SC 2007 - Science (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
it was a divided bar graph... really defies the point of having a divided bar graph when u could simply use a bar graph... at least histogram u can see the fluctuation in scores.... i dont see how u could use a divided bar graph for eye color... and im pretty sure it said divided bar graph

militiaman

HSC
What about line graph? How can you represent eye colour with that.

And about the thermal decomposition.

1. Who knows that :p

2. (more seriously) I don't think there would have even been the spaces to put that. Plus they don't normally give multiple words.

Hopefully it wasn't just decomposition either...

SilkyBling

HSC
yea,, i really wt 2 see da answers! i hope it was combustion ....arrghh,,, i hate those short answer q's!!:mad1:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Like I said, I'm only providing information on the consensus around here :) I haven't seen the question, and will probabaly have to wait til the answers are released to see whether or not it was combustion or decomposition ;)

zzzz12345

HSC
For the combustion/decomposition question the answer in all probablity is more likely to be decomposition. In the reaction the reaction wasn't exothermic (releases energy) but endothermic (required energy to occur). Combustion reactions are usually (if not always) exothermic. For it to be a combustion reaction Oxygen Gas has to be one of the reactants as the very definition of a combustion reaction is something burning in oxygen. There was no oxygen as a reactant thus it could not possibly be combustion. Decomposition (just decomposition) is a workable solution because a more complicated compound broke down into two simpler compounds and that is the very definition of a decomposition reaction.
I said that a line graph wouldn't be suitable because I guess you could use a histogram to graph the number of people with blue, brown etc. eyes but a line graph is more progressional e.g. temperature of solution etc. With a divided bar graph you could use it as a proportional graph to show how many people have a certain colour of eyes; well that's what I thought anyway.
For the 'what is passed on' question, I said genes because as the syllabus lovingly states, genes are part of DNA. Chromosomes refer to the whole thing and I wasn't exactly sure that would be appropriate so I said genes.
For the life cycle I decided it would be self explanatory that half the toadlets would be female but maybe not self-explanatory enough. Seriously from sexual reproduction it is obvious that half the offspring will be female and half male...

Melongo

HSC
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone got the same answer as me in the satellite one :worried:
i had..
  • Weight arrow going right.. because i thought there would be no gravity in sapce so it would just be going the direction the sattelite was moving.
  • Atmospheric drag arrow i had pointing down..
  • The acceleration i had pointing diagonals betwen right and bottom.
Does anyone know the correct answer to this question?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
militiaman said:
Do we have a definite answer for the decomposition/combustion? I put combustion because it's got oxygen and its got burning, but that doesn't really justify it over decomposition. But yes, the original substance broke down into smaller substances.

Learned people help!
i put corrosion that proves i got it wrong

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
zzzz12345 said:
For the combustion/decomposition question the answer in all probablity is more likely to be decomposition. In the reaction the reaction wasn't exothermic (releases energy) but endothermic (required energy to occur). Combustion reactions are usually (if not always) exothermic. For it to be a combustion reaction Oxygen Gas has to be one of the reactants as the very definition of a combustion reaction is something burning in oxygen. There was no oxygen as a reactant thus it could not possibly be combustion. Decomposition (just decomposition) is a workable solution because a more complicated compound broke down into two simpler compounds and that is the very definition of a decomposition reaction.
I said that a line graph wouldn't be suitable because I guess you could use a histogram to graph the number of people with blue, brown etc. eyes but a line graph is more progressional e.g. temperature of solution etc. With a divided bar graph you could use it as a proportional graph to show how many people have a certain colour of eyes; well that's what I thought anyway.
For the 'what is passed on' question, I said genes because as the syllabus lovingly states, genes are part of DNA. Chromosomes refer to the whole thing and I wasn't exactly sure that would be appropriate so I said genes.
For the life cycle I decided it would be self explanatory that half the toadlets would be female but maybe not self-explanatory enough. Seriously from sexual reproduction it is obvious that half the offspring will be female and half male...
I saw decomposition on Wikipedia the example was what we had T_T
I wrote line graph and genes too for the same reason.
For the toad, is the tadpole or toadlet separated into male and female?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the answer to the ball and slope question was B (the straight line)

fayeee

HSC
Melongo said:
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone got the same answer as me in the satellite one :worried:
i had..
  • Weight arrow going right.. because i thought there would be no gravity in sapce so it would just be going the direction the sattelite was moving.
  • Atmospheric drag arrow i had pointing down..
  • The acceleration i had pointing diagonals betwen right and bottom.
Does anyone know the correct answer to this question?
I had exactly that too!
There was a similar question in a past paper
not so thorough, but i'm pretty sure the weight arrow is pointing down

kkwok25

UAI aim: 85+
HSC
fayeee said:
I had exactly that too!
There was a similar question in a past paper
not so thorough, but i'm pretty sure the weight arrow is pointing down
oh damn. i had the weight up cos i thought like no gravity so its just going up lol. forgot about the directions...
acceleration...i think i had it going diagonals...um, SE....and atmosphere down. damn got it wrong LOL

what did people get for the word equation?

eliseliselise

HSC
aaaah i almost had a stroke when i saw that god forsaken satellite question which i do not understand and really don't actually want to. but overall, i found it quite a nice and definitely fair test and i liked the toad questions!!! hehehe!!!

zeleboy

HSC
Rhystah said:
I'm pretty sure the acceleration graph was A, the upwards curvy one.
If you roll a ball down a slope, wouldn't it get faster and faster?
Not on a smooth slope. (hopefully: smooth implying that it doesnt slope around)

zeleboy

HSC
Aplus said:
I didn't think of bringing a protractor into a science examination, so I was fucked for that question. I divided the graph into quarters and I just put 33% or something. So it's A)26%?
Well... the industrial sector was less than a quarter (25%) ....

So getting 33% might be a bit off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)