Module A - Elective 3: Speculative Fiction (Essay) (1 Viewer)

cthulhu lives

gordo shut the hell up, im sure i can speak for a lot of people when i say no one wants to listen to your pompous bullshit!
now there is some FREE life advice for you..

ALSO: take note of the "edit" button... it helps you NOT make triple posts!

Last edited:

_dies_

University Member
HSC
i guess thats the advantage of a private education over a public education. Too bad we werent 'privelleged' enough to experience it i suppose. The government tries i spose... not hard enough for the young people of today.. especially with the rise in hecks fees!! STUPID GOVERNMENT! hehehe... My vocalulary exceeds many that i know but is not nearly as vast as yours. But then again, im but a mere yr 12 student who WANTS to furthur her study, but may not be able to due to financial resrictions or whatever, not from lack of trying.

"The rich get richer. The poor get poorer..."

I think you're all great and if you are able to understand such developed concepts then i envy your knowledge and hope to ascertain the knowledge to earn a good job :) hehehe... tired.

cynical

gordo said:
dude, i always speak like that in regards to english, there is no intended arrogance, we just have a very good teacher who teaches us at a university level and the complex ideas that we learned and i presented throughout my essay will show the marker i didn;t whip out a thesauraus, rather that the course is actually extension english and rules out all the dumb shits in advanced who still call nouns naming words, verbs doing words and adjectives describing words.
It's good that you have a good teacher, obviously, but I still feel that it's entirely uncessary to use such complex language.. I mean yes, sure, give them an idea of the extent of your vocabulary, but it gives (to me, at least) the feeling that you're just going overboard to impress. It is unfortunate that there is such a high amount of scum in Ext, but surely you should be able to get past that by essay structure and the strength of your ideas alone, and not just a massive vocabulary (and by massive, I mean the size of the words, not necessary a concept of their meaning).

gordo said:
genre being an ex post facto phenomena means it is a concept that arises after a group of texts closely resembling each other are viewed under common boundaries.

If you really care and would like to extend your understanind of the spec fic genre, beyond the super ficial school level, i can't see y u would cause ENGLISH IS OVER FOREVER.
though go read the article
'Understanding Specualtive fiction: the genres of fantasy and science fiction'
by Kim Selling from the university of sydney (2004)

then u will begin to understand the profound understanding of the genre that we have been taught and where i coming from in regards to my essay.
It's good to learn something new (the latin phrase, etc), but really, I have to stick by my statement that I feel you were just a touch excessive. Also, arrogance is REALLY not attractive, and while it is good that you feel you went well, have at least some consideration for those of us who are reading this and going "oh shit". You're not going to make anyone jealous by showing off - you'll just make them all hate you.
(On a side note; I find it amusing that you use internet talk such as 'u' etc, when English is your pet subject. I can't stand poor grammer and use of those kind of terms, and while I'm aware that they take slightly less time to type out, surely anyone with a true love for this language would go to the effort?)

cthulhu lives

i think cynical just completed my argument for me. thankyou cynical.
i wish you good luck in your life "gordo" i hope your thesaurus gets you further than cerntrelink.

nadel11

Hey

I think everyone should just chil the f__k out!

The exams over, im sure u all did and tried ure best...gordo good onya for being so confident and im sure ull succeed with or without the head of english under ure wing and the rest of u guys should just leave it. Btw i wish u all the best for the rest.

Heres a quote that i think u can all do with atm:

"In a land of insecurity, curly haired students want straight hair, heavy students want to loose weight and skinny ones want to gain it and everybody wants to be somebody else. The one true beauty is the person who truly knows themselves and is happy with wat they know."

good night all and PEACE!

Donshe

HSC
N/A
Looks like you've been had fed well by the teacher Gordo.

:)

Literature is meant to be for the common man, why rule out the majority by using pompous, pretentious words?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
lol
ok
i'll cave in
cause i was annoyed last night cause i was watching hidalgo and my mum turned it off half way through and made me go to bed cause she's a nazi mum during the hsc period.
so i was pissed off wen i came back to my room and posted all that.

yes reading it back now it sounded pompous, cause thats wat the internet does, its ppl sitting behind keyboards. communication is like 10% vocabularly and the rest is physiology etc, which u can't have on the net.

so i take back the pompousity, but still propose the point that english is taught at different levels at different schools, therefore the arrogance implied in the vocab is obviously relative. but to be frank all the sheet we get handed out for our spec fiction are all in discourse like i used above, so its not entirely my fault that i write like that :)

the exam is over, more importantly english is over
and in about an hour hiodalgo will be over

good luck for the rest of your exams fellas.

Donshe

HSC
N/A
Haha its cool man. I agree about using what the teachers have given out. As long as you realise that what you are writing is only using big words to seem important.

If you look at the intelectually elite wirters, Arundhati Roy for example, they use the common mans language, and I can guarantee that her intellect would surpass all of NSW's English Departments put together.

As for levels of schools, yet again, I disagree. It all comes down to the psyche of the teacher, if she doesn't know what she is talking about, she will just hand out pompous words to cover the lack of substance in ideas. Given that, I go to one of the top schools in the state, and our teacher is strongly against what she calls "bullshit".

In conclusion, English can suck me.

Its over !

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hehehehehe. Now lookies at that. An arguement broke out.

Sophisticated vocabulary does not reveal 'better teaching'...merely a good vocabulary.

Peace out everyone. As Gordo said, good luck in the rest of your exams... :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
hidalgo was amazing!
i almost shed a tear, except it was aragorn from lord of the rings riding the horse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)