scaling for general maths (1 Viewer)

hjyigkyhok

HSC
Hey how does general maths scale, what mark do you need to get band 6??

sly_skittle

HSC
our teacher said that generally high 80's become band 6
because this exam was so tough could this drop further?

smely

HSC
I think u have to get over 85... but if the whole state goes shit they'll probably drop it a bit or scale us up like 2 marks.. lol... the scaling for this is crap.. but atleast there's a possibility of getting a band 6...

cesca6

HSC
wow, i never knew that your marks correspond with the scaling and therefore the mark that you get. I just thought that the bands corresponded with the mark for example 90-100 for band 6 etc.
So can someone clarify for me how it all works please. Thanks in advance

cesca6

HSC
wow, i never knew that your marks correspond with the scaling and therefore the mark that you get. I just thought that the bands corresponded with the mark for example 90-100 for band 6 etc.
So can someone clarify for me how it all works please. Thanks in advance

smely

HSC
i am pretty sure that it depends on what everyone gets... if everyone goes bad.. then they will lower the bands.. so say u have to get 90 to egt a band 6.. then everyone goes really crap... they will lower it to about 88 or 87... if everyone goes really well then they will scale us down and put the band six to like 92 or 93... i'm not 100% sure that, that is how it works... but that is what i ahve been told...

HSC
Yeah I was under the impression that its actaully theoretically possible for every1 to get band 6, if they all get 90+/100

Saying that, the band cut-offs change based on how well we go so if most of the candidates though this exam was really tough, and marks are low, band 6 might equal an 85.

2suave

HSC
alright well i was doing really well in general all year.. getting mid 90s in all the past papers... finishing early... and i thought 2006 was a hard 1... anyway... last year the raw mark for band 6 was 89... dont ask how i know... i just do... i talked to a reputable source after the exam that told me raw mark this year could be as low as 87 or 86 for a band 6...

ill shut up now... i sound like james bond or something lol... anyways yeah hope i helped

PC

HSC
N/A
I'm fairly sure that Band 6 will always be 90+.

They get around it by doing all sorts of "mapping" (which is different to scaling) from the raw marks. They decide what sorts of answers mark the boundaries between various bands according to the Performance Descriptors, and then "map" the results from each student onto the various bands. Does that make sense?

Your right, ElendilPeredhil ... theoretically, every student could get Band 6 if they all answer the questions according to the standard required, but with 30000 students doing this course, that ain't going to happen!

I'd be fairly sure that the Board will set it up in such a way as the same statistics occur ... about 2-4% of the candidature will get Band 6.

travalina

HSC
hey, according to the answers provided on here i should recieve a amrk of around 85-87/100 raw for the external exam, i was ranked 10th/60 odd in my school so wat do you think my mark could be? any help would be appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)