PLEASE HELP! How do Majors/Minors work? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
I'm doing Music/Arts. My time table is completed an all, and Music seems to be fine. However, with arts, I want to major in History and minor in English. Originally, I put to enroll in both History and English but that (when combined with music) meant that my Max UoC per semester has been exceeded. So I took out English and it enrolled me fine. However, now I found out that the Introduction to English course is only offered in Semester 1!!!

It says need to complete 12 units of a minor in a year, so does that mean I just majorly stuffed my timetable up????

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm doing Music/Arts. My time table is completed an all, and Music seems to be fine. However, with arts, I want to major in History and minor in English. Originally, I put to enroll in both History and English but that (when combined with music) meant that my Max UoC per semester has been exceeded. So I took out English and it enrolled me fine. However, now I found out that the Introduction to English course is only offered in Semester 1!!!

It says need to complete 12 units of a minor in a year, so does that mean I just majorly stuffed my timetable up????
hey someone else doing english! nice.

Anyway, what subjects are you doing now? You'll have to plan it out.

ARTS1030 and ARTS1031 are the two Level I English courses you must complete, personally I'd get them out of the way as soon as possible - but I'm not sure how timetabling for your other subjects are going.

Also you can still change your timetable, so don't fret too much, I think. And 12 units of a minor in a year means two subjects, and I think you misread - I think it said that "Level I English as a minor is 12 uoc", maybe? If so, that just means you have to do Level I English before you do Level II subjects, ARTS2xxx.

Last edited:

Lina3

HSC
hey someone else doing english! nice.

Anyway, what subjects are you doing now? You'll have to plan it out.

ARTS1030 and ARTS1031 are the two Level I English courses you must complete, personally I'd get them out of the way as soon as possible - but I'm not sure how timetabling for your other subjects are going.

Also you can still change your timetable, so don't fret too much, I think. And 12 units of a minor in a year means two subjects, and I think you misread - I think it said that "Level I English as a minor is 12 uoc", maybe? If so, that just means you have to do Level I English before you do Level II subjects, ARTS2xxx.
Yes thank you, that actually makes sense. The reason I edited my previous post (before I saw yours, sorry) was because I found the sample timetable for Music/Arts...and it had the Minor stream starting in 3rd year. Would you say this is alright? Personally, I would like to start level 1 in first year but I do not know whether this will work without messing up the Music units.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes thank you, that actually makes sense. The reason I edited my previous post (before I saw yours, sorry) was because I found the sample timetable for Music/Arts...and it had the Minor stream starting in 3rd year. Would you say this is alright? Personally, I would like to start level 1 in first year but I do not know whether this will work without messing up the Music units.
Well, as long as all the degree requirements are fulfilled - then it doesn't matter. That's the uni perspective.

To get a fuller understanding of whether it'll stuff up, you need to plan ahead, something like this:

My current one is very different from that one, but it plans out nicely. This way, you can figure out if changing from the plan will take a hit - because I'm sure you'd like to have some variety, and an English course here and there now instead of all in 3rd or 4th year will probably be much more pleasant.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Don't have to delete as it may server as a future help to others.

And you can delete it if you want by yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)