Please help urgent (1 Viewer)

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
I am thinking of doing Advanced English because i think that Standard English iwll have a poor working environment?
DO you think this is a good reason to do advanced?

nevery

HSC
well if you're not very good at english then don't do advanced or your ATAR will get pulled down. better to do excellent in standard than crap in advanced. Some standard classses aren't too bad I suspect. Other would be terrible. But heaps of smart people do standard, as they may be crap at English but might be the maths and science nerds. So my answer is "no".

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
tbh I think any reason is a good reason to do advanced instead of standard.

forbidden01

HSC
tbh I think any reason is a good reason to do advanced instead of standard.
only if you think you can handle the workload and the pressure...in other words...only if you're alright at english...otherwise you'll struggle and probably fail :S

historyfreak

HSC
I think you need to consider what you want to do when you leave school as well. Does the course you want to do include English Advanced? Many of them do. If you don't know what you want to do then think about how you've gone in English in previous years and whether or not you enjoyed it, that is a big reason to pick something. Also a heads up, Standard don't do Shakespeare so if you don't like Shakespeare I would probably do Standard. There's nothing wrong with Standard, the choice should be about what you want to do. Also even if the working environment is not so good, if you want to do it you will study yourself and it will be your effort that gets you good marks, it just requires outside work. Good Luck deciding!

b0redAsian

HSC
i srsly regret not doing advanced, (despite me hating english with a passion) standard is pretty pointless...

NewiJapper

HSC
Do advanced in yr11 and if it's not your cup of tea, drop to standard. I mean, what have you got to lose? It's yr11 lol

kcqn93

HSC
omg LOL, this guy seriously can't decided between the two haha

look at his previous posts, they're all about Advanced and Standard lolol

sinophile3

HSC
Just choose it, the competition and pressure will drive you to work harder, and if you can't take it just drop down to standard and be better than all the standard kids.

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
So you people are saying that i should do advanced in yr11 and if i cant take it drop down in yr12. but while im doing advanced in yr11, if i get shitty marks and ranks in the class will that affect my ATAR?

nevery

HSC
So you people are saying that i should do advanced in yr11 and if i cant take it drop down in yr12.
<br />
yes
<br />
<br />
but while im doing advanced in yr11, if i get shitty marks and ranks in the class will that affect my ATAR?
<br />
no, marks-wise year 11 doesn't count. But remember that employers may look at your reports for year 11. Unless you are terrible at English, I'd say try advanced in year 11 and if you are bad at it then go to standard

20Ten

HSC
So you people are saying that i should do advanced in yr11 and if i cant take it drop down in yr12. but while im doing advanced in yr11, if i get shitty marks and ranks in the class will that affect my ATAR?
Year 11 doesn't have any affect on your ATAR at all.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
well if you're not very good at english then don't do advanced or your ATAR will get pulled down. better to do excellent in standard than crap in advanced. Some standard classses aren't too bad I suspect. Other would be terrible. But heaps of smart people do standard, as they may be crap at English but might be the maths and science nerds. So my answer is "no".
That depends on what you define to be "excellent" and "crap".

More often than not, average in advance beats near the top in standard.

As others have said, your year 11 marks/ranks do not affect your ATAR at all. And remember that you can drop down to standard, but you cannot jump up to advanced. So if you are unsure, just do advanced for year 11 at least.

I should also point out that the main difference between advanced and standard is the texts and the fact that advanced kids have to do one Shakespearean text.

nevery

HSC
That depends on what you define to be "excellent" and "crap".
<br />
<br />
More often than not, average in advance beats near the top in standard.
<br />
That's what I meant. Maybe 'excellent' was the wrong word to use.

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
but is i okay if im not excellent at essays, discussions, short stories.
im not saying im totally crap but im average at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)