NSW Premier resignation (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Gladys Berejiklian has resigned as New South Wales Premier amid a probe by the state’s anti-corruption watchdog.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) on Friday announced it would investigate Berejiklian for potentially breaching public trust regarding her relationship with former MP Daryl Maguire.

Thoughts? 🤔

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
Gladys Berejiklian has resigned as New South Wales Premier amid a probe by the state’s anti-corruption watchdog.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) on Friday announced it would investigate Berejiklian for potentially breaching public trust regarding her relationship with former MP Daryl Maguire.

Thoughts? 🤔
I don't admire everything she has done, but I do admire her response to the allegations. An appropriate move. Unsustainable to retain the premiership.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
A bit off topic but I mean to be fair to her everyone's been complaining about lockdown but no one actually knows how difficult it is to manage an entire state until you're in her position. A lot of naysayers and "could have should have would havers" but no one actually knows the consequence until after. If NSW never went back into lockdown who knows what our economy would have been like. As they always say "In hindsight everything is much clearer". I know her resignation wasn't specifically due to public criticism but it was likely to have been another factor that influenced her decision.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
A bit off topic but I mean to be fair to her everyone's been complaining about lockdown but no one actually knows how difficult it is to manage an entire state until you're in her position. A lot of naysayers and "could have should have would havers" but no one actually knows the consequence until after. If NSW never went back into lockdown who knows what our economy would have been like. As they always say "In hindsight everything is much clearer". I know her resignation wasn't specifically due to public criticism but it was likely to have been another factor that influenced her decision.
Not off topic, but a very good point. In many ways she could've done better, but ultimately criticisms only arise after she makes a decision and it goes down defectively. The premiership is not an easy job.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Regardless of politics, she seemed quite competent and genuinely caring. Hopefully whoever picks up the job will be able to continue the good effort. I'm pretty sure she mentioned it but it was extremely bad timing, if they really were concerned about justice or fairness then they could've delayed it after the whole pandemic crisis went or became more manageable.

quickoats

HSC
She has done an excellent job at serving the state of NSW and however sad it is to see her go, it is appropriate to see her step down (unlike other politicians cough CPorter). Personally I hope her name is cleared but there really is no path for her to return to politics I'm afraid.

DarkOperator618

HSC
ITS TIME TO GOO

jokes aside tho, she did try and fix this shitshow of a situation

Greninja340

HSC
wait so even if she is cleared she wont be able to continue in politics?

specificagent1

HSC
wait so even if she is cleared she wont be able to continue in politics?
she can ofc, but it is quite difficult to enter politics again after all this and i think her choosing to resign as a whole from parliament is an indication that she doesnt wish to remain in the political arena

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Should her intention be to ultimately distance herself from politics, I believe she would easily be able to find great employment opportunities outside this field. In terms of her educational background, she completed a Bachelor of Arts at USyd in addition to a Master of Commerce at UNSW. Not only that, but in terms of her professional background and prior to entering parliament, she worked as a general manager for one of the larger financial institutions in Australia. She is definitely highly qualified to obtain a respectable business-related role going forward.

quickoats

HSC
she can ofc, but it is quite difficult to enter politics again after all this and i think her choosing to resign as a whole from parliament is an indication that she doesnt wish to remain in the political arena
Her resignation is more about holding ministerial integrity in light of the investigation, rather a choice to step back to get out of the political eye (cough Christian Porter).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Only just got off work. Who is the acting premier at the moment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)