mutiple chice question 13 dodgy (1 Viewer)

HSC
is there actually a correct answer for this??

what energy gycosis produces pyuvic acid as a by product?
the correct answer would be lactic acid system but these were the choices

a) alactacid glycosis
b) anabolic glycosis
C) atp-pc glycosis
d) aerobic glycosis

as far as i knew alactacid sytem was another name 4 atp-pc. but it is the only other anerobic system there.

i think the board of studies has produced a very dodgy question!

forbzy

i agree it was a dodgy question i think the answer is aerobic glycolysis because it was definatly refering to the lactic acid system as it uses muscle glycogen i just used a process of elimination as the other options were all talkin about the
alactic acid system

hec

the answe is definately aerobic glycolisis simply because atp/pc and alactacid are the same....
but the aerobic system does produce pyruvic acid aswell as the anaerobic system except in the aerobic sysytem, pyruvic acid is fuurther broken down to CO2 and H2O whilst in the anaerobic system pyruvic acid is converted to lactic acid

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
the answer is d). for anyone that went to the pdh enrichment day, in the book they have slides, and they show each system and the lactic and aerobic system both have pyruvic acid as by product, and so there was no lactic acid as an answer it must be aerobic.
damn i put c)

Catey

The answer is d) simply because pyrvic acid becomes lactic acid when there is no oxygen present... I didn't think that was a dodgy question at all I think it was simply testing who really knows there stuff

HSC
Originally posted by Catey
The answer is d) simply because pyrvic acid becomes lactic acid when there is no oxygen present... I didn't think that was a dodgy question at all I think it was simply testing who really knows there stuff
no oxygen present... let me think aerobic system = oxygen. am i not right? meaning it would HAVE to be an anerobic sytem, d can't possibly be right because oxygen is present. it is the lactic acid system i tell you!!!! it can'
t be atp-pc! there is NO answer

bec_21

i agree with u susiewithasmile! there is so no answer but i ended up with anabolic glycolosis by default cos the others cant be right....but i know anabolic glycolosis like ISNT A THING so that really pissed me off!!
DODGY QUESTION~!!!

hec

no you're wrong
there is an answer and the answer is d
yes pyruvic acid is converted to lactic acid in the anaerobic system....but you're missing the point
pyruvic acid is also formed in the AEROBIC system-it just converts to co2 and water therefore it produces a different by product

there is no such thing as anaboic glycolisis and the other two are the same....trust me the answer is D i have a diagram that can prove my point and unfortunately this information was not in the textbook so i can understand how it caused confusion

so in summary...pyruvic acid can be formed both WITH O2 and WITHOUT 02 in the different energy systems

NB the question never asked which sysytem converted pyruvic acid into lactic acid, in which case it would have to be anaerobic it just asked which sysytem converted gycogen into pyruvic acid
the BOS is not stupid enough to put in a question with no correct answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)