Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

the_nemisis

Does anyone do REVENGE TRAGEDY

i have an assesment task and im seeking related material.... i dont want it to be to complex or anything as i already do Medea, High Noon, Hamlet and Unforgiven. Im seeking a song, or anything small

thanks

phillipo

HSC
Hey did your teacher actually teach you Hamlet or is it a related text that you chose? The reason I ask is that it's a 2u text and the examiners get really suspicious if you do any texts from another course, a few people in my 2u class were using some book starting with a b...really can't remember...and a parent (who is on the board of studies) rang up and told them they had to choose other texts. Our teachers checked with the board and they strongly advised against it too...

but in actual fact, Hamlet really should be one of the core texts for RT, not fricken Revenger's Tragedy, that's a load of crap

phillipo

HSC
oh, but in answer to your related text thing, you can do a film (only takes about 3 hours to watch and write notes on) like:
Road to Perdition
Godfather part I or II
Gladiator
The Talented Mr Ripley (arguably not a tragedy but you can always bullshit your way around it)

OR go to the Sydney Morning Herald website and search for an article, like type in "revenge" and "murder" and you can always argue that articles are tragedies coz they, you know, "reveal certain truths about our society which we choose to ignore" and the fact that RT isn't just fictional.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
talkign abt songs...somone is doing one of eminem's song..but i say it is a bit suicidal unless you can come up with a highly intellectual thesis on the elements of RT...

as philipo mentioned b4..and i will mention again...galdiator is a good choice.....it is not dat hard or complex..

hamlet is suspicious for 3u because it is a 2u prescribed text...what did your teacher say?

truly in bliss

Wacky

Who me?
HSC
Well, its a poem, but since nobody's mentioned it yet

My Last Duchess
Propyria's Lover (spelling unsure)

by Robert Browning (I think)

besides, Revenger's Tragedy is funny. High Noon isn't really revenge at all. Revenge is more of a side issue.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I've renamed this thread, and given it "sticky" status ...

ijuzcantw8

If it's an assessment task, won't you be needing more than "small" related texts?? - just a thought.

But on the notion of small, there's a song called 'I did what I did for maria'

Also the film The Bank and Gladiator and the novel The Count of Monte Cristo.

Btw, High Noon is a demonstration of what rev. tragedy is NOT rather than what it is..... it's a comment on the changing nature of the genre.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
*steps in the high noon lover*

the conflic tis not between Will Kane and Frank Miller...

the conflcit is between Kane and the moral cowardice of the society and that is the tragedy

the tragedy is a moral one,....not physical.....furthermore, because we are been left with an opening-ending......the tragedy also lies in the hopeless future of the society.....

Kane = law
Kane leaves at the end = no law
society needs law and when Hadleyville looses Kane = hadlevyille loses law = no future = tragedy

so the tragedy is both the present and the future

aleaha

thats strange because our teachers told us to most definately use "Hamlet", the film as a related text b/cos we read through the HSC MARKING CRITERIA for last yr, and they said that "not enough students used Hamlet". And by the way The Reven. Tragedy is a sick novel!! Its better the High Noon.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
High Noon is so boring, especially when you have to analyse the first 7 minutes over and over and over again...

agent_angel

HSC
hey guys i was wondering if ne1 knew of sum good egs of revenge tragedy novels? preferably written in the 19th century
ta heaps

HSC
i did this topic last year, i reccommend "zaide" a french film (if u can get hold of it) as it exemplifies all the notions of the genre perfectly and is a more arty film than road to perdition etc, and is packed with techniques... if ur after a more contemporary play then "suddenly last summer" by tenessee williams works if you tie it in with high noon and being unconventional in its represenation on conventions... theres also a south park episode (involves toilet paper) which can work if u point out that its modern, and the context its written in is so opposed to those of other texts...

basil

HSC
so the count of monte christo is definately a good text for revenge tragedy?

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by basil
so the count of monte christo is definately a good text for revenge tragedy?
Yep!

I was just wondering though, does anyone have any ideas for a good text from the Greek Classical period? I don't want to do Electra by Sophocles (as half my class is doing it) and I'm already doing Medea. I was thinking of doing Thyestes by Seneca, but from what I've read about it on the 'net I'm not too sure.

Anyone?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)