Residential Colleges at UniMelb (1 Viewer)

leekiss

HSC
Hey,

Does anyone know which colleges have the best atmosphere etc?

Thanks

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Hey There,

Have you toured any of the colleges?

I chose St Marys because they have an awesome new library and it smelt like rasin toast.

gorgo31

HSC
I've made a tough call and am gonna avoid the colleges, simply cause they're so expensive for only 32 weeks of accomodation. My parents aren't contributing a cent so it's not really cost effective for me. I'm instead applying for something called SHAP, a kind of transitional share-house accomodation for two semesters. Sounds awesome. Can't wait :)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey LeeKiss
I think the best thing for you to do would be to tour the colleges if you have the opportunity. If you don't however, look at their websites and try and ask around friends to see if they know anyone who is in a college. Even if that person does not go to a college, if they're not a fresher they'll usually have a good grounding on what are the dodgy ones and what ones are not.

I have been accepted into Queen's College for 2006 as a 1st year. I'm VERY excited to be a Queenie and glad I got my first preference. I talked to my sister and cousin who goes to the uni and actually goes to St Marys (respectively.).
This was the low down that I got from them:
  • Ormond, Trinity, Newman and Queen's are known as the 'old school' colleges. The four of them were established around the time the university was created (any time between 1860 and the early 1900s). Therefore they are quite traditional but I quite like that idea.
  • Ormond and Trinity are considered by some to be a bit 'toffy' or 'snobby'. They're also two of the largest colleges (ormond has around 300 students). I think a college over 240 is too large as you really want to know your master, vice master and scr members and them to know you. It is your home after all. Trinity, Newman and Ormond have the strongest music programs according to my sister.
  • St. Mary's granted has a hella cool library that they share with Newman and Iwas about to put St Marys as my first preference. I didn't because I want to go into an atmosphere where I don't know anyone and I know some ppl at Marys already. It's got a really cute, homey, tight-knit atmosphere. when I was there it was obvious that everyone is made welcome.
  • What attracted me to Queen's was the first the fact my sister recommended it (she sang inthe choir a while back) and also their scholarship program (one of the best out of the colleges). They're also a very value based college. It's important that you academically succeed but they are not a huge bunch of smart cookies/over achievers. Lots of people are good at lots of different things. They're committed to making their community diverse and they help that in their selection process. Equal numbers of private, public, independent and catholic students, they allow international students, kids from rural and city backgrounds, kids from varying financial backgrounds (however I think that last one is limited because college is soo frikken expensive)
  • On that note, yeah, college is expensive as gorgo stated, but it will be a unreal experience that I will be most willing to share when I start it...I probably will on this forum.
  • check out the intercollegiate website http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au and that will provide links to every college and give a few stats (there is a good comparative table on there for fees).
  • International House has tonnes of international students, university house is relaxed, st.hildas in a tart college (go there if you're a get around), whitley is HUGE on community based living, ridley hall is just WEIRD, newman is catholic, janet clarke hall is cute (bit small only 90 odd kids), St. Marys is lovely, Queen's rocks my boat

I'm done.:wave:

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
heyy
i had a phone interview for whitely my first preference a while ago cause i ive in sydney; and she gave me an offer over the phone! haah yay :D:D:D:D:D

sarahn

HSC
is hildas really that bad??? i applied for hildas :( ...and im no tart!! i know a couple of people that are there and they arent either...

skillo, can you tell me any more about hildas? :confused:

leekiss

HSC
What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview? Is it true that for Queen's College you only need to send in a personal statement and don't need a phone interview, if you are unable to attend an interview? Which other colleges allow you to send in a personal statement, rather than have a phone interview?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
sarahn - Lol. Nah, like St.Hildas is still a great college and stuff, it's just some of the stuff my cousin and sister said. I'll find out when I get there.
You're from Rutherglen eh? Hmm. Me thinks we've had a conversation of this sort. I'm in Albury. I worked in the glen this year, know it quite well.

muselara - well done! my cousin said that if he didn't go to marys he'd go to whitley...good job!

leekiss - yeah, with the personal statement thing with Queens. Even though I live interstate too (I live in Albury 320km from Melbourne) I attended the interview and I think it is better too. I went in there expecting all these questions like: "Why do you want to go to this college etc, what do you think you could contribute to the college etc" but none of that was discussed. It was seriously just a REALLY nice chat with the vice master. As part of the Queen's process you have to complete an online resume and fill in a tonne of fields going anything from part time work, to extra-curricular activities to if you've been overseas with your school. Dr. Moseley (the v-m @ Queens) was soo nice and I'm not just saying that. I sat in his big comfy chair in his study and he first told me that my resume was VERY detailed so he didn't want to really talk about what I'd done much, but rather what I value. He asked me what I value in life and what I think is important. I told him my values and went on a bit of a public education/equality rant but I enjoyed it. They were really tough questions (that's why I don't think a personal statement would really be that great) and I was in there for about 45 mins but I think the most important thing to do is be honest. And I was, I relaxed, thought about what I was going to say before I said it (he noticed it and told me it was a quality of a good debater...hehehe). I think you have to be honest in these kinds of things because sure, you could be someone you're not for a morning, but if you get in, you'll have to live up to your lies. I told him I had my faults, but everyone does. I enjoyed it, I think he valued my honesty, and I got in. Soooo glad I did too.
Oh and I think they do personal statements because heaps of people apply for queens because its one of the bigger colleges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)