SC 2007 - Mathematics (1 Viewer)

militiaman

HSC
Thought we should use the individual threads rather than having one huge one.

Maths was kinda meh. I knew from the outset that it was going to be difficult at times, and it was. I believe I'll get 80+ for it, I'm just disappointed because I don't think I did enough to get a band 6. The non-cal shitted me, not enough time, and I completely stuffed a couple of angles questions (didn't answer the 2nd last one).

Mutliple choice was very easy at the start, but then progressively got patches of hard questions. I didn't have enough time to double check my Correct/Incorrect answers, which was a shame.

The final answers bit was relatively simple overall. I realised right at the end though that the last answer for the first question was wrong. What did you guys put as the 3 goal amounts to make a median of 7 and range of 7?

As I said, there's probably no trouble in getting 50% in this, but IMO it would be very hard to get 90%+.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
What did you think of it?

Personally I think it was OK except Section 1 was too long for 30 minutes and a lot of people didn't finish all the questions in time.

telekenixis

HSC
after doing past papers, i was expecting it to be a bit easier. unfortunetly for me, about 5-10 questions were in my weak point, but overall pretty easy, hope i dont have much mistakes

im predicting a score of 80+, hopefully 85+

muz01

HSC
maths i thought was absolute bull-feaces, i reckon that was harder then the 06 paper and the trial i did, didnt go too good didnt have enough time

AnandDNA

HSC
Maths i thought was okay i had troible with around 5 questions but managed to do it well i am expecting 85+ hopefully.

Regarding that goal question the scores i added were 10, 8, 8

Mattofoz

HSC
I found this pretty easy! Was expecting harder! Im expecting 85+

Ppen

HSC
Hi first post. I think i went really well and it was easy but most likely i've probably made some calculation error. Just wondering about a few questions:
  • In the question about petrol did she save or lose money? (taking in mind return trip meaning 3+3 litres)
  • What was the angle where the buce was cut off?
  • What were the last two answers (angles)? I put 24 degrees and 24 again for the last question cos it was corresponding.

reggie7

You'll Never Walk Alone
HSC
I added 10,10,10 wouldn't that be correct as well since you needed to add 3 numbers above 7 and 1 at least 10?

I found it easier than my trial, only guessed 2 or 3 questions. when I went to look at the long response during reading time I was so pleased to see no circle geometry and an easy probability one.

What was that one where it had :

a:b 2:3
b:c 4:5

what is A:C ?

Last edited:

fayeee

HSC
Ppen said:
Hi first post. I think i went really well and it was easy but most likely i've probably made some calculation error. Just wondering about a few questions:
  • In the question about petrol did she save or lose money? (taking in mind return trip meaning 3+3 litres)
  • What was the angle where the buce was cut off?
  • What were the last two answers (angles)? I put 24 degrees and 24 again for the last question cos it was corresponding.
I said she lost money cos she did right? but my explanation was dodgy LOL

what buce thing? HAHA completely forgotten most questions..

oh damn, I don't remember the last question either.

oh dear

flaminwaffle

HSC
reggie7 said:
I added 10,10,10 wouldn't that be correct as well since you needed to add 3 numbers above 7 and 1 at least 10?

I found it easier than my trial, only guessed 2 or 3 questions. when I went to look at the long response during reading time I was so pleased to see no circle geometry and an easy probability one.

c:b 4:5

Was it c:b or b:c that was 4:5. Oh well, i'll do it with c:b. Either way, you'll figure out the concept

Ok, c:b is 4:5 and b is common to both. So we find a lowest common demoninator for the two bs (5 and 3), which is 15. In a:b, 3 is multiplied by 5 to get 15, so we multiple the two by five. In c:b, b is multiplied by 3 to get 15 so we multiple 4 by 3 (just like fractions)

And we end up with
a:b 10:15
c:b 12:15
Which can be rewritten as 10:15:12 (a:b:c)
So a:c is equal to 10:12 which is simplified to 5:6.

----------
For me, i fully messed up the one which said mathematically work out which one was cheaper and explain for the petrol question >.<

n.starsss

HSC
Non-calculator section was pretty easy but I had some trouble with a few of the multiple choice and correct/incorrect questions.
I'm hoping for band 5 or 6. :)

militiaman said:
What did you guys put as the 3 goal amounts to make a median of 7 and range of 7?
I think I got 9,10,10 for that.

reggie7 said:

I got D (Cant remember what it was) but its probably the incorrect answer anyway. :/

Ppen

HSC
I think i got A:C = 15:8.
cos a:b 2:3
therefore to convert c into amout of b-parts:
3: x = 4: 5
x= 3.75
then to convert to 3.75 b-parts to a-parts, divide by 2.
=1.875=15/8

correct me if i'm wrong

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I put 9,9,10 for the goals question.

In the petrol question, she loses something like $2 as it's almost $7 for the 6 litres of petrol she uses. Technically I suppose you could say she doesn't lose any money as noone said she'd rebuy those 6L.

Last edited:

Ppen

HSC
fayeee said:
I said she lost money cos she did right? but my explanation was dodgy LOL

what buce thing? HAHA completely forgotten most questions..

oh damn, I don't remember the last question either.

oh dear
sorry, buce question = cube thing

flaminwaffle

HSC
do you mean the cube one with the corner cut off?

I got 60 degrees. somehow i managed to work out it was an equalaterial triangle, althought i might be wrong >.<

wanted4911

HSC
the A:C was 5:2

which is the same as 5/2

correct me if im wrong but i think its right

my set of numbers were like this

wanted4911

HSC
flaminwaffle said:
Was it c:b or b:c that was 4:5. Oh well, i'll do it with c:b. Either way, you'll figure out the concept

Ok, c:b is 4:5 and b is common to both. So we find a lowest common demoninator for the two bs (5 and 3), which is 15. In a:b, 3 is multiplied by 5 to get 15, so we multiple the two by five. In c:b, b is multiplied by 3 to get 15 so we multiple 4 by 3 (just like fractions)

And we end up with
a:b 10:15
c:b 12:15
Which can be rewritten as 10:15:12 (a:b:c)
So a:c is equal to 10:12 which is simplified to 5:6.

----------
For me, i fully messed up the one which said mathematically work out which one was cheaper and explain for the petrol question >.<
lol i sad that 60L from shop A is 69.9 i think

and that Shop B was 74. sumthing lol

minus them from each other and u get ur difference

however for the last one how it says if she lost or gained

i said gained lol

so yeah

another question in the non-calculator

explain why anle EFB=ABC sumthing like that

i measured it using a protractor and said tat they both measure 33 degrees
and showed the angles

would that be right?

militiaman

HSC
I think this is the correct ratios question:

a:b = 2:3
b:c = 4:5

What is a:c?

Hmm, not certain though, because my answer for that is 18:25, which wasn't what I put.

Oh and wanted, that's what I first put for the median, but then it actually works out to be 6.5

Ppen

HSC
I thought it was relatively easy. Non-calc and last section were easy for me except there were a few hard m/c or incorrect/correct answers i found difficult.
fingers crossed band 6. : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)