multiple choice on Pasteur (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
In his experiment, Pasteur used specifically designed flasks and broth. What steps would he need to do in order to make this experiment VALID?

(A) pour equal amounts of broth into 2 DIFFERENT types of flask. Boil both flasks for the same time.

OR

(B) pour equal amounts of broth into identical flasks. Boil both flasks for the same time.

MysteryMoon

HSC
Answer: A
Since the experiment is used to test whether air-borne bacteria is the cause of decay in broth, it is the correct procedure to pour broth into DIFFERENT types of flasks.
One would be straight-necked and the other is swan-necked. The bacteria will easily get into straight-necked flask and cause decay, while no bacteria can get into the swan-necked flask.
This is what VALIDITY means. Is it the correct procedure that allows you to get the required results to the hypothesis?

That's why the answer can't be B because you can't really compare results if they're both the same type of flask. It's more related to reliability.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Answer: A
Since the experiment is used to test whether air-borne bacteria is the cause of decay in broth, it is the correct procedure to pour broth into DIFFERENT types of flasks.
One would be straight-necked and the other is swan-necked. The bacteria will easily get into straight-necked flask and cause decay, while no bacteria can get into the swan-necked flask.
This is what VALIDITY means. Is it the correct procedure that allows you to get the required results to the hypothesis?

That's why the answer can't be B because you can't really compare results if they're both the same type of flask. It's more related to reliability.
My answer was A too but the apparent ans is B off the answer sheet. Is the answer wrong or did pasteur used two 'identical' flasks (i.e both swan-necked) but broke one of the flask's necks when conducting his exp to disprove spontaneous generation?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Poor wording. Could be B, ie potentially different results arising of one flask is size of swimming pool, other is size of hand. Ya know wat I mean. Or like something like one flask is made out of xyz material. Obvs all of wat i said is jibberish. But yeah.

I personally woulda gone with A

MysteryMoon

HSC
My answer was A too but the apparent ans is B off the answer sheet. Is the answer wrong or did pasteur used two 'identical' flasks (i.e both swan-necked) but broke one of the flask's necks when conducting his exp to disprove spontaneous generation?
I agree with oblivious ninja. The wording makes the question seem too general. Maybe you can ask your teacher on what he/she thinks.
But the answer sheet could be wrong too so I don't know at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)