Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

brassedoff

HSC
Jamoe said:
I watched "The Count of Monte Christo" that is a PRIME example!

i still cant get my head around the tragedy bit

and where is the tragedy in high noon?:confused:
But he doesn't die in the movie. Or descend into madness. Arguably, his friend thinks he does, but any examiner who's seen it would see the bullshit flowing.
English is about disguising bullshit. The book might be ok.

brassedoff

HSC
Butterfly Kissz said:
hey.
i have an assessment task on last year's HSC revenge tragedy question.. wondering if anyone could possibly help me???

"what's done is done"- write a reflection from the perspective of a character from one of your prescribed texts. write within the conventions of the genre.

i was hoping to do Vindice...
any help would be much appreciated. thanx!!!
have fun. We have to come up with our own revenge tragedy and our own characters. *stabs creative*

HSC
N/A
~dEjA vOuX~ said:
It's probably best to ask your teacher about whether HSC markers look down upon R rated films.

I was wondering...I have to do a speech on tuesday, and it has to be 5 minutes long. How many seconds do they generally allow you to go over by before you get penalised?
at our school it's 15seconds..
but we only get to talk for 3minutes coz we've got sooo many students *groans*

my view on RT (anyone really care? - i think not) anyhow.. i reckon RT is interesting, so long as we don't have to analyse it.. but we do, therefore my interest in the genre has deteriorated...

Last edited by a moderator:

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
have fun with revenge. It is an extremely interesting and if you do the work, you can achieve really high marks.

It is so much more interesting and meaningful than english advanced, as well as being less than half the work.

NellyBelly89

HSC
Someone suggest I do the film In The Bedroom. I dont know if anyone has seen it but was wondering if you think it is suitable. I personally think it isnt an outstanding film but i dont want to wreck anything i actually love or adore. haha.

Eliza_Grace

HSC
just a quick and almost irrelevant question, but do you (the people who do eng ext1) do horrible in eng adv but relatively well in eng ext? because that's what happens to me

hapalicious

HSC
I find I do way better in eng adv than in eng extension..I seem to only be able to get band 5 marks..grr so annoying!!

Last edited:

all_of_myself

HSC
This has probably been answered somewhere already...but can they ask you to write about ANY of the prescribed texts in the HSC? I cannot STAND the Revenger's Tragedy, and I was hoping I could just use High Noon and Medea plus my related texts...

hapalicious

HSC
you can choose to do Any two of the three prescribed texts. Medea and High Noon would be good.

Last edited:

Melorra

HSC
the revengers tragedy is the most slapstick, chaotic piece of revenge tragedy ever written and its a core text. why oh why is hamlet not in there?!
they picked high noon AND revengers tragedy over hamlet. pfft.
im kicking myself for not doing induvidual and society :p

extra texts,
V for Vendetta
The Crow
Duchess of Malfi
Man on Fire
Mystic River

shade8219

The Fob of SBHS '07
HSC
I can only say that Medea sucks so hard its not funny...
Two days before school and I havn't touched the essays teacher's given me...

O woe be me....

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Medea's not that bad when you get over the fact she killed her own kids, the revenge tragedy element is so obvious to and there are so many things you could talk about in an essay. :)

kat18

HSC
Medeas ok there are better thigns but also much much worse. The revenegers tragedy however is so funny our teacher has told from now on anything we don't understand is a reference to sex, very random but highly amusing.

idling fire

HSC
For anyone who despises The Revenger's Tragedy :

After reading the play (yes, after... no short cuts!) watch the movie Revengers Tragedy (2002) directed by Alex Cox. I found it absolutely hillarious. Although I hated the play before, the movie made me actually enjoy it (even though I've now forgotten most of the movie, at least I remember the play).

Vindice: Pistols! Treason! Guards! Help! My lord, the Duke, is murdered!
Lussurioso: [puzzled] No, I'm not.
[Vindici stabs him]
:rofl:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
idling fire said:
For anyone who despises The Revenger's Tragedy :

After reading the play (yes, after... no short cuts!) watch the movie Revengers Tragedy (2002) directed by Alex Cox. I found it absolutely hillarious. Although I hated the play before, the movie made me actually enjoy it (even though I've now forgotten most of the movie, at least I remember the play).

Vindice: Pistols! Treason! Guards! Help! My lord, the Duke, is murdered!
Lussurioso: [puzzled] No, I'm not.
[Vindici stabs him]
:rofl:
haha it's so farcical.
much like A&cleo...
A so pathetic that he couldnt even kill himself..
lol...

mitchellevelyn

HSC
Melorra said:
the revengers tragedy is the most slapstick, chaotic piece of revenge tragedy ever written and its a core text. why oh why is hamlet not in there?!
they picked high noon AND revengers tragedy over hamlet. pfft.
im kicking myself for not doing induvidual and society :p

extra texts,
V for Vendetta
The Crow
Duchess of Malfi
Man on Fire
Mystic River
The whole point of the elective if for us to understand the nature of Genre. Hamlet is the central text of the genre - so, as it sets the conventions of the genre, by definition it practically IS the genre. So there snt really much point in learning about the "fluidity" and "unstructured" nature of genre by studying the text that conforms to it most rigidly.

The idea is to see how genre evolves and changes. Thats why I like the Revengers Tragedy - its a satire. It is purposely "over the top" - because it is paying out their society and their obsession with tragedy. Hell, it was written 6 years after hamlet - he even parodys it a bit with the whole skull of golriana thing (as opposed to Yoric). Every prescribed text represents a different way in which the conventions are subverted. THats the whole idea.

a dumb poof

HSC
just wanted clarify about "Batman Begins" as a supplementary text,
if focusing on revenge tragedy conventions, would we refer to the Ra's al Ghul as the tragic avengers? or can we also say that batman himself is the avenger who subverts the conventions since he doesn't have a "tragic downfall"

thanks for any help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)