Module B - Elective 1: The Individual & Society (Essay) (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Question 6

[TEXT]

Use this text as the starting point for an essay in which you evaluate the way that texts explore nineteenth centuary ways of thinking in their representations of individuals and their social contexts.

In your essay, draw on your knowledge and understanding of TWO prescribed texts as well as other texts of your own choosing.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It wasn't overly difficult.

Greek, the image was no biggy. It said starting point so I just referred to it in my intro :)

waterfowl

HSC
The image kind of threw me off at first, but I just wrote about it through the essay as a metaphor for the individuals wanting to break from the cage of social convention yada yada yada......

FYI: I Wrote about my two prescribed texts Pride and Prejudice, A Doll House, and my two of own choosing were A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde and the recent film adaptation of Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
waterfowl said:
The image kind of threw me off at first, but I just wrote about it through the essay as a metaphor for the individuals wanting to break from the cage of social convention yada yada yada......
:uhhuh: i did that too...the whole cage, entrapment, barriers, etc.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I began by analysing the picture, and then I went on about pride and prejudice, threw in a bit of A dolls house, mentioned My Last Duchess and three pieces of related material, though not thoroughly.

There, even without the supplementary material, is far too much, even with only two prescribed texts, for an hours worth of writing. I could do Pride and Prejudice for well more than an hour.

Ah well, least it's done.

Cicciolina

HSC
waterfowl said:

FYI: I Wrote about my two prescribed texts Pride and Prejudice, A Doll House, and my two of own choosing were A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde and the recent film adaptation of Charles Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby
Mine was pretty similar - same concept of the cage and being imprisoned, but with P&P, Nicholas Nickleby, Portrait of a Lady and Swan Lake.

waterfowl

HSC
Cicciolina said:
Mine was pretty similar - same concept of the cage and being imprisoned, but with P&P, Nicholas Nickleby, Portrait of a Lady and Swan Lake.
Did you do the recent film of NN, or the book? I really liked the film, not just from an analytical extension english perspective nor a future film makers' perspective, but it was just a good movie.

pHaTso

HSC
i was happy with it. i wrote 14 pages. i pretty much interpreted the picture/question as saying, regardless of how self-contained an individual is in their society & as much as they hold back, their true self (thoughts, values etc.) come out upon analysis. meaning... the subconscious doesn't lie!! :)

i did Browning (Porphyria/Duchess), P&P, as well as Wilde (Dorian Gray) n Edvard Munch (The Scream).

GB

imperfek_anjel

lolz the image was a bit how ya going, but i dont think i referred to it at all, since it sed 'use it like a startin pt' or woteva....oh well tough cookie....the actual question that was below tellin us wot ta do wasnt so bad......

^iMPerFek AnJeL^

pHaTso

HSC
oh ok kool. i interpreted the picture as the brain, being an individual & a realist... "trapped" in a cage due to social conventions. therefore, when writing compositions, the individuals had to write according to Victorian paradigms. however, although they are "trapped", their real views are brought fourth, coz essentially... ur subconcious comes out.

phantastic

fucking simple ... question was very very fair and easy... if i had studied id have gotten 100% but thats my own problem = p.. lol.. but yeah.. very fair and easy... no tricky bullshit.. straight forward stuff

also dont be a retard and blame the picture... it was jstu stimulus material.. if you didnt realise that the image for I&S was symbolising social conventions etc and all the stuff you've learned... you're a fucking idiot...

tintin

HSC
did we really have to 'evaluate' the texts? - because i certainly didn't....

i just kind of talked randomly about how the individual was trapped by society etc. etc.

pHaTso

HSC
well ofcourse, it was a critical essay. i "evaluated" my texts as in, what they were saying about their society. eg: Browning writing about the aristocracy, then criticising it. also HOW they did it - techs, quotes etc. i also always linked my paragraphs back to the question, so i answered it. so as long as u did that, i think u'll b alright, but from the sounds of u saying u didn't really do evaluating, idk.

tintin

HSC
yeah well i did talk about techniques and all that, except i didn't explicitly say 'Browning's poetry is successful because blah blah blah....'

because that's what evaluating is, isn't it, making a judgement?

pHaTso

HSC
yes, but i did make a judgement with all of my content. i explained everything, backed it all up, linked it to the question, explored all ideas/values etc. it was evaluating anyway... i mean the question asked to evaluate how texts explored 19th Centurty ways of thinking. so it all fit in well with my essay :)

GB

boxheadman

Evans River K-12 (Don’t worry, I haven’t herd of i
HSC
I used the graphic as sorta another supplimentary and found myself analysing it. I think thats where I fucked up, it wasnt really used as a "starting point" per se, more as a 'finishing point'. I found I had like 8 mins left after I had finished what I had planned so i went on for half a parra trying to link cartesian dualism shit to the individual&society. not verry easy, but it was helpful for a summing up of paradigms.

gotta say the main prob was I kept looking over at the awesome postmodernism question and thinking "that looks interesting, wish we had done that".

Yea, good question, wrote 16 pgs of my gigantic, messy writing.

Senator04

HSC
N/A
Long time reader first time responder. I really text was really broad and annoying, it was the sort of bad drawing that is really crap, yet has so many metaphors in it that it is really easy to talk about.

Basically I said that the representation of inviduals by whomever is seen usually to expose certain flaws in the social context. Then I went on to say that the cage itself is not the key factor it is the individuals reaction to the cage that defines their character. If an individual challenges the social paradigms and institutions which represent the cage, then they become not just an individual who escapes the confines of the "cage" but also an agent of change to perhaps bring new emergent paradigms to the surface. Hence we admire the character. Eg Margaret North and South and Lizzie P and P. If the character doesn't seek to question these paradigms and institutions and blindly follows the system we have perhaps a negative view of them, and their life is perhaps slightly tragic in its missed oppurtunities, for this i used Charlotte, and later on Newland from Age of Innocence.

Hmm that is all a bit mumbo jumbo, but I ain't rephrasising it.

I tried to focus on the economic and philosophical paradigms, and specifically the institutions of marriage, class and industry. Threw a few buzz words in there and a bit of rhetoric got 14 pages out, but well perhaps if what ive written above makes no sense then my essay won't either.

aywkubt_tod

i used it for my intro and said it represented how context shaped and conforms writing as well as validating texts for readers from diff. time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)