Pharmacy, Medical Science and Forensic Biotechnology 2010 (1 Viewer)

Dombrovski

HSC
Well now that I've done them, I thought I may as well post some hints for the two other subjects which are common between the three courses:

Foundations (and Techniques) in Biochemistry =
BCM211 (Pharm)
BCM210 (MedSc/Biotech)

Key Subject for Med Science people. :cry:

The main difference between these is that BCM210 has a prac component (which is where the "and techniques" bit comes in) and BCM211 has an assignment component, but the actual lectures are the same.

The subject itself is not really *that* hard, but there is a lot of content, so if you aren't up to date with study etc, you will find it very hard to catch up at the end of the subject when you are studying for exams.

The ESE is based on metabolism stuff, which is the latter half of the subject. The interactions between a lot of the systems is very hard to explain word for word however, a picture paints a thousand words.
Wagga people, you will have Jade... he is an absolutely amazing lecturer and he makes the subject work so smoothly and so well. You don't want to miss his lectures! OR HIS REVIEW LECTURES!!!!! :cool:

For the BCM210-ers, it is a good idea to have a read of the pre-prac talks beforehand if they are up. Also, when you have your prac exam, make sure you have made note of the stuff in the prac powerpoints that is not in your book.
You get your prac book in the exam, and you can write notes galore in it if you want, however, you can only have what is physically written in your book. You cannot staple notes etc into it.

Every two weeks (or whatever) you should have MCQ minitests which are worth 5% of the subject. They aren't that difficult as you will only cover two topics per minitest, so they are a good way to get your marks up if you tend to bomb out in exams!!

In general......
Use Diagrams!!!
Study from/with Diagrams!!!
Use Diagrams!!!

Human Molecular Genetics... BMS240

Key Subject for Med Science people. :cry:

Genetics seems like a breeze but it isn't. A lot of people had trouble with genetics because genetics questions tend to annoying and wordy. Similar to BCM210/211, you will have 5% minitests every now and then. In contrast however, these cover three topics per test and are more spaced out. A lot of people had difficulty with this part.

There was an assignment when I did the subject. The assignment brought a lot of people back up to the pass bracket.

ESE also covers the latter of the subject. Be warned. Be afraid.
They may seem a breeze when you do them, but the replication/transcription/translation/biotechnology topics have a hell of a lot of detail in them, and you are expected to know them.

Replication is ~15 steps
Transciption is ~20 steps
Translation in limited detail is ~25-30 steps. ((Med Sci/Biotechers apparently get something like 6 hours of lectures on translation in BMS241; Molecular Cell Biology) Woo.)

and you need to know them for both prokaryotes and eukaryotes. On the plus side, they are similar. I learnt them more as prokaryotes and then chucked in the differences when compared to eukaryotes.

Don't let genetics catch you off balance or it will kill you... I spent the preparation for that exam at home pretty much curled in a ball of panic.

Coz I'm cool of course :shy:

Enjoy! :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)