Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
no more english ever:)
it wasn't as bad as our trials. pretty ok actually

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
Yeah it was definitely process more important than destination just look at the commas.

How many found texts did everyone use?

I always use 2 found texts, the booklet text and my prescribed text but i think i may have not done enough on the booklet text.

Has anyone else been told u should spend 50% of all time on your prescribed text? I was told that, so that's what I did.

Any responses?

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
The Nick said:
Board of Studies bureaucracy strikes again!

Instead of asking a good question, they opt for the "We don't even know what this means so it must be good" choice. Either you discuss the statement, or you talk about technique. You can't write a good essay on the statement (which invokes metacognitive debate) yet write a good one on techniques.

And as the arrival is part of the journey, doeesn't that defeat the point of the statement?
Oh come on of course you can talk about techniques. You ALWAYS have to talk about techniques in everything u do in area of study so you instantly should know to do them concurrently and if you choose texts that fit, e.g. road not taken, the ivory trail then it's really quite simple.
And no, just because the arrival is part of the journey i think you're being a smartass in saying that it defeats the purpose. Obviously my toe is part of my foot but what matters most..? I think id rather have the toe. Get my point?
It was an easy question and you are in the 0.05% of people who feel the need to whinge about everything...
That is all.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
fwuxed said:
Let me tell you all a great story.

There was this guy... I'll leave him anonymous... who told me that section III was supposed to be a feature article. Now, despite us practicing for a full 3 terms on writing essays, he SOMEHOW managed to convince himself that the last section was a feature article.

Wait, there's more.

He then says, "If you wrote an essay, you're screwed."

Just for those of you who didn't do too well today. You can always say, there's some dude more fucked than you are.
That's priceless.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You know, the nature of the exam question let's you go against what you're supposed to look for in your additional texts.
If you argued that in your additional texts, unlike your prescribed texts, it is arrival at the destination that matter, because the growth occurs at the end, and not during the journey, the examiner would still be forced to give you marks if you argued it well.

Take "Legally Blonde" (should be underlined but I don't know the code for it) for example. A candidate can say:

"In the film, "Legally Blonde", unlike Peter Screwznecki's poems, it is the arrival at Harvard that matters. During the journey, nothing happens, no understanding is gained, no obstacles are encountered, and there are no challenges. For the duration of the journey, there is no personal growth, no enlightenment, nothing, zip. However, growth does occur at the destination, and that's what makes this text so appropriate for use in this module."

Even better:
"In my additional text, "Charlie's Angels" (shit movie), it is neither the journey, or the arrival, that matters. It is the inception of the journey that matters! At the beginning, the women blah blah... and the rest of the movie is polished turd unworthy of mention."

ha.

Last edited:

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope.
I did Saving Private Ryan.

My English teacher warned those students who did Legally Blonde that there isn't much of a physical journey in it, and all the growth and crap occurs at the end. The nature of the exam question lets you argue against the inherent requirements of journeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)