Music 2 Thoughts?? (1 Viewer)

sarahruth

HSC
What did everybody thing about the exam?
Easier than previous papers or....

sparkerasp

HSC
sarahruth said:
Easier than previous papers or....
I most definitely think so. The melodic dictation was pretty easy (although I admit I probably stuffed up the counting a bit in one bar). The essay question was simply pure bliss: "...choose TWO concepts of your own choice..."

Did anyone get that 1 mark question where you had to name the Italian term: Deciseve, Moderne, uv vup (something). I can't remember how to spell it, but yea. I know what Deciseve and moderne mean, but what did the last one mean?

Amps

HSC
"Decidé, modéré, un peu vif'. French. "Deliberately, at a moderate tempo, a little lively'

I think?

Last question was ridiculously broad. Top stuff! and woo transcription.

r.uss

HSC
eee! I got it. Unsure about Decise or whatever, I just said marked. Modere: moderately, Un peu = a little, vif = lively.

But the melodic dictation was a proper bitch! I found it so hard to get the rhythm correct... singers aren't as distinct as instrumentalists. Oh well. Here's hoping for marks for contour!

Questions were dreamy because there were scores for each. That said, I'm still going to struggle for a 30/35.

sarahruth

HSC
yeah I was stoked - no transposition and the essay was sooooo easy and broad lol. Though there seemed to be alot more short answers than usual?

smartrosa

HSC
i thought the melodic dictation was a bit tricky because the singer fully screwed around with the words making it hard to pin point each note to the word..... but at least it was only worth 5 marks this year but they only played it five times instead of six.

yes the essay question was basically a make-your-own-question.... how easy was that!
Except unfortunately our class had studied the Messiean quartet so they were a little screwed when the question said we couldnt use any from the paper.

"décidé, modéré, un peu vif."
Sorry we cant all speak french board of studies... unfortunately i think i translated it literally whihc is: 'decided, moderated and a little lively'
but that was such a subjective response!!!

And what did people do for the two symbols in the Messiean question?
THe first one was definitely an artificial harmonic
the second one, most people wrote grace note which is the general term but i wrote appoggiatura... which is an italian term but because it had the little stroke through the smaller note, its actually called an acciaccatura... i hope they accept both!

ANYWAY

otherwise i think it was a good exam. still cant beleive that essay question... : P

sparkerasp

HSC
Amps said:
"Decidé, modéré, un peu vif'. French. "Deliberately, at a moderate tempo, a little lively'
rosa.gollan said:
"décidé, modéré, un peu vif."
Sorry we cant all speak french board of studies... unfortunately i think i translated it literally whihc is: 'decided, moderated and a little lively'
but that was such a subjective response!!!
lol damn. I put "Decisively, constant and with tension". Seems like everyone got it except me :(

RandyCambell

HSC
Yeh, exam was definately easier than previous years, and I agree with sparkerasp, the essay was awesome, I even predicted they'd ask for an Additional Topic again.

Melody dictation was a bitch though, the changes of tempo (rits and stuff) really threw me.

Ah well, pretty sweet all in all.

steban

violin dude
HSC
I thought the exam was harder actually...

well except the essay, that was piss easy ...a little TOO broad maybe

but the aural section, starting the exam with the dictation threw me..the change in format was unexpected.

i thought the questions were rather queer this year...like....compare the piano writing...wtf

and like, was it jsut me, or did people feel the harder questions that needed more time...were given no time...?

like, past papers, there was a suppper long, slow excerpt, PLUS like 5 mins to answer the question that was worth 3 marks or sumthin.

This year nearly everything was given 2 mins for an answer....wayyy not enough time.

and questions that didnt even need time (naming the artificial harmonic and the acciaccatura), we were given like 2 extra mins...
i went ahead and wrote my quotes for the essay...but arr, the timing of the exam was shit

overall it was an okish exam, but i think the questions are becoming weirder as the years progress

JustinM23

HSC
Only did Music 1. But Music 2 seems so much more interesting, from what I've read. If only my school offered Music 2, I would have learn so much more about music.

sparkerasp

HSC
steban said:
and like, was it jsut me, or did people feel the harder questions that needed more time...were given no time...?
like, past papers, there was a suppper long, slow excerpt, PLUS like 5 mins to answer the question that was worth 3 marks or sumthin.
This year nearly everything was given 2 mins for an answer....wayyy not enough time.
lol. I had excellent timing. After the melodic dictation, I was just wizzing through the paper. By the time the recording was mid through question 2, I was doing question 3, and by the time the recording was up to question 3, I was doing question 4 lol.
So basically I could have had a lot of time to write the essay. Unfortunately, the supervisors cut a bit of time off [ie. they didn't let the recording finish].

JustinM23 said:
Only did Music 1. But Music 2 seems so much more interesting, from what I've read. If only my school offered Music 2, I would have learn so much more about music.
Yeah, music 2 is pretty good. It's too bad your school doesn't offer it, but why not? Teacher overload?

JustinM23

HSC
I'm not actually sure why they don't offer it. My teacher I suspect is more than qualified to teach it. =S

D

doobi18

I reckon on the whole it was pretty good.

Melody dictation was better than others I've had, but the vocal inflections made it a bit hard.

I just put "harmonic" and "acciaccatura".

For the translation I put "Strong, at a moderate tempo, with a little energy" – hope that's close enough!

All of the other written answers were easy, especially the double "three points".

Essay was amazing - essentially "write about whatever you want"!

doobi18

PS - biggest coincidence ever - I am seeing La Bohème (Q1) tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:

brancajen.

HSC
I thought the exam was actually quite good, considering there was no transposition to be done AND the essay question was soo good!
they were pretty much asking us to do whatever we wanted!
I was happy with that.
The only thing that stumped me a bit was the melodic dictation since it wasn't for an instrument but a singer. I think I did alright though.
The other shorter questions were pretty good too, all stuff we'd covered.

Overall quite a good exam! :D

^_^

KJ123

HSC
i thought the exam was quite easy cause it was all about your interpretation.

i know the guy who wrote it and i'm going to send him a thank you letter for NO transposition!!!!

anyway...good luck to people who still have exams!

errriot

HSC
i thought the exam was stupidly easy.... especially the essay question, which was even easier cos i had 45 minutes instead of 20 to do it :D

sparkerasp

HSC
nty said:
How did you get 45 mins?
He went ahead (same with me) i.e. try to answer the question as though the recording is going to be played ONCE or TWICE only. Therefore, by the time he got up to question 4, the cd was probably playing the first excerpt from question 3.

Seriously, the CD was only necessary for the melodic dictation question this year, you could basically have ignored the CD after you finished the melodic dictation.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
sparkerasp said:
He went ahead (same with me) i.e. try to answer the question as though the recording is going to be played ONCE or TWICE only. Therefore, by the time he got up to question 4, the cd was probably playing the first excerpt from question 3.

Seriously, the CD was only necessary for the melodic dictation question this year, you could basically have ignored the CD after you finished the melodic dictation.
qft - I only listen to melody dictation and then complete the rest of the paper on my own. especially since the scores in this paper were so easily readable, i really didnt need the audio (i'm so pretentious).

Melody dictation annoyed me, in that i had planned for 6 playings D:, lol i loved the messian score with the french translation - easy easy marks. overall a harder paper than previous years, but still nothing terrible. might increase the scaling this year as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)