Section 3 - Extended Response (1 Viewer)

vinniegoro

HSC
i done tomorrow when the war began. perfect for the irony of hell and the invaders not belonging. was so happy with the theme of place. hope i went ok

SayWut

HSC
Will the BoS will be aligning differently for different set texts?

I've been told by everyone doing Romulus and TSG that it was a breeze. Would the BoS then expect a higher quality of response from these students, as opposed to say, students doing The Crucible or Dickinson?

Last edited:

Psychoanalytic

HSC
I did Skrzynecki. I prepared 3 poems; 'Feliks Skrzynecki', '10 Mary Street' and 'Ancestors', but because I had extra time, I wrote about 'St. Patrick's College' as well
I used two related materials.

At first, I wasn't sure how I would link 'Ancestors', but I linked it to the undeniable connection he has with Poland and his heritage... blah blah blah.

WaterIsLiquid

HSC
Didn't use Feliks skrzynecki as i mainly memorised shit on his admiration of father then disconnection through maturity. CBF putting shit about his connection to garden. So i just used st pats and post card. then one additional ... I was trapped with only 2 poems and one additional. hope i don't get marked down toooo hard
For feliks skrynecki couldn't you talk about the assimilation from poland to australian culture. e.g the metaphorical reference to hadrian's wall :/

Mistriousfrog

HSC
For feliks skrynecki couldn't you talk about the assimilation from poland to australian culture. e.g the metaphorical reference to hadrian's wall :/
mate, so long as it is relevant and justified you can use absolutely anything. In fact if you use more obscure things that people generally won't think about you are usually placed in higher bands for being 'particularly insightful.'
My essay was alright though I think it lacked anything particularly creative. I tried to argue that the people were part of what makes a place important so I had more to talk about so here's hoping I can get away with it.

HSC
Uni Grad
The Crucible, probably the worst possible text you could use for this. I ended up talking about how the puritans were no longer part of england, but still held connections e.g same judicial system, and my related text was Animal Farm (HORRIBLE choice for that question, best one I had). I ended up talking about how the animals did not want to return to the "place" they were at before (a tyrranous regime spearheaded by humans), in a metaphorical sense, not a literal sense of place. Marks shall be interesting. Haha

And what's this about scaling depending on what text you used?
no i thought it was great

my thesis was pretty much "it is through the conflict of an individual's connection to place and society against that individual's personal conscience that ultimately determines their experience of belonging"

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
no i thought it was great

my thesis was pretty much "it is through the conflict of an individual's connection to place and society against that individual's personal conscience that ultimately determines their experience of belonging"
Fuck... Everyone in my school said the same thing. I think I'm the only one of us that fucked it up. :/

lucyc19

HSC
Not fair on people doing texts without that as a strong element of the representation of belonging.
They should move away from dividing up their concepts, e.g. Journeys = physical/imaginative/etc. and belonging = place/family/culture.
It makes things stupidly unsophisticated and limits what you can write.
Thanks to them, my whole essay is about one language technique in Great Expectations.

insomniac_dog

HSC
Emily Dickinson's poetry was definitely NOT APPLICABLE to the question, she never talks about place, it's either society, nature or her own poetry... I adapted the meaning of place to not mean geography but to mean spiritually/mentally, as in her place in her community and within nature. I chose "I had been hungry all the years" and "The saddest noise, the sweetest noise". Anyone else do something similar?

Thankfully, my related text, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, worked very well with place and compensated for my sketchy remarks on Dickinson. Does anyone think two poems and one related text is too little? I felt I had depth to my arguments and had plenty of textual support... looking back, it just seems too slight.

The question was DEFINITELY geared for certain texts more than others... I find it hard to imagine how people who did Strictly Ballroom or even The Crucible related their response to place. Dickinson was definitely a pain and a few of my friends had related texts which also didn't relate to place at all. BAD QUESTION.

aheyhey

HSC
I talked about place and how it influenced identity ... Thought it would be okay. The mini-essay question in the unseen texts was about place and identity...
In any case I hoped I talked about it well enough.
Also talked about Feliks and Migrant (curses) -- the most used poems in all of the chronicles. The markers are gonna be bored out of their minds...oh well, they signed up for it. >=D No pity for BOS affiliates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)