Option 1 - Industrial Chemistry (1 Viewer)

ben7

I did no emulstion experiment in class but just said we tryed and observed mayonase - emulsion of oil in water. The properties such as aesthetics, structure and taste is wat made it suitable as a food.

not much of i idea really.

Last edited:

cheers_big_ears

mmmm..
i see...
well...
ahhh...

nope no answer sorry

i did the red wine vinegarette one which i remember doing cause it was boring

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
The Bograt said:
But does it count as a 'named emulsion'
I wanted to call it Bobby or something so it had a name...
Hahaha, that reminds me of some of my lady-friends trying to name cars:
"Hey, lets try to name all the cars we see!"
"Ok, I name that one Bob."
And I love your pic hehehe :D

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate this question. (EDIT: map one)
Had no idea what each process was. I said something about ammonia for Sodium Chloride, think it's wrong. Said being near a power plant meant acid rain that's bad for business. Sell the excess calcium chloride to people in the city, if it snows. And being near the city means you can sell your sodium shit as bulk, to whoever dipshit wants bulk sodium carbonate/chloride. This question killed me.

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
Here are the test paper.

the questions are generally all right, i've nailed the 7 marks one.

sub

nicko04 said:
yeah mine was nothing like that
oh well.. so far im on 96
with more to come off too
lol same here....i dont wanna post mortem anymore in case i lose more...

Ditfos

HSC
N/A
The emulsion our class did was making mayonaisse. I remember it well coz me and my partner rocked everybody else...you have an egg, add a bit of salt, vinegar, then slowly add 100ml of canola oil...nobody else had the patience to do it properly, it was this liquid but ours was like real mayonaisse, which is cool. Didn't eat it though, because
1. I hate mayonnaise
2. I don't trust lab equipment to be quite hygienic enough.

The 7-marker I ripped into IMO, spent time going through the pros and cons of each site, it's about 2 1/2 pages of small-average writing.
As for the environmental effects of the detergents, well I have little to no idea but here's what I said:
Anionic: Sulfonate head will readily form sulfurous/sulfuric acid = bad for various reasons etc.
Non-ionic: is a hydrocarbon, which are prevalent, so will have little impact
Cationic: Nitrogen = nutrient --> eutrophication etc.

matt_n86

HSC
2 and a half???

damnn....

i think i wrote too much then....

i wrote about 4 pages all up, and my writing isn't that large...

Also i had no idea for the stuff about the synthetic detergents.... hmmm

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I said site A for both..... it really depends on the scale of the map. If it was a small scale, putting C closer to the coast, then obviously it is a better on for solvay, but i figured it wasn't for some reason, and that a low pollution solvay process might be ok. The rail line sort of catered for transporting the limestone, and near the city was salt water, which is cheaper than importing salt and making your own. The membrane process is pretty clean, so its not so bad to have near a city, and you get a nearby workforce and export market. The problem with B for Solvay was lack of salt water and waste dumping options - you can't dump brine onto the land or into the river cos of the town downstream, and ditto CaCl2. Those're my thoughts anyway, it was an interesting question cos it was essentially a test of how much BS you could spin.

Can anyone tell me what the the main differences between industrial and lab soap making were? i had no idea...

Gurvansh

HSC
Techie said:
You were meant to make another emulsion too. I think we did an experiment to make cold cream (moisturiser-ish thing) but I couldn't remember how we did it, so I made up some stuff about researching mayonnaise.

i really don't think i did that experiment...stupid school!!!! oh well

would that be the same as making butter????

Scanorama

HSC
My class didnt do the emulsion prac either. When I read the question I was like 'What the fuck?'

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mervvyn said:
Can anyone tell me what the the main differences between industrial and lab soap making were? i had no idea...
Lab: beaker, castor oil, water bath.

Industry: vats, animal fat, steam injector, perfume and colouring.

chocobo

y0y0
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
My class didnt do the emulsion prac either. When I read the question I was like 'What the fuck?'
yea at first i was like what the....?..

we got a test tube put oil water and a few drops of detergent and agentated it....watched it and thats it!

sub

is that a named emulsion? i think u was meant to use mayo or hand cream or sum such...

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah. It's called the water-oil emulsion. Sounds good enough for me, though I didn't name it in my answer. Damn.

mojako

HSC
mervvyn said:
I said site A for both..... it really depends on the scale of the map. If it was a small scale, putting C closer to the coast, then obviously it is a better on for solvay, but i figured it wasn't for some reason, and that a low pollution solvay process might be ok. The rail line sort of catered for transporting the limestone, and near the city was salt water, which is cheaper than importing salt and making your own. The membrane process is pretty clean, so its not so bad to have near a city, and you get a nearby workforce and export market. The problem with B for Solvay was lack of salt water and waste dumping options - you can't dump brine onto the land or into the river cos of the town downstream, and ditto CaCl2. Those're my thoughts anyway, it was an interesting question cos it was essentially a test of how much BS you could spin.

I had site B for the NaOH.
the main reason being it's near power station (because it uses current of tens of thousands amperes and there's huge energy lost in transmission).
I know there are some disadvantages of site B but I just kept saying that the energy-saving simply compensates for things like extra transport costs to the market - doesn't look convincing but anyway I said that.
I also said that you can get cheaper labour in rural areas than in city.

jude_ess

i thought it was pretty good overall. i was so glad we didn't have to regurgitate all those solvay equations or i wouldve just about died.

the only question which i didnt really get was the environmental impacts of the various type of detergents. in class we only really talked about their environmental impacts in general and not specific ones for each type.

as far as the emulsion prac we made mayonnaise and then tested its properties and related these to its use

F_W01

sub said:
is that a named emulsion? i think u was meant to use mayo or hand cream or sum such...
I thought that the emlusion thing was supposed to be like mayo or french dressing or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)