Section II - Ancient Societies (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What society did you do? How did you find the questions?

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad
I did the Persian society (all my three sections are Persia). The first three questions were relatively easy, and I didn't have much trouble with the last one with 'Source O' although a lot of people considered it hard and tricky.

M

MichelleV

Sparta was really good.
It was strange have a 2,3,5 and 15 marker though. I was expecting to see an 8 marker in there.
None the less, good, simple questions :D

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
The 15 mark question was so annoying, pretty much required you to grab info from every aspect of the society into one question.

Kelsey2

HSC
What did you guys write for Sparta D) the 15 mark

I bsed 3-4 pages on leisure for the different aspects of spartan society for helots/ peri/ spartan man / spartan women / spartan children and i explained the myth of Lykourgous

Mark me out of 15

i provided historians to source my work

What else was i meant to put there? i am not feeiling confident.

MitJab

Premium Member
HSC
i choked on the 15 marker
only talked about Lycurgan constituion
reforms
Great Rhetra
Compare how it changed the society, so they were lazy and stuff before
and how it contributed to equility in society - so kleros, iron bar currency,
then wrote like how ancient and modern historians believe there was inequality and corruption in governement, underming Lycurgan laws
and of course how Xenephon was bias and all that :)
overall wrote around 2 pages, hopefully get at least a 9-10

suling

HSC
reforms
Great Rhetra
then wrote like how ancient and modern historians believe there was inequality and corruption in governement, underming Lycurgan laws

What was the 15-mark question? It seems weird they had a 15-marker...

maryjill

HSC
That was so odd! I was like... something looks different?! hmm haha and I'm used to writing so much more for the second last question, so I felt like I didn't do enough...
but yeah, board of studies are weird! I think they'll mark that section a little easier, considering how confused it made everyone...

Fake-Name

HSC
Who did Minoa?

Anyone get thrown off by the last one? It asked for daily life, yet had a picture of the bull leaping. I felt like I was talking too much about religion.

Fake-Name

HSC
Who did Minoa?

Anyone get thrown off by the last one? It asked for daily life, yet had a picture of the bull leaping. I felt like I was talking too much about religion.

HSC
I did fucking Persia Darius + Xerxes. The first 3 questions were easy, but the 15 marker was bull shit.

lockedbox

HSC
The 15 marker part really threw me off. I don't think I wrote enough for it, maybe 3-4 pages. I had a lot to talk about though so I think I did alright.

jessxxxr

HSC
i did Minoans, i wasn't a big fan of the shorter questions, but i really liked the 15 marker, it was so easy, and with the bull leaping fresco i just talked about like leisure activities, like bull leaping was apparently popular and then i expanded on how you learn about leisure activities from other frescoes, and what women looked like and i talked about how important industries were in everyday life and also about houses, hopefully i do good!!

M

MichelleV

reforms
Great Rhetra
That's rather different to me :O
I talked about how things like hunting and 'homoi' was extremely important to their military ethos and stuff :/
And Lycurgus too :p

Galladrim

HSC
The 15 marker surprised me, but it was so broad that answering the Sparta question was really simple.

The other three were simple outline, describe questions

Using Source something (it was about lending dogs for the purpose of hunting) and other sources, what does the evidence tell us about peoples lives during this period?

Talked about daily life, purposes in society (Spartans, Perioci, Helots), position of women, practice in religion, the agoge etc...

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I was really happy with Sparta! The questions were dot point specific, except the last one. The 15 marker was very general and open to incorporate a variety of aspects. I talked about everyday life and linked it to other parts of the syllabus. Also I discussed perioecki and helots, which was important to the question.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
"With reference to Source R and other sources, what does the evidence reveal about people's lives in this period?" (15 marks)

Source R: "He [Lycurgus] even authorised them [the Spartiates] to use other people's household servants if anybody needed them. He also authorised hunting dogs to be shared, so that men who need some, ask to take them on their hunt, and the owner is pleased to send them if he is not at leisure himself" ~ Xenophon, Constitution of the Spartans

ReneeApple

HSC
With Reference to Source R and other sources, what does the evidence reveal about people's lives in this period?

"He [Lycurgus] even authorised [the Spartans] to use other people's household servants if anybody needed them. He also authorised hunting dogs to be shared, so that men who need some, ask to take them on their hunt, and the owner is pleased to send them if he is not at leisure himself"

Source R: Xenophon, Constitution of the Spartans 6

acemusic415

HSC
Who did Minoa?

Yeah I thought that as well, though the question did not necessarily correlate to only daily life as it stated "what does the evidence reveal about people's lives in Minoan society". As such, you could of referred to anything that was partially implied in the Bull Leaping Fresco (as part of the source). So, I talked about daily life and religion and how the Bull Leaping Fresco shows athleticism and sports, suggestive of a healthy lifestyle - so I delved into food etc. The two women in the source were wearing clothes and jewellery so I linked to this to dotpoint clothing and jewellery etc - which were part of the daily and cultural life dotpoint. Also, because the source itself was a fresco, I talked about Minoan art within "people's lives" in Minoan society. (Maybe it was bit of stretch, but it seemed right and I justified it)

My friend also had the same problem, he felt as if the evidence in the source was leading you to discuss about religion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)