Question 19 - Apollo 13/Newton in the Driver's Seat (1 Viewer)

Xenocide

HSC
ok, it doesn't matter too much to me this point but just one last point for clarification.

After the burn was completed (read: the slingshot maneuvre was over) Jim Lovell said "We just put Isaac Newton is in the drivers seat" (or "Now Isaac Newton's in the drivers' seat"). So Isaac Newton sat down, after the slingshot maneuvre :p

Abtari

HSC
pravski said:
newton in drivers seat because he went in a straight line from earth to moon, i.e. first law.

No friction and weak gravity, therefore travels in straight line and it reached earth so you know that the law was obeyed

you dont need escape velocity etc
i agree with the fact that this q has nothing to do with escape velocity..

but with newton's first law, how the hell does the rocket go in a straight line?

tabularasa

HSC
does it really matter that we put escape velocity if its wrong surely well i know i did did about other stuff as welll. ANd if u were supposed to put escape velocity in there than we get it. I don;t think that tey'll say OMG they put escape velocity in therefore a 0.

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
i said that the slingshot effect behaves a perfectly ellastic contact-free collision, obeying th newtons law thingo... lol you know, equal and opposite reactions blah blah..... i thought it was a ridiculous question and the whole paper was very englishy and just shit in general.

steamroller60

Yay for no school
HSC
i just said that newton was in the drivers seat cos he thought up escape velocity and the slingshot effect.

powerhouse

HSC
I wrote about Newton's idea about projectile motion and orbiting bodies (because the question said the craft was in a lunar orbit) and that any extra thrust would propel the craft out of the orbit similar to escape velocity.

Captain Karl

HSC
I took it to mean after the slingshot effect, so mainly based my answer on the laws of gravity. Thinking about it now to get full marks (wasnt it worth 3 or 4?) they probably expect something on escape velocity/slingshot effect. I'm agreeing with Xenocide and Abtari on this one but

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I said at the end that it wasn't justified 'cause Newton wasn't the only scientist to contribute to the space travel

Husayn

Banned
HSC
Ofcourse it was justifed...

Orbital/Escape velocity = Newton

Newtons 1st/3rd Law = Newton

And that's practically all that was used (without counting re-entry). But I don't think there is a "law" for re-entry attributed to anyone, or atleast I've never heard of it.

Abtari

HSC
Oso said:
I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I said at the end that it wasn't justified 'cause Newton wasn't the only scientist to contribute to the space travel
the question wasn't about some general 'space travel' scenario. The description of the scenario at the start of the question specifically narrowed it down to something applicable to just Newton. It is justified, in that sense - my opinion.

and no, re-entry has nothing to do with newton, per se. if you look at the syllabus, the space module, focus idea 3, you will notice that the slingshot effect has been included with newton's law of gravitation and everything to do with gravitation...this also hints to the answer being something along those lines i think

peabeau

yeah question was shithouse. i tried to attack it mathematically relating newtons law of gravity to keplers law of periods or some shit. Preety sure i stuffed it though

HSC
Captain Karl said:
I took it to mean after the slingshot effect, so mainly based my answer on the laws of gravity. Thinking about it now to get full marks (wasnt it worth 3 or 4?) they probably expect something on escape velocity/slingshot effect. I'm agreeing with Xenocide and Abtari on this one but
yup me too, I got it by the slingshot effect, the chucked in the law of universal gravitation. I wasn't clear on escape velocity, but sorta tried to link it back to the scenario. ok i guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)