Retreat From the Global Supplementary (1 Viewer)

-::Sanni::-

HSC
Okay! I know it's kinda late for a supplementary but could someone please help me out?!

I was thinking about using the picture book The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan. Has anyone read it? You know its about that weird looking thing that is lost and this boy, the protagonist, helps the weird lost thing find a place where it will fit in?

I can link it to The Shipping News well and probably The Castle and Lost Salt Gift of Blood, since at least one person is an odd lost thing in their society.....

What do you guys think? Should I use it?

Help! Time is running out....

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think I read it a while ago, I'm not sure. I've looked into it though, and it seems alright. Interesting notes on it, by the composer, such as:

retro-future’ suburb where there were almost no living things left, aside from people, and that everything was very dull and suffocating, but nobody cared too much about this.

excessive plumbing, concrete and machinery.

From what I can gather, it is definitely a viable text. Try looking at:

http://www.shauntan.net/books/lost-thing.html

For some great information on it.

HSC
Thank you! I'll check out the website now.

Oh and another thing. You know how the rubric refers to something about breaking down the traditional barriers of time and space, how would this text relate to it? X_x

I still don't get the whole breaking down of traditional barriers thing X_X

Thanks a bunch for your help anyways! :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Well, the text has been published, hence the ideas and themes expressed in the text are able to transcend barriers of space and time. This also means that it is a global text.

Barriers of time exist, because the individual can only live for so long. Barriers of space exist because individuals can only be in one place, in one existance. THroughout global mediums, individuals can express their thoughts and ideas. Once these ideas have entered the global market, the transcend traditional barriers of space and time.

HSC
I kinda get the first paragraph but the second paragraph... so traditional barriers are just those barriers from old times where you couldn't easily move from one place to another (space). And time relating to how long one lives...i didn't think of that. I thought of it as things being so sped up (e.g. internet communications) that its barrier is eroded.

Globalisation --> break down barriers --> time and space --> now i need to think of how...(I'm really starting to hate the word 'how'. Stupid word is repeated in every English question! XP)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. I may not have the answer, but I'll do the best I can to respond.

HSC
Thanks! I will do that!

But right now I'm trying to concentrate on Biology...which is on Friday. So you might get a pm from me sometime next week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)