Modern History Historical Investigation Prelim (1 Viewer)

cienna

HSC
I have a large essay of 2000 words that must go along with an oral component (speech). I need a topic, some questions to help me and and inquiry question. I am really not sure about how to go about this so some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

atcha

HSC
N/A
Can it be on anything related to modern?

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
I have a large essay of 2000 words that must go along with an oral component (speech). I need a topic, some questions to help me and and inquiry question. I am really not sure about how to go about this so some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The historical investigation is a fantastic opportunity for independent research on something that interests you! We had 16 hours (I think) to complete ours. I ended up totally cramming at the end but got full marks yay!:)

Choose something you love, that way you'll be able to sustain your study without wanting to neck up. My topic was something along the lines of "Assess the impact of technological and scientific advancements during the 1950s and 60s on the liberation of women.".

Your topic should be just a sentence that uses a Board Verb to structure you response. You're pretty much writing a question for an essay, answering that question then commentating on it through a speech or presentation. Our study was limited to 1900 onwards. But off the top of my head, Modern covers from the 1800s onwards (this is debated so much), so you can study anything from Napoleon onwards. Ask your teacher.

Keep your topic broad enough so that you'll have points to talk about but not too broad so that you just brain dump about a whole decade or something. Some people in my class studied the Cuban Missile Crisis, Jack the Ripper, Pol Pot's Regime in Cambodia, that cute little island off Japan that I can't remember to name of...

Don't be scared of the speech. Speeches are great.

Also, do you have to submit a logbook as well? We did.

Your inquiry questions should be pretty narrow within the confines of your overarching topic. Usually these will each be subtly addressed as a paragraph in the essay.

I'll see if I have mine from last year still on my computer... Drop me a PM and I'll email the files over :)

Good luck :)

-m.s.

cienna

HSC
Oh wow thanks! I really appreciate your help

swagster0906

HSC
Hey we have a logbook for the project, just wondering what exactly needs to go in our logbook? What do we have to write in it?

16zo16

HSC
Im really stuck i am doing my historical investigation on South Sudan Independence and cant seem to get started or have a structure to go off... Please Help

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Im really stuck i am doing my historical investigation on South Sudan Independence and cant seem to get started or have a structure to go off... Please Help
Hi there :)

First you need to create a main topic that you will be studying, eg: Assess the impact of imperialism on the development of independent South Sudan. (that's just off the top of my head, I know very little about South Sudan, but you get the picture) Make sure you use an BOS verb such as explain, assess, evaluate to direct your research.

Next, create a few topic questions to support your overarching question, eg:

- How did the first and second South Sudanese civil wars affect goals for independence?
- To what extent did protest against imperial forces help achieve independence in South Sudan?

Have about 3-5 of these mini questions for your essay paragraphs. There's your structure! :)

To provide evidence of your consistent effort or any changes in direction keep a logbook. You can put pictures or graphs or article links in this. Remember to date each entry and proof read it over before completion.

My class had to do an oral presentation. I did a speech and mini documentary as well as my essay. Find an interesting topic, work consistently, keep in contact with your teacher to make sure you're heading on the right track and enjoy what you're studying. I've found my historical investigation topic is useful knowledge about the world.

Message me if you have any queries :) (that goes to anyone needing help)

- moonie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)