Module B - Elective 3: Retreat from the Global (Essay) (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Question 8:

[TEXT]

Use this text as the starting point for an essay in which you evaluate the ways that texts explore the impact of global culture on the traditional boundries of time and space.

In your essay, draw on your knowledge and understanding of TWO prescribed texts as weel as other texts of your own choosing.

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It's one hour before the exam. I just wrote up my final quotes list and committed it to memory. I predict that this exam will be absolutely foul. More later :p

2muchwork

HSC
abnormal. strange having to use a quote for our imaginative piece and that cartoon thingy for our essay.

yes very different but i wrote alot, alot of crap mainly but pfft...

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
ergh i thought the picture thingy was MEAN! I sat there and chuckled at all the pretty pictures for about five minutes - then i realised that i should probably actually DO something LOL.... but yea, the pic definately threw me! Had nooo idea how to start an essay on it so i started talking about how globalistation is a direct effect, not cause, of modernisation :s

ahh well! :p

HSC
N/A
Was confused.

Still somewhat confused. I did soooo much better in Trials... *shudder*

I've never done an essay like that before. In retrospect I think the place and time thing means personal and historical context (which I covered moderately well) but the wording threw me off big-time.

Am still confused.

But oh well, it's over now! YAY!!!

trickpat23

The catoon bit was weird. Do u think they were after constant reference to the cartoon of merely a portrail of of the same themes?

waterhelen

no more retreat

McLake said:
How was it?
feels great to finally shake off the overlooming last english exam.
but now that it's finished, i feel free as a bird and liberated :)
except for the exams next week...
well i have to admit the mark twain quote sucked.
and my creative was full of crap because i winged it on the spot.
should've prepared more efficiently i guessed
but the essay was quite general and i think it was alright.
amusing stimulus though!

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Ahhh i spent 70 minutes on the essay for 15 pages :( , what a waste of time.
The picture really disoriented me, i never expected it.
That old fogey sitting down was a real surprise indeed.
Much like the quote from Mark Twain...
I thought the essay was poo, but oh well.. i shuldnt have to worry about it ever again :)

Heaney, Proulx, Sitch - Be gone!

mathock

HSC
it was ok, my length was ok, about 9 pages in an hour, but i didnt get to talk about heaneys poems in great depth, i spent too much time shifting between concepts and themes, not enough time exploring the texts... the castle fitted in well with the question, but heaney didnt at all :( i had to introduce the idea of "circle of life" to have something to say about heaney... tied it in well tho... as my eng teacher says, i have very fluid writing, i just need to do more work :D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I ignored the picture :p

"Oh that's pretty..."

Anyway, question 5! YAY! I did a composition (narrative) earlier in the year for the half yearlies and got 23/25 for it. It pretty much planted it straight down on the page verbaitim because it fit the quote perfectly. So maybe I can hope for something over 80%!

P.S. Composition - 12 pages, Essay - 14 pages. Word count based on 5 words per line and 20 lines per page - 2600 wds

morgang

Retreat from the global

I thought it was a fairly good exaam and integrated the stimulus during the intro of my essay and from there talked about the texts.

I worte 23 pages for that question and 19 pages for question 5 which i did a journal

mathock

HSC
morgang said:
I thought it was a fairly good exaam and integrated the stimulus during the intro of my essay and from there talked about the texts.

I worte 23 pages for that question and 19 pages for question 5 which i did a journal
should have just written a novel, it would have been shorter :D do you have big writing?? i wrote 20 pages for the 2 questons, go me \m/

but i have fairly small writing, about 8 words a line

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It was alright.

I wrote a 5 page feature article philosophising the prescribed comment, had Friedrich Nietzche and Jean-Francos Lyotard's theories in there. 5 pages is piss short, but I was concise, avoiding pissing off the examiner with "beat around the bush" definitions and opinions.

I did have a prepared short story, but it was incompatible with the prescribed comment. My protagonist was part of the minority, not the majority, so yeah.

The essay was crap. It referred to nothing about paradigms so I didn't mention those. I wrote 2/3 of a page for each of my texts, and that includes answering the essay question and providing a few technique. Brief, but it answers the question and has relevant techniques, which is good.

Hopefully I get better than the flimsy 13% I got in my Trials. I'm just relieved it's over. [Refer to "Screw you Seamus!" thread].

= Jennifer =

HSC
that exam was a stupid exam....the picture confused me so i wrote about 12 pages of mindless dribble.....the creative writing i didn;t realise it had to be creative until the last five minutes so i shoved a speech intro and conclusion on my essay...lets just hope the bos reflect on my assessment mark and rank there was so much i could write but the time factor got in the way :vcross:

dancegal

HSC
ooohhhh that was bad...could have answered it better than i actually did.
i did 19 pages for the essay, didnt integrate the visual as well as i could have & link it properly to my texts....ahh im so angry at myself!
the creative was a bit of a joke...i did a feature article pretending to be the son from the boat who had read the shipping news and was reflecting on it (yeh i know, random!!). threw in some crap from philosophers Jean Paul Satre and Eric Hoffer and basically just wasted 12 pages.
oh well at least its over :)

Farcanell

Hmm...

I stuffed up the essay... Is it just me or did the stimulus have a strong bias towards structuralism & post-colonialism and away from hybridity? Either way thats how I interpreted and it certainly threw me...

Creative task was pretty close to gold though I reckon. Not too restrictive thankfully.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
OH GOD IT WAS TERRIBLE!!! I HATED IT!!!

well im going to the gym now
i never go to the gym
thats what this exam has driven me to for stress relief! my god!

almost_angelic

HSC
i thought it was a pretty good exam actually. everyone seemed to do stories! my composition was a reading of an autobiography, the main topic focusing on the value of monogamy, the institution of marriage, and social conditioning... philosophical paradgims... but im so over it now. no more english ever!

2muchwork

HSC
i wrote 13 pages for my creative, it seemed alright for something i plucked out of my bottom on the spot, wrote ten for the essay, 2 pages of drivel on the cartoon and then things seemed to get on track...wrote about paradigms although it wasnt specifically asked for just to be safe..anyone else write about them?

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
im not sure what to think, whenever i think i went well it usually turns out i didnt, not always but usually, and i personally didnt think it was abysmal, it was weird but not terrible
i think i went alright
11 pages for both ergh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)