On the topic of University Transfers... (1 Viewer)

tilia

HSC
Hey,

Earlier in this thread, someone said that at UNSW, for commerce courses they consider the best out of your UAI and GPA.

I REALLY hope this is true because I want to switch from Science to Commerce, but my first year results are pretty dismal.

I'm not sure if it is still true though, because the earlier post was from a few years ago... does anyone have any clue?

My UAI (from 2007) is 96.8, and my GPA thing will be 5.00 at best for this year...if they consider both, I probably won't get in right? : (

Thanks guys

Morbo

HSC
One of my mates had a pretty dismal UAI but managed to get into B Design/B Art Education at COFA with only his first-year uni results. So my guess is that UNSW only takes the better of the two.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
tilia said:
Hey,

Earlier in this thread, someone said that at UNSW, for commerce courses they consider the best out of your UAI and GPA.

I REALLY hope this is true because I want to switch from Science to Commerce, but my first year results are pretty dismal.

I'm not sure if it is still true though, because the earlier post was from a few years ago... does anyone have any clue?

My UAI (from 2007) is 96.8, and my GPA thing will be 5.00 at best for this year...if they consider both, I probably won't get in right? : (

Thanks guys
One of my friend had a 75 WAM (after 1 full year) and got his transfer to Comm/Arts (from Arts) last year.

tilia

HSC
soopacow said:
One of my friend had a 75 WAM (after 1 full year) and got his transfer to Comm/Arts (from Arts) last year.
Hmm too bad mine will be around 55-60 haha

I emailed somebody at Faculty of Business @ UNSW

Even though my UAI is higher than what's required for entry, I need at least a credit WAM to transfer into commerce.

That seems unfair, considering I performed inadequately in a Science degree, not Commerce, and the reason I want to change is because Science is not suited to me at all.

Oh well.

I think I'll have to go to UWS...it seems to be the only uni that only considers what will give you the highest chance of getting in. Maybe after a year there I can transfer back to UNSW or UTS

pixiesparkle

HSC
hey guys,
just wondering does UNSW accept application for transfers mid-year? say if I want to apply after ive done 1year 1/2 at UNSW?
thankss

spence

HSC
pixiesparkle said:
hey guys,
just wondering does UNSW accept application for transfers mid-year? say if I want to apply after ive done 1year 1/2 at UNSW?
thankss
yeah i'm pretty sure they do, not for all courses though. i'm not sure which ones they do but i think arts, science and maybe some engineering ones?

BeyondDeath

HSC
soopacow said:
When we do the application, they ask for our previous UAC number (which is your HSC student number with a 1 in the front, or the same one you used for UAC last year for access to UAI). So I'm guessing that's where they dig up our UAI's? :wave:
Dammit, I left that part blank thinking its for people who got deferments. Now is there a way to edit it? I cant seem to find an edit option for that part of the application.

Roguey

HSC
I currently study at Macquarie and receive an equity scholarship. Would I still be eligible for this scholarship if I transferred to uSyd or unsw?

snowiie

snowy~~
HSC
Anyone can confirm if UNSW school of business still consider what's higher out of UAI/GPA? My uai is good but my GPA isn't very good so I'm not sure if I can get in B Eco/Arts or B Comm/Arts at UNSW...

Marina89

HSC
I have a question -
I'm doing my HSC this year, planning to do pharmacy eventually (I won't get the ATAR I need for Sydney Uni next year) Would it be easier for me to do medical science at another uni then transfer to pharmacy at syd, or do science at syd then transfer to pharmacy?? I'm thinking that there must be some sort of advantage of already being in the uni? Or is it more relevant to do medical science which is more related to the pharmacy degree.

Thanks =)

eb590

HSC
thankyou so much frigid!
this was the biggest help ever! especially with the maths which i suck at. your post made it a LOT clearer and I feel a lot more confident about transferring to a different uni for my law degree :sun:

super-shinobi

HSC
Did he have to apply through UAC? Since there's a new internal transfer program, would people apply through myUNSW now? Is it still true that you can only transfer to lower courses internally and you would have to apply through UAC for higher courses?

cs01001

HSC
Did he have to apply through UAC? Since there's a new internal transfer program, would people apply through myUNSW now? Is it still true that you can only transfer to lower courses internally and you would have to apply through UAC for higher courses?
To transfer to higher UAI courses, you have the option of:

1. Going through UAC. It charges $2x something and i think they count both UAI and GPA

OR

2. Do UNSW internal transfer. It's free, but looks at GPA only.

To drop half your degree, ie doing Comm/Engineering - > Engineering. You only need to fill out a form to drop the Comm component. But I think if you wanna transfer from say Commerce to Economics, you will still need the 70 WAM regardless of the UAI you got. I am not so sure about this one.

Otacon2009

HSC
I found out today UNSW has an exclusion policy for undergraduate transfers.

The reason for the delay is that way back in August when I applied for UNSW, I was under review as I failed 2/4 classes. I was excluded for about 12 hours. After that I applied through UAC and filled in the online work. Since then, I have recieved no correspondence from them, yet days after I sent applications to QTAC, they asked me for a statement and referees.

So should I be concerned about the lack of correspondence from UNSW or is it a good sign that they are only interested in the results of this semester? Same with VTAC. No mention of my exclusion, rather they found out I had two other qualifications (one was for TEP and the other was just Responsible Service of Alcohol license I obtained in mid 2008). So is it a good or a bad thing?

Last edited:

rahul-blade007

HSC
N/A
I have a question -

I'm doing mechanical engineering at uws first year. My gpa is 5.6 at the moment but my atar is 60.2 which is terrible. I would like to apply as a freshman at UNSW engineering next year. I emailed them and they said we take Uni results and Atar - 75:25 ratio, that means 75% uni results and 25% ATAR. The cut off for the course is 91.

I m also applying for SCATS application - disadvantaged in year 11 and 12.

So, do I have any chance of making it to unsw?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes

You should check if past years have had vacancies after UAC applications have finished. For example, Software has huge vacancies, so they accept far far below the cutoff. I had an ATAR of 82.30 and got into Software without any special considerarion, FEAS or bonus points.

rahul-blade007

HSC
N/A
Thanks man.

I don't think mechanical has huge vacancies. Last year there were few but then again my ATAR wasn't even remotely close. Your ATAR is descent. What do you think, do I have a good chance or slim chance?

And, if you take into account 5.6 gpa + 60 Atar. What is it equivalent too? Considering we're taking 75% uni results and 25% atar.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I have no idea what a GPA of 5.6 is, UNSW do WAM's. What average mark is that? Distinction, Pass, Credit?

If it's at a credit average, then yeah definitely. A mid-low pass, you might be in doubt if they didn't have vacancies.

Of course this is merely my opinion and doesn't necessarily mean anything

rahul-blade007

HSC
N/A
HD - 7
D - 6
C - 5
P - 4
F - 1-3

So, 5.6 is high credit average. But then again you have to take 25% of ATAR into account which will push me down.

I calculated my WAM - it's 73 which is credit average.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You might also want to investigate whether the STAT test might be of benefit to you. It will act to improve your ATAR ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)