Romanticism, people! (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
How'd you think it went?

Thought essay question was so-so. Pretty simple, kinda just sounded like the syllabus regurgitated which is exactly what i wanted. Had quite a tenuous link to Wuthering Heights...but meh.

Creative writing stimulus was heaps gothic-y, which suited my prepared fantastically...except I had to change it to be more about nature.

Overall and alright-ish exam!

My teacher said they wouldn't ask about nature because it's too convoluted/shallow. Epic fail BOS.

sims2lover

HSC
i thought it was a good question.

the essay was so open and it was pretty easy to write about. wrote about 21 pages lol

the story was a bit harder
i prepared a gothic story - which i used but mentioned heaps about nature and stuff. wrote about 14 pages

:)

hope everyone went well

Audolphus

HSC
I thought that it was alright, the essay question I thought might have been a little easier, having to relate human experience to imagination was tedius.

And for the creative I wrote about someone who had been paralysed and were dreaming about walking in nature again, it fitted well with what I was looking at writing about.

What were everyones texts that they used as well, I used Pandaemonium and Beethovens 3rd Symphony

M.T.T.

HSC
The concept of "imagination" hardly comes up in my notes on Romanticism. Fuck the essay question.

Creative question was a lot better.

harryc

HSC
I seriously loved it. I mean, that said I have no idea how I went, but I reckon I did pretty good. Got 14 pages out of it, and 8 out of creative, so yeah. I've been building my essays around imagination lately, so I pretty much lucked out with the question.

MzBiiBii

HSC
I liked essay more than creative, most of my texts fit well under imagination

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
The concept of "imagination" hardly comes up in my notes on Romanticism. Fuck the essay question.

Neither, I was mostly all individualism/idealism, but just before the exam I crammed a whole lot of imagination analysis.

Neither of my two selected prescribed really related to the imagination- Possession and Wuthering Heights, which was kinda terrible. I wrote a pretty amazing introduction though (here's hoping that will give me a few solid marks..!)

My creative was about a seance. It had some deep moral meaning that had to do with nature, some wanky thing that the BOS will lap up, I'm sure.

Also, I used 'The Little Black Boy' by William Blake, and 'The Social Contract' by Rousseau- which is definitively NOT an imaginative work..try relating that to the imagination = biggest mission

atal.love

HSC
oh, the paper was a blessing.
my essay thesis was on the power and control of imagination over human experience,
so I was dancing during the reading time.
prescribed were Coleridge/Austen and related Wordsworth poetry/Friedrich painting.
similarly with my creative, it wasn't that hard to adapt, just a few sentences here and there to shift the focus to the natural world.
i've never been happier with extension 1 in my life.

Last edited:

Arix

HSC
I felt preeety good about- the essay question was basically the same as our trial question YAY....but then again whenever I feel good about an exam I don't go so well :s so who knows....

I reckon Romantism is by far the best topic, 'after the bomb'..I mean seriously? really? I'd much prefer being a hippy and blabbing about the natural environment..

ryder2106

HSC
I was actually really happy with the exam, considering the amount of study I put into it.
I did Coleridge and Austen, related texts were Heinrich Heine's poem Auf Flügeln des Gesanges and Jane Eyre the film.
I did 11 pages on essay and 8 on creative, not too bad. Essay question was sooo basic, really easy I thought. Creative didn't really match my prepared story, but it was a good stimulus so it just flowed right outta me, I actually kinda didn't want the exam to end! =S

kat.kazokas

HSC

That's horrible..It was shoved into our brains every lesson and in every assessment task. Didn't you read the rubric?

catherinet

HSC
The essay Q was almost identical to the one on the catholic trial :)

dave91

HSC
If you did wuthering heights as your prescribed then you would have struggled with this question, i suspect, since it focuses alot more on physcial and emotional taming/liberation

though i dont know a huge amount about it...we did a grand total of two lessons (80 mins) on the book =P
i had a feeling the imagination would be the focus this year so i used the keats and coleridge poetry as my prescribeds, then a friedrich painting and Jane Campion's film The Piano. The latter is quite similar in style and themes to wuthering heights, but because there is so much focus on a piano, hence music, hence imagination i got away with it =)

danal353

HSC
essay question was okay. LOVED the creative question -and the stimulus was pretty much made for my creative

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
Neither, I was mostly all individualism/idealism
+1
north anger abbey would have been ideal to talk about in regards to imagination - but we focused more on wuthering heights and keats.. i hated north anger abbey! D:

the question was alright - i just tried to slip in imagination, therefore the mind, therefore, individualism, therefore idealism as much as i could :p

and the whole experience thing was good - we spent a year talking about Immanuel Kant and how he maintained we dont know the world through experience BLAH BLAH!

so.. handy!

Last edited:

estora

HSC
The essay was probably one of the worst essays I have ever written. Ever. I couldn't remember any quotes or techniques and I think I only managed 5 pages (but my hand writing is tiny - I average about 12 words per line).

The story was better. I wrote about 10-11 pages and it was a Gothic Horror, but I don't know if I actually answered the question. Nature?! My teacher implied that it was too obvious. Fuck nature, I say. I basically wrote about this young girl who was married to this mysterious man and lived in seclusion, her only escape being her book of poetry (Lyrical Ballads, lol) and the courtyard where nature was slowly overcoming the depressing house. Oh, and she was being poisoned. And the servants were evil.

I'd like to get over 60% for this, to be honest...

ixswans

HSC
Looking back and getting over the 'fuck they didn't totally rape us!' hype, the exam paper was okay-good.

I twisted the essay question, repeated my thesis over and over and over, relating it back at the end of every paragraph just in case.

My creative was about kids who broke the eggs of a bird's nest, nature invokes her wrath on them, they say sorry and the sun shines. Nature helps you learn. Out of arse because my "prepared" didn't fit at all. I just thought of Mariner and kind of redid it.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
+1
north anger abbey would have been ideal to talk about in regards to imagination - but we focused more on wuthering heights and keats.. i hated north anger abbey! D:

the question was alright - i just tried to slip in imagination, therefore the mind, therefore, individualism, therefore idealism as much as i could :p

and the whole experience thing was good - we spent a year talking about Immanuel Kant and how he maintained we dont know the world through experience BLAH BLAH!

so.. handy!

yeah, I kinda went

Imagination > used as reflection on social and political change > the rise of individualism on the cusp of revolution.

Anyway, basically I fucked up this exam. But oh well, shit happens.

Clifford

HSC
Looking back and getting over the 'fuck they didn't totally rape us!' hype, the exam paper was okay-good.

I twisted the essay question, repeated my thesis over and over and over, relating it back at the end of every paragraph just in case.

My creative was about kids who broke the eggs of a bird's nest, nature invokes her wrath on them, they say sorry and the sun shines. Nature helps you learn. Out of arse because my "prepared" didn't fit at all. I just thought of Mariner and kind of redid it.
haha.

"And instead of the cross around their necks the eggshells were hung"

ixswans

HSC
Their punishment was a flock of ravens pecking at them.

I am so macabre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)