scaling (1 Viewer)

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
blackfriday said:
60/120 will getcha 82-83/100, which in turn will scale to about 87-88/100 for uai calculation.
I didn't say Student X was me. I actually think I scored somewhere closer to 70, maybe high 60's.

Thanks though! :)

SmileyCam

HSC
xiaojia said:
how about the school rank?
well, that is put up against the ranks of your HSC, i.e. the mark for 1st in HSC = the mark for 1st in school, and same for last, and sometimes middle, and the rest of the class is arranged in the same ratios around the max, median, min

(my math teacher is much better at explaining this)

Last edited:

redd

HSC
N/A
desperate cat said:
i don't understand.
ppl say 80 raw marks would get u a 90+, but i check the Sam moderator, 80 raw mark can only get about 87 or 88...
you dont put your raw marks in , you put your final hsc mark in the sam moderator. the rite hand side is the scaled uai contribution

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the stuff in sam is just used by uac to calculate your uai to see what uni course you can get into. board of studies just gives you a final hsc mark without giving you an overall score.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Lazarus said:
That's how scaling for all extension courses is performed.

Ext 1 distribution of scaled marks = scaled marks gained by Ext 1 students on 2U paper

Ext 2 distribution of scaled marks = scaled marks gained by Ext 2 students on Ext 1 paper

The exception is English Extension 2, where the distribution of marks is shaped to be the distribution of marks gained by the Extension 2 candidature on the Advanced paper, rather than on the Extension 1 paper.
Hmm, I still don't get this. What is "distribution of scaled marks?" So if all the 4u people bomb out on Thursday, how does that affect the scaling? For both 3u and 4u.

DNOMYAR

Omg by checking my answer's to Terry Hills soln, i only scored a 58/120 :(
i jst want to get scaled to 80, will i get scaled to 80? PLZ BOS scale me to 80

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Dn0myat said:
Omg by checking my answer's to Terry Hills soln, i only scored a 58/120 :(
i jst want to get scaled to 80, will i get scaled to 80? PLZ BOS scale me to 80
you should get scaled to 80 and maybe 85 for uai

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Dumsum said:
Hmm, I still don't get this. What is "distribution of scaled marks?" So if all the 4u people bomb out on Thursday, how does that affect the scaling? For both 3u and 4u.
The words "distribution of scaled marks" refer to all the scaled marks awarded to the candidature (as distinct from a mark awarded to an individual student).

I hope this doesn't confuse you even more:

If 2U people bomb out on the 2U exam, 2U scaling will be lowered slightly (depending on how well those students do over all their courses).

If 3U people bomb out on the 2U exam, 3U scaling will be low and 2U scaling will probably be lowered slightly as well (as above).

If 3U people bomb out on the 3U exam, no scaling is affected.

If 4U people bomb out on the 3U exam, 4U scaling will be low.

If 4U people bomb out on the 4U exam, no scaling is affected. (The paper is only used to rank students in the 4U course; the actual scaled marks received depend on the performance of that group on the 3U paper.)

Kiev

HSC
N/A
Ok...so where does the fact we are given the marks of the person who achieves the external ranking of our internal ranking . eg. If you're ranked 27th in the course after the trials (based on all the assessments) you'll get the 27th best HSC mark from your school cohort? Does that even happen?

serge

HSC
Kiev said:
Ok...so where does the fact we are given the marks of the person who achieves the external ranking of our internal ranking . eg. If you're ranked 27th in the course after the trials (based on all the assessments) you'll get the 27th best HSC mark from your school cohort? Does that even happen?
that was the old system it's more complex now...

otherwise if you came first after the trials
aslong as you trust the 2nd person to do well,
you wouldnt even have to sit the exam to get
a good mark?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Kiev said:
Yes, it does, but not exactly as you described.

That's the 'moderating' phase (and it has been explained in detail in the technical forum).

Refer to this flowchart for an idea as to how it all fits together:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I'm quite sure now than the Band E4 cut-off for 2003 was between 40 and 47/120 and given that it was a fairly difficult paper, I'd be inclined to say that the 2005 cut-off will lie in the vicinity of 60-70/120...that's if BOS agrees with me in the belief that this year's paper was more difficult than last year's.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i agree with you that this year's was harder than last year's, but you have to be joking about 2003. if i remember, it was probably the same standard as this year's paper.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I'm quite sure now than the Band E4 cut-off for 2003 was between 40 and 47/120 and given that it was a fairly difficult paper, I'd be inclined to say that the 2005 cut-off will lie in the vicinity of 60-70/120...that's if BOS agrees with me in the belief that this year's paper was more difficult than last year's.
i don't think that the cut off for 03 was 47/120 for e4. maybe e3? because isnt the avg normally around 60ish, and 03 being hard paper, maybe avg will be 50ish/120?

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
If you look in one of the other threads (not sure which one now), I've explained mathematically why the cut-off would be between 40 and 47/120.

Essentially, Keypad came 1st in the state with a raw exam mark of 108 or 109/120 (according to him, most likely the former). His aligned exam mark was 99. Now, since the marks are linearly interpolated between band cut-offs, this data illustrates that the Band E4 cut-off must be <41/120 (if Keypad got 108) or <48/120 (if Keypad got 109).

I've said myself that it seems very low, but provided what Keypad has said is correct, I can't come to any other conclusion. And he is adamant that he didn't put pen to paper for 11 or 12 marks in the HSC exam.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
so you're telling me you only need one piece of data in order to determine all the band cut-offs. i know that you said that all the marks are linearly interpolated between the band cut-offs but wouldnt it be reasonable to question the accuracy of data based on just one piece of evidence? im not saying that you're off the pace, im just wondering what would happen if you had lets say three raw mark/aligned mark comparsions.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
blackfriday said:
so you're telling me you only need one piece of data in order to determine all the band cut-offs. i know that you said that all the marks are linearly interpolated between the band cut-offs but wouldnt it be reasonable to question the accuracy of data based on just one piece of evidence? im not saying that you're off the pace, im just wondering what would happen if you had lets say three raw mark/aligned mark comparsions.
I don't have enough data to determine all the band cut-offs. But in this case, all I need is one piece of data to calculate the E4 cut-off. Since there can only be one straight line drawn between two points* (these being the upper end-point of 100% and the other being Keypad's mark), then it's possible to extrapolate an estimate for the E4 cut-off.

If I had another piece of data to verify it, then that would be better. However, provided Keypad's estimate of his raw mark is accurate, there can be no other possibilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)