Q 16 to 24 (1 Viewer)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
16. From nearest to furthest, the four satellite moons of Jupiter first observed by Galileo in the year 1610 are called Io, Europa, Granymede and Callisto. For the first three moons, the orbital period T of each is exactly twice the period of the one orbitting immediately inside it. That is, T_Europa = 2xT_Io, T_granymede = 2xT_Europa.

The mass of Jupiter is 1.90x10^27kg and the orbital radius of Io is 421600 Km

a. Use Kepler's Law of periods to Calculate Ganymede's orbital radius 2MARKS
b. Calculate Ganymede's orbital speed.

Einstien's 1905 theory of special relativity made several predictions that could not be verified for many years.

a, state one such prediction 1 MARK
b. describe an experiment to test this prediction 2MARKS
c. Explain how technological advances since 1905 have made it possibe to carry out this experiment

The idea of a universal aether was first proposed to explain the transmission of light through space. Michaelson and moreley attempted to measure the speed of Earth trhough the aether.
Evajualte the impace of the result of the michelson and morely experiment on scientific thinking 4MARKS

In 1970 NASA launched Apollo 13, their third mission planned to land humans on the moon. Half way to the moon a huge explosion crippled the spacecraft. The only wayhome for the astronaut was to fly around the back of the moon and then fire the rocket engine to takt eh craft out of lunar orbit and put it ino an earth bound trajectory. At the completion of the rocket engine burn, mission leader jim lovell washeard to say "we just put isaac newton in the driver's seat"
Given that the spacecraft returned safely to the Earth, justify Jim Lovell's statement.
4MARKS

20. In your corurse you had to gather information to explain how inductin is used in certain applications. With erference to TWO applications, describe how you assessed the reliability of information you found. 6 MARKS

21, Two thin metal tubes one metre long were supported in a vertical wooden rack as shown in the diagram (if u had the sheet haha)

the two ends were connected together, then the other two ends were connected preifly to a car battery as shown in the diagram. It was observed that one of the tubes jumped upwards as the connection was made.
a. explain why only one tube jumped upwards 2 MARKS

b. Each tube has a mass of 1x10^-2 kg and the tube lie on the rack 10cm apart. What minimum current flows when one tube jumps? 3 MARKS

c. what is the implication of this result for power distribution netwrks? 1 MARK

A schematic diagram of a system to supply electricity to a house is shown below

Powerplant ----> step-up transformer --> high voltage tranmission line --> step-down transformer (11000 V) (substation) --> step down transformer 240V

The step down transformer in the substation has a turn ratio of 30:1

a. What is the votlage carried by the high voltage tranimission line. 1 MARK

b. Identify the causes of the two main energy losses in the tranmission of electricity between the power plant and the house. 2 MARKS

c explain how the application of superconductivity could minimize energy loss in a system 2 MARKS.

Q23. Explain how an understanding of black body radiation changed the direction of scientific thinking in the early twentieth century. 3 MARKS.

Q24. Using Labelled diagrams and text, explain how superconductivity occurs according to the BCS theory. 4 MARKS

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Stefano said:
I hope you aren't expecting solutions.. :p

22. a) 330,000 V
no its just no one actually has Q16-27 but 25-27 were too long so i typed 16-24

Haku

Stefano said:
I hope you aren't expecting solutions.. :p

22. a) 330,000 V
is that right? i didn;t remember it. wasn;t even in the syllabus.

but i guess 22 000V

Abtari

HSC
for that assess reliability question, it merely stated with reference to two applications,...(2 marks btw), explain how u assessed reliability.

the statement they gave u before the question also hinted towards the fact that the major component of the 6 marks. i.e. 4 marks was towards explaining how u assessed reliability, so there was no need to talk about how induction cooktops or electromagnetic braking actually worked, per se, you just had to mention them (a way of showing that u had fulfilled course outcomes and know ur stuff) and assess the crap. i mean its not wrong to talk about the two applns specifically, but it just means u have less space to talk about the focus of the question..:p

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
nosadness said:
is that right? i didn;t remember it. wasn;t even in the syllabus.

but i guess 22 000V
You were given the voltage after the substation(11,000 V), and the ratio of primary to secondary coils in the substation (30:1). So it's 11,000 * 30 = 330,000 V.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Abtari said:
for that assess reliability question, it merely stated with reference to two applications,...(2 marks btw), explain how u assessed reliability.

the statement they gave u before the question also hinted towards the fact that the major component of the 6 marks. i.e. 4 marks was towards explaining how u assessed reliability, so there was no need to talk about how induction cooktops or electromagnetic braking actually worked, per se, you just had to mention them (a way of showing that u had fulfilled course outcomes and know ur stuff) and assess the crap. i mean its not wrong to talk about the two applns specifically, but it just means u have less space to talk about the focus of the question..:p
hey, how should we have assessed it?

i said that i gathered a few sources of information (some books and some internet) and i compared them against each and used my previous knowledge other to determine their integrity.

and then i talked about how they work.... SUPER RAN OUT OF SPACE

ying123123

haboozin said:
16. From nearest to furthest, the four satellite moons of Jupiter first observed by Galileo in the year 1610 are called Io, Europa, Granymede and Callisto. For the first three moons, the orbital period T of each is exactly twice the period of the one orbitting immediately inside it. That is, T_Europa = 2xT_Io, T_granymede = 2xT_Europa.

The mass of Jupiter is 1.90x10^27kg and the orbital radius of Io is 421600 Km

a. Use Kepler's Law of periods to Calculate Ganymede's orbital radius 2MARKS
b. Calculate Ganymede's orbital speed.

Einstien's 1905 theory of special relativity made several predictions that could not be verified for many years.

a, state one such prediction 1 MARK
b. describe an experiment to test this prediction 2MARKS
c. Explain how technological advances since 1905 have made it possibe to carry out this experiment

The idea of a universal aether was first proposed to explain the transmission of light through space. Michaelson and moreley attempted to measure the speed of Earth trhough the aether.
Evajualte the impace of the result of the michelson and morely experiment on scientific thinking 4MARKS

In 1970 NASA launched Apollo 13, their third mission planned to land humans on the moon. Half way to the moon a huge explosion crippled the spacecraft. The only wayhome for the astronaut was to fly around the back of the moon and then fire the rocket engine to takt eh craft out of lunar orbit and put it ino an earth bound trajectory. At the completion of the rocket engine burn, mission leader jim lovell washeard to say "we just put isaac newton in the driver's seat"
Given that the spacecraft returned safely to the Earth, justify Jim Lovell's statement.
4MARKS

20. In your corurse you had to gather information to explain how inductin is used in certain applications. With erference to TWO applications, describe how you assessed the reliability of information you found. 6 MARKS

21, Two thin metal tubes one metre long were supported in a vertical wooden rack as shown in the diagram (if u had the sheet haha)

the two ends were connected together, then the other two ends were connected preifly to a car battery as shown in the diagram. It was observed that one of the tubes jumped upwards as the connection was made.
a. explain why only one tube jumped upwards 2 MARKS

b. Each tube has a mass of 1x10^-2 kg and the tube lie on the rack 10cm apart. What minimum current flows when one tube jumps? 3 MARKS

c. what is the implication of this result for power distribution netwrks? 1 MARK

A schematic diagram of a system to supply electricity to a house is shown below

Powerplant ----> step-up transformer --> high voltage tranmission line --> step-down transformer (11000 V) (substation) --> step down transformer 240V

The step down transformer in the substation has a turn ratio of 30:1

a. What is the votlage carried by the high voltage tranimission line. 1 MARK

b. Identify the causes of the two main energy losses in the tranmission of electricity between the power plant and the house. 2 MARKS

c explain how the application of superconductivity could minimize energy loss in a system 2 MARKS.

Q23. Explain how an understanding of black body radiation changed the direction of scientific thinking in the early twentieth century. 3 MARKS.

Q24. Using Labelled diagrams and text, explain how superconductivity occurs according to the BCS theory. 4 MARKS

how the fuk u memorise this shit
dont tell me u spent ur time wrting the question out and then left out the quesiton
lol

xiep

HSC
haboozin said:
hey, how should we have assessed it?

i said that i gathered a few sources of information (some books and some internet) and i compared them against each and used my previous knowledge other to determine their integrity.

and then i talked about how they work.... SUPER RAN OUT OF SPACE
Hmmm.... stress does funny things to ppl and it made me remember a science lesson in the remote past when we talked about the reliability of primary vs secondary sources. I basically said I had obtained info from the Net and since it's a secondary source it's not peer-assessed by scientists and so the stuff could be inaccurate. But this is the most fked up question ever!

Last edited:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ying123123 said:
how the fuk u memorise this shit
dont tell me u spent ur time wrting the question out and then left out the quesiton
lol
i didnt...

i have the booklets in my hand

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ying123123 said:
how did u get the blooket?

NOT ATTEMPTED.

haha jk i just found a set on the ground on my way out.
so i have a nice clean complete set.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
well its 32 MB... Q16-27 if someone can host it...

i can put it on my computer, but that woudl be super slow... 16KB/s ew.

Sahlia

HSC
Yuck!!!

That was the worst physics exam ever! It was crazy hard! I expected hard but not that hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)