Section I - Core (Pompeii and Herculaneum) (1 Viewer)

ozyozyozy

HSC
+1

yay thats what i did :)

they would never expect the whole answer on the sources, they would want you to show other knowledge. :)

Yep I totally agree! It asked us reference to other industries iin Pomp & Herc. Yes you would probably say a big paragraph of fishing and and fulleries, but you should also make note of other industries, as to show an extensive knowledge of the other industries in P&H. I dunno that's what I think...I'll ask my teacher.. :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To me, as a teacher of Ancient History, I think the question is a bit ambiguous.

You could stick to fishing and the fullonica but extend the knowledge about those industries and bring in other sources to support that argument or could us other sources to discuss other industries as well.

The question says 'other sources' not 'other industries' but it doesn't preclude other industries nor does it insist on other industries. Unfortunately I don't mark Ancient so will have to wait until the notes from the marking centre come out for me to know.

Last edited:

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i talked about fishing being the main food source (shown in the remains of the pompeii bodies having low zinc levels)... but in the end i didnt know enough about fullers... i talked about the building of euchmachia but that's it.

in the end i started talking about bakeries... that's an industry :)

i loved the question about toursim and management of the site, i had done heaps of readings on early excavations and how they would rebury bodies in pompeii to excavate them infront of royal tourists... and name that excavation after the person.

Allisonius

HSC
To me, as a teacher of Ancient History, I think the question is a bit ambiguous.

You could stick to fishing and the fullonica but extend the knowledge about those industries and bring in other sources to support that argument or could us other sources to discuss other industries as well.

The question says 'other sources' not 'other industries' but it doesn't preclude other industries nor does it insist on other industries. Unfortunately I don't mark Ancient so will have to wait until the notes from the marking centre come out for me to know.
For me it was the fact that it asked about what the sources reveal about "industry in Pompeii" rather than "these industries in Pompeii" that made it seem to be asking more about the nature of industry as a whole.
Like, industry in Pompeii was mostly based around foods and services related things, and industry was privatised (individual people owned them rather than the government).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For me it was the fact that it asked about what the sources reveal about "industry in Pompeii" rather than "these industries in Pompeii" that made it seem to be asking more about the nature of industry as a whole.
Like, industry in Pompeii was mostly based around foods and services related things, and industry was privatised (individual people owned them rather than the government).

I am not disagreeing with you - I think the question could be interpreted either way - either just the two in the sources or other industries.

It will be interesting to see what the markers finally accept (and knowing that the markers are usually accepting as wide as possible and that the ancient markers always accuse us modern markers of being too hard I would expect both types of answers to be accepted - but... I could be wrong of course).

NoName91

HSC
i talked about fishing being the main food source (shown in the remains of the pompeii bodies having low zinc levels)... but in the end i didnt know enough about fullers... i talked about the building of euchmachia but that's it.

in the end i started talking about bakeries... that's an industry :)

i loved the question about toursim and management of the site, i had done heaps of readings on early excavations and how they would rebury bodies in pompeii to excavate them infront of royal tourists... and name that excavation after the person.
+1

Yeah I wrote about how the context of the excavators influenced their decisions. I.e. Maiuri was influenced by the Mussolini regime to unearth treasures that showcased the glory of Italy's past, hence an impact of tourism affecting the management of the site...

SucRii

Banned
HSC
+1

Yeah I wrote about how the context of the excavators influenced their decisions. I.e. Maiuri was influenced by the Mussolini regime to unearth treasures that showcased the glory of Italy's past, hence an impact of tourism affecting the management of the site...

Shoosh noo! I didnt put that :bomb:

SucRii

Banned
HSC
i wouldnt worry about that... what did you put??
hehe...well im not expecting anything better than 4/10 seeing as though i left it for the last 5 minutes and very BRIEFLY mentioned the impact of tourism blah blah and i think one organisation that has contributed to its management (Pompeii Trust?).

Im guessing thats not gonna get me much. Oh well.

Actually make that 2/10

palofreedom

HSC
N/A
Pretty straightforward. Was question 1 like the Atrium and Impluvium or something?
wow dats weird i do maths eng legal business ancient and hoping to get in at uws for law/commerce hoping 4 90+ and i wrote the impluvium and atrium for da first question

except ima chick lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)