Module A 'context' (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
so the question asked specifically about context.
did this mean we had to put MORE context than usual? Or could it just be a generic response and in doing so, placing emphasis/answering the question?

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
did this mean we had to put MORE context than usual? Or could it just be a generic response and in doing so, placing emphasis/answering the question?
I was worried about the same thing, I did EBB and Gatsby. While I did mention context foR both and used themes such as ideal love to 'accentuate the distinction' i'm not sure whether I had to put heaps more on context :/

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
My entire essay was about context pretty much. I don't prepare essays, but I did King Richard III and Looking for Richard, and they're both massively impacted by their respective contexts, so I got to ramble on quite a bit :D

It did have in the question, and the marking criteria that they were looking for the 'relationships between texts and context', so I'd say you probably should have focussed on context for most, if not all, of your essay.

themanman

HSC
N/A
you put the same amount as u usually would

Context > SHapes themes

so u usually start a pgraph talking about the context and the the themes that reflect that

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
you put the same amount as u usually would

Context > SHapes themes

so u usually start a pgraph talking about the context and the the themes that reflect that
Ok so take this as an example:

I used ideal love as a theme to represent a context where, in the victoria era, ideal love was considered unattainable. Whereas for Gatsby, during a context of hollowness, cynicism and greed, ideal love could be obtained and that the love was only used as a vessel to represent self worth and ambition - thus representing the disintegration of the american dream at this time. LOL FML im packing shit

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure why you wouldn't have expected a question about context. The Module is geared towards context: (syllabus)
This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.
Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.
But to answer you question, yes, your answer should have been focused around context, values of the time and more context, as per the rubric: evaluate the relationships between texts and contexts

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
The challenge of this module was to demonstrate a delicate coexistence between both the context and its effect on themes, which in turn accentuates the distinction.
You cant just talk only about context of your texts with no reference to the bearing it has on what you've studied. You might as well just research the context in which it was written and not study the text at all.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, the very core of Texts in Time is to analyse the contexts of the two texts, and compare them. So most a lot of it should be context, as opposed to the other modules.

So for example, for Franken runner you had Shelley's romantic writers challenging the Age of Enlightenment's logic/rationality in an era of revolution, and so she like shits on scientists and their "unfettered imagination and unbridled ambition", and her implicit criticism of scientists like Humphrey Davy, Galvani and Aldini, etc

Whereas for Bladerunner, you have the increasing capitalist and environmental concerns of the late 20C, and cloning/IVF and globalism and stuff, so you get Tyrell with his bigass company controlling everything.

o_0

HSC
well i spose the question was asking for you to draw links from the text's values to their specific contexts..

i did john donne and w;t so i talked about how different values were shaped by the context and how they paralleled/challenged the same values from a more modern context (secular vs religious), and that through this, these values gained relevance and were able to resonate in modern society.

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ohhh that text was called w;t!!! LOL
i thought it was a bad keyboard typo

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey guys, do you think I will be put down if I answered the question with the aid of my thesis which had influence from a past exam?
For example last years exam was about how individuals push values or something. In our exam, I talked a whole lot about context relating to the question and essentially answering it, but done it through a 'individuals pushing values' approach. Will I be marked down?

smartalec

HSC
yeah, I pretty much did what theman did, not so much the wolfslunch way. It certainly had context but it was like around a 50/50 split of context and ideas or something like that. would that be ok ?

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, I pretty much did what theman did, not so much the wolfslunch way. It certainly had context but it was like around a 50/50 split of context and ideas or something like that. would that be ok ?
Thats what I did, I don't see the problem with doing that...

silence--

HSC
my teacher always emphasises that 'they are not looking for a history lesson'

context has to be linked to the text. so yeah, i dont see a problem with 50/50

herbs1

HSC
I think 50% on just context is too much. I had several points under each idea, and supported 2 or so with reference to specific contexts while the others were general context of the time. at most, mine was like 25% context, because in the end, they are looking at techniques and textual knowledge where you draw these references from

D94

HSC
N/A
Not that it matters now, but you had to discuss the context in relation to textual evidence, which inadvertently should have linked to a theme or a value or something which has relevance to the question.

silence--

HSC
^lol, now that i think about this actually, 50/50 seems like a bit much. i think 75/25 (25 being the context) is fine (that's what i did). but point being that you need a significant focus on values/themes rather than just solely an essay based on context.

HSC
Uni Grad
I wrote around 40% context, 60% quotes + techniques + analysis, but also integrated the latter so that I could demonstrate that it reflected the context of the time...
I structured my essay based on themes, then wrote the context in relation to the theme and then analyzed. Though this time I had far less analysis than my previous practice essays I wrote.

Imo you would have to link a lot of the analysis you wrote to the context of the times.

theone111

HSC
N/A
lol u guise...

this isnt modern history (i agree)

Paragraph Structure:
Opening statement (1 - 2 lines)
Context (1 - 2 lines)
Themes (7 - 8+ lines) - context can be moulded inbetween ocassionally
Concluding statement

id say its 20% context 80% text

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)