Option 2 - Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservations (1 Viewer)

rumour

HSC
grimreaper said:
yeah I was lucky I studied that recently. I know alot of people that had no idea for that
Like me for example!!!

I only wrote about one page, I had no idea what it was about & after learning all the artefact cleaning processes this morning :(

Also what did everyone do for the electrolytic cell?

mathock

HSC
stevenwong86 said:
For the electrolytic cell, i put the oxidation and reduction of water.
is that the one with platinum and KBr?? im confused, all the questions have moulded into one big, ugly nightmare in my head

Gesus

HSC
stevenwong86 said:
For the electrolytic cell, i put the oxidation and reduction of water.
I put reduction of water and oxidation of Br-.

smelly said:
what are u supposed to write for 4 marks on faraday...insane...
I reckon, of all of them he was my worst one :p, i blame the macquarie book they didnt go in enough detail :p

persephone

HSC
i hate shipwrecks so i did this bit straight after multiple choice. pulled the history of shipbuilding out of my ass. it was okay...really didn't understand the wrecked ships thing...u know the last one. but is over. can't dwell on it - till i get it back that is

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Gesus said:
not much BS from me, and i still wrote 2 pages :p basically, it said 'increasing knowledge' i so talked about the evolution of ships, first, 17th cent lead sheeting and metal was only for fittings etc, then copper, too expensive, then brass( or bronze :S) , fittings needed to be caulked, then iron was used as world trade grew, had to be dry dockedto remove rust and barnacles, then moved to light steel ships, and how they add impurities, chrom, manganese, nickel, titantium, bleh blah. and at the end i came back and talked about how it allowed world trade :p

pretty much what the macquarie book says :p
dude u probably got those 7 marks..
i was all like "ships made of timber were found dating back to 3000 B.C... blah blah"
then i just talked abt iron and steel... and the diff metals u add to them these days
like chromium to alter their properties..
i was very historical i think.. im a history person..went on abt the titanic having phosphorus and sulfur, and the british ship vulcan from 1818
yes ... basically just useless facts..
hoping to scrape some marks tho hehe.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
lol, I only learnt half of shipwrecks and that half was in the test ^^

Jezzabelle

ok. please someone out there tell me they dont think they'll get many marks for the first part of the Question, the first page... cos i umm.. only just realised when i was scanning them in... that there were two pages... i'm screwed arent i?!

stevenwong86

argh, dont tell me I got that simple question wrong! :(

I thought that the oxidation potential of water was -0.4, whole the oxidation potential of Br- was -1.08. So since the water had a higher ox. potential, it would oxidise first.

What did everybody else get?

ducksitter

The partially submerged ship had a higher temperature and oxygen concentration and as such corroded faster is the long and the short of it...
oh dear... I said the complet opposite..... I'm worried :eek:

rumour

HSC
stevenwong86 said:
argh, dont tell me I got that simple question wrong! :(

I thought that the oxidation potential of water was -0.4, whole the oxidation potential of Br- was -1.08. So since the water had a higher ox. potential, it would oxidise first.

What did everybody else get?
1.) Wrong water eqn

2.)Electrolytic cells are the opposite of galvanic cells, so the anode & cathode are reversed!!!

mathock

HSC
who agrees that it was just a really shitty test, the shipwrecks option was just crazy, i was expecting a big 7 marker to finish with, but instead we get one in 3 parts and a diagram... and the other 7 marker was about history of ships...wtf??

euphoric

HSC
hmmz i lost SIX marks because of question B.
but the rest were ummz. alot of bull shiting

exactly what did Faraday do? coz im still clueless.
and 1/2 equation?? what did you pplz put???

rumour

HSC
mathock said:
who agrees that it was just a really shitty test, the shipwrecks option was just crazy, i was expecting a big 7 marker to finish with, but instead we get one in 3 parts and a diagram... and the other 7 marker was about history of ships...wtf??
Yeah it was a shit option!!!!

& which part of the syllabus was that 7 mark question from?

stevenwong86

rumour said:
1.) Wrong water eqn

2.)Electrolytic cells are the opposite of galvanic cells, so the anode & cathode are reversed!!!
yeah, but in both cells, oxidation still occurs at the anode and reduction at the cathode.

and for the oxidation, I used the:

2OH- -> 1/2O2 + H2O +2e-

added 2H+ to both sides to get:

H2O -> 1/2O2 + 2H+ + 2e-

ChiCkenDrUmStIc

Kazuya said:
yeah for the 7 mark one i talked about all that protection stuff too, that was after about half a page - a page about the history of shipbuilding. I should've done more on the history, I think that's what they're looking for.

i was very glad they had nothing on cleaning/restoration or electrolytic reduction/cleaning and all that stuff. And not even anything on sulfate-reducing bacteria which was strange

I wanted there to be stuff on sulfate-reducing bacteria i studied that heaps. oh well i hated the chemical tests i didnt study them much. What did people get for the way to detect chloride ions, i hope i got that right??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)