah i did sparta on women... had an advantage coz it was our trial q... wrote same as u plus the wife sharing, religous role, the sayings of spartan women etc. basically that they supported the social sturture by teaching the children to believe in it.

oct3

How many pages did everyone write for the spartan women essay?

I wrote 13 but is that pretty average or what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)