Question (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
Hey guys,
So my math teacher told me in our first assessment I was about 20% ahead of 2nd place (not including the 4u kids, since they’re going to drop 2u anyway).

If this continues in the HSC, where I maintain my marks and my classmates consistently score that much lower, would I be considered an outlier to my class, or would I be dragged down? How exactly does it work?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
So my math teacher told me in our first assessment I was about 20% ahead of 2nd place (not including the 4u kids, since they’re going to drop 2u anyway).

If this continues in the HSC, where I maintain my marks and my classmates consistently score that much lower, would I be considered an outlier to my class, or would I be dragged down? How exactly does it work?
If you rank 1st in the assessments overall and 1st in the HSC exam for your school, no one else will affect your mark.

may22

HSC
If you rank 1st in the assessments overall and 1st in the HSC exam for your school, no one else will affect your mark.

Awesome, thank you!
Was just a little concerned since the gap was so big 😬

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Consider the moderation process that NESA uses, which is what ranks fall under. It is the process used to determine your Assessment Mark, which contributes 50% of your HSC mark (final mark) in a particular subject. The moderation process adjusts students' Assessment Marks so that they can be fairly compared across the state. This adjustment is done using 2 elements:
  • a student's rank relative to their cohort in a particular subject - in your case, you are currently ranked first.
  • The Examination Marks achieved by the student's cohort in a particular subject. The Examination Mark is the mark you receive on your HSC exam in a particular subject, which contributes the remaining 50% of your HSC mark in that subject.
Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in a school cohort. This means that if you maintain your current rank after all your school-based assessment tasks/exams are completed, this will apply to you.

Your performance in the HSC exam (leading to your own Examination Mark), however, is not dependent on factors such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank, but on your own performance.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)