Rank vs internal mark (1 Viewer)

SkyHighFly

HSC
Anyone have any stories/experiences of ones internal hsc mark being quite surprising considering their rank?

Last edited:

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Generally it is expected you perform much better in the HSC then you do internally. One of the factors is completely finishing the subject and knowing exactly what can show up. Another being a whole month to prepare. Ranks shouldn't affect what you get in the HSC since it's an even playing field. Mind you others might have to study harder to achieve the same mark as you but it just really comes down to what you want to achieve and how willing you are to go that extra mile to improve in the HSC.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of stories/experiences, I was ranked 36/146 for Mathematics back when I did my HSC with an average in the low 70's. Based on this, I was expecting an Assessment Mark in that region. However, it seemed like my cohort performed at a higher standard in the HSC exam, allowing me to receive an 83 as my Assessment Mark. :)

specificagent1

HSC
Generally it is expected you perform much better in the HSC then you do internally. One of the factors is completely finishing the subject and knowing exactly what can show up. Another being a whole month to prepare. Ranks shouldn't affect what you get in the HSC since it's an even playing field. Mind you others might have to study harder to achieve the same mark as you but it just really comes down to what you want to achieve and how willing you are to go that extra mile to improve in the HSC.
Is this also because internal marks are raw while the external mark you get is aligned and your internal moderated marks are also aligned ?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I did. I was in standard english and was ranked about 12th which basically means your getting a really low mark as the band 6 rate for Standard English is already like < 1% and I was at a school ranked in the 200s-300s. I had failed a task and gotten 60s in every other task but my final mark for both internals and external was in the mid to high 80s.

Just a disclaimer though my schools English marking was extremely harsh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)