Please.. begging for some guidance (1 Viewer)

boysenberryy

HSC
Hey all,
Really new to this so apologies if I post this incorrectly formatted or smth. Okay so, I completely failed adv maths the entire year getting around ~52% for all my exams. For my trials, I am getting less than 20% because I barely attempted anything. Maths has always been a core failure of mine. Would it still be possible to get a band 3..?

Additionally, I do 12 units and my averages for the other subject are:
Adv English: 80%
Chem: 70% or 60%
Business Stds: 90%
Geography: 85%
Spanish Beginners: 80%
I was planning to drop maths but it’s a prereq for so many uni courses, I dont know what to do.

dasfas

HSC
Maths is super important, so yeah, i'd recommend to keep it

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Keep Maths, it won't count since you already do 10 units. Just maximise strength on ur best 10!

quickoats

HSC
If maths is causing you a lot of stress which is taxing on your mental health, then it might be worthwhile to drop the subject. Judging by your other subjects, maths probably won't count for you so it won't matter too much anyway.

That being said, you're almost there, and giving the HSC exam a try won't hurt.

What degrees are you looking into? As far as I know, only Sydney Uni has maths as a prerequisite, so there might be suitable alternatives elsewhere.

vinlatte

HSC
Hey all,
Really new to this so apologies if I post this incorrectly formatted or smth. Okay so, I completely failed adv maths the entire year getting around ~52% for all my exams. For my trials, I am getting less than 20% because I barely attempted anything. Maths has always been a core failure of mine. Would it still be possible to get a band 3..?

Additionally, I do 12 units and my averages for the other subject are:
Adv English: 80%
Chem: 70% or 60%
Business Stds: 90%
Geography: 85%
Spanish Beginners: 80%
I was planning to drop maths but it’s a prereq for so many uni courses, I dont know what to do.
For most courses, maths is actually a recommended studies rather than a prerequisite. Though it is ideal to do maths (usually adv), you can always take bridging math courses at uni.

Last edited:

boysenberryy

HSC
Maths is super important, so yeah, i'd recommend to keep it
Keep Maths, it won't count since you already do 10 units. Just maximise strength on ur best 10!
If maths is causing you a lot of stress which is taxing on your mental health, then it might be worthwhile to drop the subject. Judging by your other subjects, maths probably won't count for you so it won't matter too much anyway.

That being said, you're almost there, and giving the HSC exam a try won't hurt.

What degrees are you looking into? As far as I know, only Sydney Uni has maths as a prerequisite, so there might be suitable alternatives elsewhere.
For most courses, maths is actually a recommended studies rather than a prerequisite. Though it is ideal to do maths (usually adv), you can always take bridging math courses at uni.
Thank you all for your reply! I really appreciate your insight. I have decided to keep mathematics. It isn't too much stress now that I realised that it will not be counted into my ATAR. I will try to do better in all my trials/ HSC exams. Thank you again! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)