Section I - Multiple Choice and short answers (1 Viewer)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
kt1 said:
I think that the answer to question eight is (c) to strengthen christian unity in Australia because WW1 was about fighting the germans who were largely not christian...meaning that many christians in Australia supported conscription to strengthen christian unity through fighting the lutherans!
Oh the lulz...

There was sectarianism among Protestants directed at Australian Lutherans as a result of fighting Germany. This is because many Germans were Lutheran. BOTH are CHRISTIAN.

HSC
I am pretty sure the answer was 'to strengthen ties with Britain'
as was pointed out by others earlier in this thread, there were particular religious leaders against conscription such as Mannix,
the fact that supporting a war because our soldiers were mostly Christian was extremely contradictory
and then the notion that many denominations supported it to strengthen unity amongst themselves was also a tad bit wierd.

At that time Christian authoritative judgement was still coming from head ministers and what not in Britain, and the loyalty to our 'Mother Country' was still an inherent perception...

hmmm..I hope I'm right..

jesster88

HSC
mr_brightside said:
8. Which of the following best explains why many Christians in Australia supported conscription during World War I?

a) To strengthen links with Britain
b) The majority of soldiers were Christians
c) To strengthen Christian unity in Australia
d) All relgious leaders supported conscription

okay..

a) I doubt strengthening links with Britain would make Christians support conscription.
b) If they majority of the soldiers were Christians, surely Christians would be against it? Who would want to send their fathers/brothers/husband/sig other away to war?
c) Supporting conscription brings Christian unity? so do church fetes...
d) If the CHURCH says its good...we shall support it too..

that was my reasoning

The answer is [A] - to strenthen ties with Brittain, remembering that during this time the majority of christians were english protestants. The irish catholics were against conscription but they were a minority at that time.

myrna

HSC
mr_brightside said:
8. Which of the following best explains why many Christians in Australia supported conscription during World War I?

a) To strengthen links with Britain
b) The majority of soldiers were Christians
c) To strengthen Christian unity in Australia
d) All relgious leaders supported conscription

okay..

a) I doubt strengthening links with Britain would make Christians support conscription.
b) If they majority of the soldiers were Christians, surely Christians would be against it? Who would want to send their fathers/brothers/husband/sig other away to war?
c) Supporting conscription brings Christian unity? so do church fetes...
d) If the CHURCH says its good...we shall support it too..

that was my reasoning
alot of catholics infact didnt support conscription in wwi due to arch bishiop mannix... yr 9/10 hsie history and yr 12 sor
it was a primarly anglican movement. hence i went wif a

HSC
N/A
im am very very positive for 8 it is (a), i ve asked two of my studies of religion teachers, some of the boredofstudies notes, as well as texts books .. although not mention very strongly it did say that they did it to support britain ... 6 was a bit wierd, but im pretty sure its D, but i jus have to see how i do ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)