Section I - Personalities (1 Viewer)

Kd14

HSC
The first question for Alexander was tricky for me.. and so was the second one..

Could you say that Macedonians were non-Greeks? o_O

suhini

HSC
i love ancient. it is the only subject i can do well in. agrippina was great! i just wish i had as much motivation to study for other subjects as i do for ancient. lol!

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Anyone do Akhenaten?

It was odd how they went back to the 2001 Mark Distribution (5/8/12) after the 3 years of 5/10/10.

I didn't think there was enough to talk about for Akhenaten part (c) for 12 marks, so I talked about Amenhotep III's Sed Festival influencing him, and how Horemheb used him as a scapegoat to become more powerful... lol, I basically said that Akhenaten was the greatest pharaoh ever, and Horemheb was a liar who portrayed him as bad for his own gain.

I think we were hard done by for those questions. part (b) was too ambiguous in my opinion, and part (c), for me, seemed to have come out of left field. I know they're meant to surprise us a bit, but isn't it supposed to test us on how well we know what we're meant to know, not how well we can bullshit what they think we're meant to know?

(make sense? I think not.)

HSC
krazy_katie777 said:
i think im the only person in the forum who did Xerxes... hehehe!
he was pretty good..
one here
in hind sight the xerxes questions were not bad
would have been good if i studied instead of reading a novel
actually i thought they were shit questions
why couldnt they have given us one on revolts or the campaign for greece
fuck! now im in a foul mood

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah i did Xerxes too.
I found the questions quite reasonable,

The first question on his personal background was certainly quite simple, i just reguritated my notes for that dot point. Wrote 2 pages

The building programs question pertained much to Perepolis which i knew quite a bit about so i was able to write 4 pages on that

The impact on greek and perisan wars also straight foward. I benefited from having done "The greek world from 500-440BC" as my historical period. Part of that topic is the impact that the Persian wars had on the greek world, so i got lucky there

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
earlier i did an assessment of which i got 6/15 in....

then in the trials i used the same information and used the information in the same way and got 20/25...it says a lot for marking :rolleyes:

i thought the different portrayels and interpretations of agrippina. therefore in certain issues of relationships with men, achievements, ambitions..etc with reference to historians and other evidence for support.

JadieWadie

HSC
Kirika said:
what the hell was up with (C) on agrippina??? a and b were easy, they ask them every year, but i'images'?? i wrote a heap a crap about the different veiws f ancient and modern sources and included a couple of events but there is no way i got near 12... does anyone know that they answered it well and can tell me what the q meant??

Yeah it scared me a lil' at first, but my teacher had already taken us thru an essay plan on this question. You sound like you did all the right stuff, i just talked about the historians, their bias', and archaeological evidence such as the reliefs from Aphrodisias and the coins depicting her changing power under Nero. I'm sure you did fine!

meh05

Xerxes = personality. i dont see why people study him. he did bloody bugger all. Cyrus freed the persians from mede control, Cambyses started organising admin and added heaps of territories, darius org admin and economy added territory had marathon persopolis and started second plans for greek invasion and bloody xerxes had nothing. all he did was add two poxy provinces, continue persepolis, maintain order and the persian wars. what a waste of time and energy. questions sucked... think i went shithouse. realised something today: STUDY PAYS OFF! too bad it was my last exam :D

some girl

HSC
Bleh... I did Hatshepsut. I'm so pissed at myself for not reading over my Senemut notes because I predicted that it was going to be in the exam but I didn't study for it... urgh I'm totally disappointed at myself T.T

HSC_student

HSC
I did Ramesses The Great as my personality and the questions were perfect. The kind of questions that you dream about. PERFECT!!!!

hyper_crazy

HSC
here's one of the minority who did Xerxes!!
I thought the questions were pretty simple... very straightforward.
The building programs one we had in the trials and the personal background i just regurgitated my notes on the subject. The impact question was also not difficult... i just don't know if i used enough sources..
oh well i'm just ecstatic that ancient is over! it was my worst and most hated subject.
*celebrates*

mustarrd

HSC
Rafy said:
Yeah i did Xerxes too.

The impact on greek and perisan wars also straight foward. I benefited from having done "The greek world from 500-440BC" as my historical period. Part of that topic is the impact that the Persian wars had on the greek world, so i got lucky there
finally some xerxes kids! i thought katie n i were the only ones! i too was quite pleased with them, and did 500-440 period as well, definatly helped! now i think about it, i dont think i coulda done the last Q withoughout that! heehee! yay!

oct3

I also found the mark distribution quite unexpected and a bit wierd!

I did Akhenaten and thought that the questions were quite reasonable. I think I cited the wrong historian for basically all of my quotes though...

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
oct3 said:
I also found the mark distribution quite unexpected and a bit wierd!

I did Akhenaten and thought that the questions were quite reasonable. I think I cited the wrong historian for basically all of my quotes though...
When I couldn't remember who said something, I just alternated between Joyce Tyldsley and Pamela Bradley lol

Master Gopher

HSC
I was fine with JC, I didn't use 'veni vidi vici', but I had to do a speech on the Gallic Wars, so I was all set for the 'as a general' question! It bugged me that they changed the format *again*... I was so used to writing ten-markers so I just filled it with as much as possible in the time and hoped it was a 12...
Senate I found no too bad, but a little unexpected. I just backed it up with Fall of the Republic stuff.

hyper_crazy

HSC
study buddy said:
When I couldn't remember who said something, I just alternated between Joyce Tyldsley and Pamela Bradley lol
we got told you weren't allowed to quote Bradley as she wasn't a proper historian.. more a textbook writer... oh well

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
But bradley still has a view/opinion?

What constitutes a "proper historian" and why wouldnt blradley's interpretation of history be any less valid?

Last edited:

Emily Anne

Did anyone do Pericles?!?... I did and thought it was soooooo good. I 2 perdicted the questions and got it right so it was great 4 me. Must be one of the few that did this question. Shame...

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
But bradley still has a view/opinion?

What constitutes a "proper historian" and why wouldnt blradley's interpretation of history be any less valid?
Thankyou.

You get kisses from rhappa da rapper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)