No Creative Title - Minus Marks? (1 Viewer)

hpulido

HSC
Heyyyo!

Would they deduct marks if you didnt have a title for the creative writing?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The HSC is positivly marked, they can't 'take away' marks for anything, they can only give you marks for what you did right. A title is not necessary but can useful if used cleverly.

lychnobity

HSC
The HSC is positivly marked, they can't 'take away' marks for anything, they can only give you marks for what you did right. A title is not necessary but can useful if used cleverly.
+1

You need more rep.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Not this again!!

I learnt from the last thread in the Advanced Paper 1 forum, so wrote a title anyway.

Shortii Tania

im not short, im fun size
HSC
CRAP i totally didnt think of even writing a title!!!
:(

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
You don't need a title. A title can either work positively or negatively - if it ties really well into your creative and relates to the question/stimulus, then it will be marked positively.

However, the creative responses in English Ext 1 are supposed to be first drafts - so writing a title (that's not related to the stimulus) might indicate to the markers that it's a prepared response.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You don't need a title. A title can either work positively or negatively - if it ties really well into your creative and relates to the question/stimulus, then it will be marked positively.

However, the creative responses in English Ext 1 are supposed to be first drafts - so writing a title (that's not related to the stimulus) might indicate to the markers that it's a prepared response.
I don't know exactly what you mean by this but nothing is marked negatively, they do not take away marks

truestar92

HSC

i hope your right about the first draft thing :S i always put titles in i cant believe it slipped my mind this time

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I don't know exactly what you mean by this but nothing is marked negatively, they do not take away marks
Yes, I'm aware of the positive marking scheme. What I meant is that sometimes titles that don't relate to the stimulus might not gain extra marks, and could give the marker the wrong impression (e.g. if the title doesn't relate to the stimulus/question at all, it might indicate to the marker that it is a prepared response).

In the notes from the marking center, etc, the markers always note that ext 1 creative responses should be first drafts - which means that they "shouldn't" really be just a creative response memorised and spewed out during the exam.

I think markers want us to either adapt and change of our practiced responses to properly suit the question/stimulus, or write a story in the exam from scratch based on the question/stimulus. Basically they don't just want superficial references to the stimulus in the first page of our response - they want the stimulus to shape our whole response.

Last edited:

verdades

HSC
Wth, since when did people even bother to put a title in creative pieces anyway?
For a poem, yeah it could help, but otherwise, just no.
Judging you on whatever you write and how you do it, not what you call it.
Wth >.<

ryanskies

HSC
U DONT NEED TITLES FOR CREATIVE WTF... many people have gotten full marks and no title - its not a requirement of the rubric, so ur not marked on it.

epicmel

HSC
especially if you do something like textual dynamics. since we don't really need to follow the conventions of a traditional narrative - i can justify that our creatives don't need titles :p

chaldoking

HSC
It is 'Extension English' for a reason. You have no excuse for failing to encompass the conventions of short-story writing. I would be quite annoyed as a marker - because think about it, they open the short-story hoping to see a title (so their first thought is "no title?"). I think you would be penalised for the dot-point on form and purpose.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
It is 'Extension English' for a reason. You have no excuse for failing to encompass the conventions of short-story writing. I would be quite annoyed as a marker - because think about it, they open the short-story hoping to see a title (so their first thought is "no title?"). I think you would be penalised for the dot-point on form and purpose.
In the words of Gus Gould "No no no no."

Look guys check out some of the standards packages, I can promise you, there are 25/25 markers with no titles.
My English Extension Teacher has been a past English head marker and she has NEVER told us to write a title.

chaldoking

HSC
In the words of Gus Gould "No no no no."

Look guys check out some of the standards packages, I can promise you, there are 25/25 markers with no titles.
My English Extension Teacher has been a past English head marker and she has NEVER told us to write a title.
The marker knows that leaving out a title is not intentional - for some 'subliminal' purpose. It ties the story together - it completes it in a sense. Failing to write one should be penalised. That head marker sounds like a steel-brained neanderthal.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
The marker knows that leaving out a title is not intentional - for some 'subliminal' purpose. It ties the story together - it completes it in a sense. Failing to write one should be penalised. That head marker sounds like a steel-brained neanderthal.
If you use a title that you have prepared in the past, it suggests that the creative is a prepared response.
Seriously dude LOOK at the standard packages if you don't believe me, they are proof that the markers do not care if you have 3 meaningless words slabbed across the top of the page.
What matters is the 1000 words you write after that.

Chapppo

HSC
love the gus gould reference, i agree, its rediculous to think that they might penalise people without titles. the marker, after marking hundreds of creative pieces, will not be shocked or annoyed when he/she opens the booklet and finds no title. it will be marked on the merits of the story itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)