Retreating from retreat from the global. (1 Viewer)

bathtubsoap

HSC
If this topic were a person i would stab it repeatedly.

SO glad it's over, and the critical question was pretty reasonable. They had a good creative writing stimulus as well, but the question!! Independece and dependence?! That was really random. The fact that it also asked for the picture to be a significant setting meant it was tricky not to take it literally.

What did everyone else think about the questions?

Please feel free to join in with the stabbing/burning of this module and if anyone in the years below is considering doing ext 1 next year DO NOT DO RETREAT FROM THE GLOBAL!!

soola

HSC
I loved this elective!!!!!
just not the exam....
i don't think i really answered the analytical question and i barely had any quotes or techniques...
like the trial and half yearly much better
the creative was so weird too!!!....i had to think about it for a while!
but yeah RFTG is a really cool elective and i was enjoying it until the exam...

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
ditto. loved the elective, but the exam was .. ahuh/

i feel like a nob now but i swear all my exams have been pretty weird.

independence and dependence?? i think im rooted for that

figzy

so over it
HSC
Yeh i loved the topic so muuucch but that stupid independance and dependance exam was freaking shiteeee! fit none of my prepared responses and i had to completely fudge it. I think i did ok with the themes and stuff though. My essay went heapsss good, just a little tweaking of my one and only prepared response (eek). I hope i get good marks

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
i hated this elective like the thread starter!!!
Most boring, uninteresting topic....and two of the three prescribed texts we had to study i.e the castle and annie proulx were horrible!!! YUCK!!
the only good thing about this elective was that HEaney's poetry is beautiful and doing it meant that i could do ext 2!!!

exam was fine.....essay question was easy...however my creative didnt exactly relate to dependence and independence....eeek....oh well it's over now!!!

WOOOOOOO!!
I'm off to burn The shipping news in a Local ritual!

HSC
N/A
Can anyone post up the exact question?

sounds like the "lets give them something new" from Eng Adv has entered the realms of EE1 as well. Not neccessarily a bad thing in my opinion... but understandably sucky for students who have been relying on a particular type of question (or who have been taught to frame responses according to a certain perspective)

daledugahole

HSC
Question 11:

A picture of people wearing suits with brief cases and an umbrella standing in the ocean. Above it the words "Globalisation complicates the landscape..."

Use the provided image as a significant setting in a short story which examines the relationship between independance and dependance.

In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of Retreat from the Global.

Question 12:

Retreat from the Global locates us in places of cultural and personal challenge.

Write an essay in which you evaluate the extent to which this is true of TWO perscribed texts AND at least TWO texts of your own choosing.

~~~

I liked the exam. I though the essay question was good and I was able to easily mould my texts to fit the criteria of the question.

I didn't mind the creative question. I had a few different short stories that I'd written and so I was able to choose one that fit best. Luckily one fit really well with the independence and dependence but I'm not sure how well it related to the picture it was more of a metaphorical relation to the picture. I was really happy because I came up with a really good metaphor that I was able to extend throughout the text.

Overall it was the most happy I've been coming out of an exam. In a kind of sick and twisted way I enjoy doing extension english exams.

HSC
N/A
oooooh

Interesting questions. Were I still in Yr 12, I reckon I would have been a bit stumped as well.

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
Dependance and independance? I MISSED THAT!
lol
luckily my story sorta explored that.

phew

I didnt understand what the essay qu was about tho!

KrissiA

HSC
Loved the essay question. Didn't really like the creative, but just crapped on for a book or so, lol.

Nessa!

HSC
hazaar said:
i hated this elective like the thread starter!!!
Most boring, uninteresting topic....and two of the three prescribed texts we had to study i.e the castle and annie proulx were horrible!!! YUCK!!
the only good thing about this elective was that HEaney's poetry is beautiful and doing it meant that i could do ext 2!!!

exam was fine.....essay question was easy...however my creative didnt exactly relate to dependence and independence....eeek....oh well it's over now!!!

WOOOOOOO!!
I'm off to burn The shipping news in a Local ritual!
lmao yes heaneys poetry was the highlight of the whole course, and Proulx is like death in a few hundred pages. But it's over! And that question was SO left field it's ridiculous, but hey, it was creative writing. It can be overanalysed from not making sense when u wrote it, to totally being a subtle link to the question, even if u didnt mean it to be bahah *nervous twitch*
I reckon it was an alright exam, except we studied so many texts and only needed TWO of the prescribed. Gr. Wrote tonnes though.

sarzie89

HSC
i HATED the creative, loved the analytical. thought it was great... i had 3 diff creative things prepared, and that stimulus threw me so bad.
i hated the elective too... ill join in the stabbing

jessbo555

HSC
No way mate, this RFTG topic was Awesome.:)It was so easy to grasp, and even fairly simple to throw in something about Post Modernism once you got the hang of it.. I found it much better then any of the Adv modules.. the creative stimulus was brilliant, i wrote, possibly, one of my best stories.. and the essay was typical, nothing I didn't expect , and nothing I couldn't smash. It was a good exam.. one that, if you were accuratley prepared for, would have been of no challenge. :)

Graham Trevor

HSC
jessbo555 said:
No way mate, this RFTG topic was Awesome.:)It was so easy to grasp, and even fairly simple to throw in something about Post Modernism once you got the hang of it.. I found it much better then any of the Adv modules.. the creative stimulus was brilliant, i wrote, possibly, one of my best stories.. and the essay was typical, nothing I didn't expect , and nothing I couldn't smash. It was a good exam.. one that, if you were accuratley prepared for, would have been of no challenge. :)

Regardless of how the module is scaled, it was excruciatingly dull. . . Thank God I will never again have to sit in a classroom dreaming up tenuous links between the prescribed texts and the ridiculous concept of the RETREAT FROM THE GLOBAL.

shimmy&shine

HSC
jessbo55 said:
No way mate, this RFTG topic was Awesome.It was so easy to grasp, and even fairly simple to throw in something about Post Modernism once you got the hang of it.. I found it much better then any of the Adv modules.. the creative stimulus was brilliant, i wrote, possibly, one of my best stories.. and the essay was typical, nothing I didn't expect , and nothing I couldn't smash. It was a good exam.. one that, if you were accuratley prepared for, would have been of no challenge.
ditto! :)

i loved the course. my teacher wrote the course, so woah we always had an overload of information, but he was good. he loves it too obviously.

SJazz

HSC
Loved the stimulus, but I think my essay didn't really "evaluate" enough, I guess I had a bit of trouble engaging with the question.
This topic is interesting, but I LOATHE some of the questions we get asked. Stabbing sounds good.
Nessa! said:
Proulx is like death in a few hundred pages.
Proulx was the highlight of this course for me; I love her use of language, it is something to really sink your teeth into, I am a great admirer of her work.

tillytilly

HSC
I accelerated in Adv and Extension 1 this year so I only had three units to concentrate on for HSC.

I liked the Extension exam, the questions were pretty straightforward even if the Composing task was a bit left of centre. I did Heaney and the Bone People so the Responding task fit that very well, what I was prepared for and stuff, lots of postcolonial theory etc.

Yeah, I thought it was quite good, and I did enjoy RFTG this year, it was so so much more interesting than any of the Advanced modules.

shimmy&shine

HSC
tillytilly said:
I accelerated in Adv and Extension 1 this year so I only had three units to concentrate on for HSC.
no offense, but having only like half the units to 'concentrate' on does not work for many people. It's interesting that I know many people doing 12 or 13 units, and they adapt to it, and learn how to handle it.

I know a girl doing only 6 units. I do 10. We started off thinking it was best that we minimise our units to 'concentrate' on them, but really that's not true. I wasted a lot of time and relaxed a little too much.

Hoenestly, people who do 13 units for their hsc, learn how to cope with that, and will do better or equivalent accordingly.

that's just my experience and i would advice people against it and a lot of people agree with me.

Just doing less units, i don't believe really gives you any striking advantage.

lil_miss

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
ditto! :)

i loved the course. my teacher wrote the course, so woah we always had an overload of information, but he was good. he loves it too obviously.

maybe it's easier to love a course and understand it because your teacher actually knows what they're talking about, as opposed to other schools and teachers who do not have that advantage? :(

shimmy&shine

HSC
uuuhhh. maybe. In class he just sits and talks, though what he says is so so good. THEN he starts talking about his hippo experiencein South Africa, and how some leopard nearly pounced on him, and omg he might have been dead! :p
Then we have to push him back on track. but he's very cool.
But then again, he is frequently on lots of trips all over sydney preaching about RFTG. he goes to the city, he goes to plc, he goes to newcastle. so sometimes he's not in class. So it balances out.

I'm sure if your teacher is teaching the module, it's because they have a good grasp on the topic. otherwise they wouldn't be teaching it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)