Paradigms anyone? (1 Viewer)

deepalurie

HSC
can someone please explain paradigms to me? im so confused >< especially philosophical paradigm

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A paradigm is basically a way of thinking or action. It can be a model or show patterns in a particular concept.

E.g. The globalisation paradigm is essentially how it operates and what drives it.

centuriancode

In a dystopic vision of the apocalypse called the
HSC
Another way to think of paradigms is as perspectives, though it goes a little deeper than that. A person's paradigm is the way they approach the world and it covers how they think, how they perceive events, and what options they feel are available to them in responding to those events.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
a paradigm can cover a broad movement of thought in regards to philosophy, e.g. humanist/deist paradigm of the renaissance or pragmatic/empiric paradigm of the enlightenment (british, of course), etc.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
another commonly used way of describing the concept of a paradigm is 'utter bullshit'

well, at least was in my class.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
very true, and i think the multiple definitions in this thread validates that alex leon

nikilily

HSC
paradigms are one of those concepts which are hard to define precisely, but as many people have stated, its based on our perspectives and understanding, for example, in the western world lots of people see prostitution as disgusting and low, however in a location such as some parts of poverty stricken Africa, prostitution is a source of money and livelihood. Not the best example I know but hope it helps you to understand!

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
paradigms are one of those concepts which are hard to define precisely, but as many people have stated, its based on our perspectives and understanding, for example, in the western world lots of people see prostitution as disgusting and low, however in a location such as some parts of poverty stricken Africa, prostitution is a source of money and livelihood. Not the best example I know but hope it helps you to understand!
hard for you to define precisely

you are talking about societal values and attitudes
ahaha

Aplus

HSC
N/A
A paradigm is a way of thinking which arises as a response to the context of the individual. Paradigms can be categorised through the type of response they invoke: philosophical, economical, religious, etc.

Texts can be read to exhibit paradigms to demonstrate and display the attitudes and values of the context of the composers who constructed them.

An example of a philosophical paradigm, from Module B: After the Bomb (the elective I studied), would be the rise of existentialism as a response to the void left by the lack of relevance which religion held in a Post World War II. Jean-Paul Sarte, in Existentialism is a Humanism, proposed the notion that existence precedes essence.

From the example I have provided above, you can see that the philosophical paradigm, could be classified as an existential response, which arises due to the context of Post World War II.

Last edited:

Monsterman

HSC
paradigms are values and ways of thinking.. thats my definition..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)