raw marks for band 6? (1 Viewer)

tku336

HSC
From our school trial marks its looking like about 75ish is good enough for band 6. Although we mark slightly harder, so probably around 80/105 is enough.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well ok, the one they sent away was 90, my teacher told me...
Cool - that's not necessarily that appears on your "Internal" assessment sheet. Could be heaps higher, could be heaps lower - it's scale depending on how you go in your externals (and is also somewhat affected by how others at your school go).

tku336

HSC
Um, how does Sefton go in the HSC for English?Last year we had over 70 people I think over 90 as a HSC mark in English, and 8 over 90/105 as a raw trial mark. This year it's similar. Although for some reason we never score that highly at the top end. It's been a while since we state ranked in 2 unit (though we ranked in 4 unit last year). Our top was 97.5 this time, which is pretty low for a top mark usually (though still shitloads better than I could ever do.)

NoName91

HSC
A better idea would be to think about doing well in your next exams maybe? Save the speculation for after its done?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
A better idea would be to think about doing well in your next exams maybe? Save the speculation for after its done?
LOL but speculation is fun! Wow some people's exams are marked pretty harshly. What's the point tho, if someone has a 20/20 essay and you give them 18/20 well you're making them fret over nothing and they'l probably ruin their essay as opposed to improving it. If an essay deserves full marks well it should get it. There's no such thing as a perfect essay considering the whole issue about essays being "a first draft" under exam conditions. The highest in our trial was like 102/105 and i ranked 21/133 with 93/105. Most people were in the 80's .

tku336

HSC
Meh, I have ancient then maths.A joke subject and then an easy subject.

tku336

HSC
Doubt it. This paper wasn't easy, not by a long shot.Also, remember that BANDS are not determined by the percentage of people over a mark. If everyone else in the state gets 104/105 and you get 103/105, you will presumably still get well into a band 6. The converse, of course, can be seen in Standard :) All a 90 means is that you hit the criteria for getting a 90 in your sections. Since the criteria stays the same, the cut offs should stay vaguely the same

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Doubt it. This paper wasn't easy, not by a long shot.Also, remember that BANDS are not determined by the percentage of people over a mark. If everyone else in the state gets 104/105 and you get 103/105, you will presumably still get well into a band 6. The converse, of course, can be seen in Standard :) All a 90 means is that you hit the criteria for getting a 90 in your sections. Since the criteria stays the same, the cut offs should stay vaguely the same
While I personally think the paper was one of the easiest papers ever, section 3 of paper I threw lots of people off, which would probably incline the judges to lower the cutoff.
But then paper 2 was so so so easy that they'll just raise the cutoff again.

tku336

HSC
Dude, read what I said about criteria and bands and percenages. HSC bands are about the standards you perform to, not about how easy you personally found the exam.Oh and clintmyster your 93/105 would have been 4-5th out of 182 at grammar. Unless you're getting majorly overmarked, that's pretty damn good. At our school, thats about a 96-97 HSC.

boxhunter91

HSC
Dude, read what I said about criteria and bands and percenages. HSC bands are about the standards you perform to, not about how easy you personally found the exam.Oh and clintmyster your 93/105 would have been 4-5th out of 182 at grammar. Unless you're getting majorly overmarked, that's pretty damn good. At our school, thats about a 96-97 HSC.
Guys what about band 5 cut off?
Around 75/105?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
It's about the standards that the judges believe equates to a 90. Hence, if the test is considered easy by the judges (and they do look at how the cohort went), the cutoff will be raised. If there were discrepancies because of a particularly hard question (such as section 3 of paper 1), then the cutoff will be lowered.
Please, learn what you are talking about. Band 5 cutoff is usually less than 10 marks below band 6 cutoff (don't quote me on that though). So if band 6 is 85, band 5 is high 70s.

tku336

HSC
An essay can never be intristically easy nor hard. It can only be specific (as it was in hamlet) or broad (as it was in history and memory). They did a mix of both. The BOS does not try to set easy or hard questions. They try to set fair questions that they think most people could answer to a reasonable extent. None of the quesitons were obscenely specific ("To what extent do you believe the Soliloquy in Act Three demonstrate's Shakespeare's focus on performance") nor were they extremely broad ("History and memory. Discuss")

HSC
Uhm how does anyone know this? No one ever gets to see their raw marks from an examination so what is this all based on?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
An essay can never be intristically easy nor hard. It can only be specific (as it was in hamlet) or broad (as it was in history and memory). They did a mix of both. The BOS does not try to set easy or hard questions. They try to set fair questions that they think most people could answer to a reasonable extent. None of the quesitons were obscenely specific ("To what extent do you believe the Soliloquy in Act Three demonstrate's Shakespeare's focus on performance") nor were they extremely broad ("History and memory. Discuss")
Taken from the Board of Studies site regarding the Studies of Religion exam.
If the exam responses show there was an unexpected challenge in the paper this year, the marking process is designed to handle it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
No but the Board can implement exams which may be interpreted difficult or easy and that will determine the performance of the cohort as a whole. For example, in the past, the Board would've specified a Text type (such as a Feature Article) and regardless of the fact that Board set it to be difficult or not, a lot of candidates in the state would've struggled to adapt the appropriate form and hence their marks wouldn't have been as up to scratch - therefore that year would be considered more difficult than lets say ours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)