Rounding in the HSC (1 Viewer)

specificagent1

HSC
So for subjects like Chem and Maths, if they dont specify how many sig fig/dp to round to, what do you round to?

DheerChoudhury

HSC
From my understanding, it's that if you're multiplying/dividing, go with the least number of sigfigs you're given. And if adding/subtracting, then the least number of decimal places.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Usually for Maths they make it very clear in the question what sort of rounding they want, otherwise the default is always exact values.

cossine

HSC
So for subjects like Chem and Maths, if they dont specify how many sig fig/dp to round to, what do you round to?
What I like to do in these scenarios is use wavy equal signs. This way it is understood rounding is occuring. General I think the standard is round to two decimal points or 2 significant figures but there are no hard rules to my knowledge.

So in 21 a) you could have written T = <some math expression> "wavy equal sign" 61.6 degrees

tito981

HSC
I have heard for science they have to allocate 1 mark to significant figures, this usually comes at the beginning of the exam. somebody correct me if im wrong.

icycledough

HSC
I have heard for science they have to allocate 1 mark to significant figures, this usually comes at the beginning of the exam. somebody correct me if im wrong.
I heard slightly different that in the sciences, they don't allocate sig.fig marks for all the calculation questions. They will allocate it for a few (which you won't know obviously, unless they explicitly mention it) and then mark it like that.

fnsndgfg

HSC
Has anyone ever even lost marks for not rounding enough? (Unless it is meant to be an exact value).
i.e answering 2.35634 instead of 2.4.

I normally write out the non-rounded version before the rounded answer to be safe so the marker knows where I rounded from.

tito981

HSC
I heard slightly different that in the sciences, they don't allocate sig.fig marks for all the calculation questions. They will allocate it for a few (which you won't know obviously, unless they explicitly mention it) and then mark it like that.
Yeah thats what i meant to say, but i think there is only 1 actual mark they can allocate not a few marks.

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Has anyone ever even lost marks for not rounding enough? (Unless it is meant to be an exact value).
i.e answering 2.35634 instead of 2.4.

I normally write out the non-rounded version before the rounded answer to be safe so the marker knows where I rounded from.
That’s what everyone should be doing. If there are continuously the same number and changes, to be time efficient put … after 3/4 digits into the raw rounded version and then elaborate from there.

specificagent1

HSC
That’s what everyone should be doing. If there are continuously the same number and changes, to be time efficient put … after 3/4 digits into the raw rounded version and then elaborate from there.
haaha that's good to hear because i've been doing that all along. I was just wondering after the ... line what we round it to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)